Recommendation On Japanese Food

Topic locked
Recommendation on Japanese Food Dec 27, 2007
Where you ate recently.

Anyone?

C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
Bentoya in Shk Zayed road is the best, I love it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 27, 2007
Depends on whether you want Sushi or Tepan though
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, thinking sushi, sahimi, sapporo..
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:Yeah, thinking sushi, sahimi, sapporo..

Well, you can get everything at Benihana :-)

And Saki :-)
^ian^

Dec 27, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

I heard that the japanese place at Burj Juman is very good...no sake though...and a pain in the rear end to get to for dinner...
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
seen it full all the time.. never had the guts to try it out .. coz i'd tasted some korean food sometime back.. the smell is just not something of my liking.. Does Japanese food (sushi etc) smell the same way? kinda seaweed/rotten veggies smell
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 27, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

I heard that the japanese place at Burj Juman is very good...no sake though...and a pain in the rear end to get to for dinner...

Unlike Chinese food (where Dubai is really thin), there are a lot of quality Japanese eats around, from cheap but good Sushi, to fine Teppanyaki.

Some places that spring to mind:

Bentoya
Tokyo on the Rocks
Sushi Cafe at Fairmont
Benihana

I'm not a big fan of Yo Sushi or Sumo though.

Sushi Sushi at Century Village have an all you can eat deal but be careful. It is advertised at 129 dirhams, but then it's + +

so 129 + 10% service + 10% Municipality and it equals 156 dirhams... which is not really that good at all.
^ian^

Dec 27, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:seen it full all the time.. never had the guts to try it out .. coz i'd tasted some korean food sometime back.. the smell is just not something of my liking.. Does Japanese food (sushi etc) smell the same way? kinda seaweed/rotten veggies smell

Yes rotten Japanese food.

No there is no smell to it - if there is don't eat it.

My Korean food experience was seeing pieces of meat and stuff circuling in a big bowl of boiling water in the middle of the table. I forget the name to that sort of "eating"...kinda of wacky..
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:seen it full all the time.. never had the guts to try it out .. coz i'd tasted some korean food sometime back.. the smell is just not something of my liking.. Does Japanese food (sushi etc) smell the same way? kinda seaweed/rotten veggies smell

Depends on a lot of things how it smells. Generally, if it's good clean sushi it's a nice clean, slightly sweet smell, with a hint of seafood.
^ian^

Dec 27, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:

My Korean food experience was seeing pieces of meat and stuff circuling in a big bowl of boiling water in the middle of the table. I forget the name to that sort of "eating"...kinda of wacky..

Shabu Shabu? It's actually more Japanese than Korean.

Korean BBQ also rocks... love that.
^ian^

Dec 27, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:

That must b the Korean Curry :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 27, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
C0NC0RD wrote:

Could be Could Be.
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
C0NC0RD wrote:

Could be Could Be.

I first saw it on Jamie Oliver believe it or not.

It's quite good if done right... done wrong and it can be horrid.

Edit: Like most things I guess.
^ian^

Dec 27, 2007

Korean likes to dunk their cooked beef into raw egg (like a dip). They eat raw beef as well - but thinly sliced. Again dunk into the raw egg dip. There is also Korean sushi.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
Whilst we are on the korean topic, anyone tried a good korean restaurant here? I have only tried the Radisson by the Creek.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Whilst we are on the korean topic, anyone tried a good korean restaurant here? I have only tried the Radisson by the Creek.

No. I am afraid, they eat dog :shock:
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
The reason was because in super cold weather, dog meat keeps you warm. Dog is "heaty" so it helps eating it in cold weather. - So I was told.

You see more dog stalls in north vietnam (eg Hanoi) than the south (saigon). I supposed it has to do with the weather temperature. When asked why they eat dog, the answer i got was "it tastes good !!!"

I love dog.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:The reason was because in super cold weather, dog meat keeps you warm. Dog is "heaty" so it helps eating it in cold weather. - So I was told.

You see more dog stalls in north vietnam (eg Hanoi) than the south (saigon). I supposed it has to do with the weather temperature. When asked why they eat dog, the answer i got was "it tastes good !!!"

I love dog.

I don't think Eskimos eat Dog! And it might be a bit chillier up there than in Vietnam...
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
Maybe its an asian thing.

I love dog.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Maybe its an asian thing.

I love dog.

Eskimos are Asian. They walked over the Bering strait when it was frozen and walked all the way to Argentina - it took a while. I know this because Sage told me: he was there.
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
Try Shogun in Al Ghurair City. Frequented by Japanese folks- so it must be a real deal. :)
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
pinoy1 wrote:Try Shogun in Al Ghurair City. Frequented by Japanese folks- so it must be a real deal. :)

Sounds interesting. Right, who want to Shogun ?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
I love Japanese food and have tried a few places around here. To be honest, I am a bit underwhelmed by it. Maybe I haven't been trying the right places.

Don't recommend Yo sushi, once i went and found a piece of rotton fish on display...

Wagamama is pretty good. Not authentic Japanese, but great for a filling meal, especially great for Sake :lol:

There is a Japanese place on the marina, the name which escapes me at the moment. The sushi and sashimi is pretty decent, but the tempura is awful. No drinkies either

Shabu shabu is the best, too bad its too hot to do it here... but done correctly (especially if you eat with Asians) then it is the best thing to warm you up. Even dogs can't compete :D
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 27, 2007
I wanna be a complete veggie.. but sometimes I just lose it and eat non-veg.. and if french can eat frog legs n rest of us eat crocs, snakes, bats , anything n everything.. whats wrong with Koreans, Pinoys n Vietnamese eatng dog ? I cant imagine myself eating a dog though..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 27, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:I love Japanese food and have tried a few places around here. To be honest, I am a bit underwhelmed by it. Maybe I haven't been trying the right places.

Havent been to a japanese restaurant here that I would go WOW yet either.

Don't recommend Yo sushi, once i went and found a piece of rotton fish on display...

Are you sure it is not "display only"

Wagamama is pretty good. Not authentic Japanese, but great for a filling meal, especially great for Sake :lol:

Only the one in Crowne Plaza. The one in Green cant serve alcohol.

There is a Japanese place on the marina, the name which escapes me at the moment. The sushi and sashimi is pretty decent, but the tempura is awful. No drinkies either

It's called ITSU. Didnt think they have a good selection and pricey.

Shabu shabu is the best, too bad its too hot to do it here... but done correctly (especially if you eat with Asians) then it is the best thing to warm you up. Even dogs can't compete :D

Where to Shabu Shabu here??

Actually the one in Crowne Plaza (1st flr is ok) & Tokyo at Emirates (but pricey)
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
Sorry guys still learning how to use multiple quotes :oops:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:I wanna be a complete veggie.. but sometimes I just lose it and eat non-veg.. and if french can eat frog legs n rest of us eat crocs, snakes, bats , anything n everything.. whats wrong with Koreans, Pinoys n Vietnamese eatng dog ? I cant imagine myself eating a dog though..

Although you have a point, the argument is if it is a pet (and by large extend dog is domesticated, loyal, most family has one as pet and cute) then you dont eat it.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
Don't worry, I can't even quote... complete technophobe :oops:

The sushi in question is on the revolving sushi belt along with all the other pieces so pretty sure it wasn't display only...

The Wagamama in Oasis hotel serves alcohol as well

There is a place in Crown plaza to shabu shabu?! Please tell me the name, I've been craving it since I left NZ. I've been trying to make it myself, but lack the ingredients for a truly excellent one...

Lucifer: There is nothing wrong with eating a dog or croc or bat or whatever as such. I think the issue here for me is the dog is seen as a pet or cute and its not nice to eat something cute (ok, pretty bad argument). There could be worse things to eat
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 27, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:
pinoy1 wrote:Try Shogun in Al Ghurair City. Frequented by Japanese folks- so it must be a real deal. :)

Sounds interesting. Right, who want to Shogun ?

I think I would rather commit sepeku than face the traffic.
^ian^

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat