Topic locked
SKYPE Dec 01, 2008
Im sure this has been discussed many times (i have searched the forums) I just wanted an update

Does skype still nt work in dubai?

Are there anyways round this?

Are there any other VOIP or internet phone services working in dubai eg - Tesco?

Thanks

golfpro
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 01, 2008
alot of voip services...where do u call more often??
ahmeed80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 01, 2008
We shall be moving to Dubai during 2009, and wouldl like to call
1)UK
2)France

Cheers
golfpro
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 02, 2008
It works in Dubai but it's better to download it somewhere else.
I had to download it here using some peculiar methods.
Smylga
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 02, 2008
The internet filter/proxy here in the UAE will not let you download skype or create an account (not sure about the last one actually).

... But if you already have skype installed and an account it works fine calling computer to computer. Etisalat block you calling from here to a mobile or fixed line in another country, presumably so they can make money with international calls.

People overseas can call you from a phone or a computer to your mobile, but when my friends tried the call quality was really bad, almost so bad that it was not worth it.

I use skype all the time to phone my friends and family, but only computer to computer obviously. The quality is just dependent on your internet connection (4Mbps Etisalat) and I think it's better because you have video too.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Re: SKYPE Dec 03, 2008
golfpro wrote:Im sure this has been discussed many times (i have searched the forums) I just wanted an update

Does skype still nt work in dubai?

Are there anyways round this?

Are there any other VOIP or internet phone services working in dubai eg - Tesco?

Thanks

wouldn't know about dubai but in sharjah where i live, skype works perfectly..
xl
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Re: SKYPE Dec 04, 2008
muyesser wrote:wouldn't know about dubai but in sharjah where i live, skype works perfectly..
xl

But there is Works, and Works-Works. Are you able to call someones mobile or fixed line overseas, rather than just their computer?
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 04, 2008
You have to uplaod Skype outside the UAE as their web site is blocked from here (unless you have a web tunnel programme) once onboard, it works fine, just log in at an internet cafe from time to time to keep it refreshed. If you stay on the same IP for any length of time, you will have it blocked eventually.

Etisalat will allow VoIP soon when they stop all free local calls. At the moment, they make all their billions from international calls and when they make a dirham or two from VoIP, it will be officially allowed.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 10, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:You have to uplaod Skype outside the UAE as their web site is blocked from here (unless you have a web tunnel programme) once onboard, it works fine, just log in at an internet cafe from time to time to keep it refreshed. If you stay on the same IP for any length of time, you will have it blocked eventually.

Etisalat will allow VoIP soon when they stop all free local calls. At the moment, they make all their billions from international calls and when they make a dirham or two from VoIP, it will be officially allowed.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Yes, right! I have some Dubai customers and we always talking in skype.
phoenix3d
Dubai Forum User

Feb 05, 2009
skype is cool...what i like about it is the toolbar on internet browser can detect automatically phone number from which country people are coming from. This is quite a useful stuff to me..
frontier2002
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 19, 2009
Yes, you right but if you want to download skype you can do it from Dubai anytime.
If you have a hosting abroad, go to your server and download from there.

No need proxy
Alineah
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 20, 2009
I contact most of my clients via Skype. you can download direct from skype them selves the ip has not been blocked...
mckenzie
Dubai Forums Member

May 25, 2009
I don't think that there is anything wrong with settling for computer to computer conversations. Most of my family and friends have computers. If their computers are too old and don't feature a built-in camera, tell 'em to buy a $20 Logitech webcam. If talking to their favorite son/grandson/buddy/brother/whatever isn't worth the 20 bucks, then it's a good thing that I moved halfway across the world!!
^^GP^^
Dubai Forum Guest

May 26, 2009
I think there are many VOIP providers other than Skype if its blocked we may try better!
Salih
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 05, 2009
The skype pages is still blocked in Dubai. Best to use a shield if you want to skype out or download the skype software.

Bushman
Bushman
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 16, 2009
Hi Guys,

I think there are lots of Internet phone service providers entire world but in Dubai viop phone service is restricted.

Regards
Arnold
Arnold
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 29, 2009
I have a a copy i downloaded from uk. Skype seems to work its just very testing usually takes me 10-15 attempts to connect to a mobile or landline in UK.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk