Fresh Grad Package-NEED ADVICE!!!!

Topic locked
Fresh grad package-NEED ADVICE!!!! Dec 01, 2007
I'm a 24 yo fresh graduate female single Malaysian.

I've been hired to work for a bank in Sharjah and will be coming here as an expat on the 5th January 2008.

Before this offer came along I worked in software company in Malaysia, with a much lower salary, for 3 months. Other than this, I have no working experience whatsoever.

The company in Sharjah has offered me a total salary of AED12,150.00 which includes housing allowance,living allowance,transportation allowance and W & E allowance.

Annual leave is 25 days/annum and they will pay for airfare (as well as hubby,if I had one) once a year to my point of origin.

Other perks include gratuity,life and medical insurance,and yearly bonus. Is this enough for me to get by in Sharjah??

Also can someone please help give me the break up expenditures for me?

1. Cost of rental. I'd like to find a small studio or a 1bedroom apartment,fully/semi furnished if possible in Sharjah.

2. Food.I don't really eat a lot and I can cook simple meals but I'd like to go out at least once a week to have meals outside with friends.

3. Bills. (Wireless internet,W & E,Cable,etc).

4. Transportation. I'd like to go to Dubai at least once a week or so to chill out with friends. And since I'll be working and staying in Sharjah would it be better for me to buy a car or take the public transportation?Would it be safe for me to take a cab at night from Sharjah-Dubai-Sharjah?I'm concerned about this because in Malaysia it is highly inadvisable for single/married women to go in a cab at night.

5. Entertainment. I'm a social smoker and drinker but can live without either of them with the exception or maybe 2 3 times a month.

6. Savings. Single most important question- Can I SAVE any money on this kind of salary and lifestyle???I'm planning to set aside AED1,000.00/pm.Is this possible???

HELP!!!!

nuyu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 01, 2007
you don't say whether the amount 12,150 is per month or per annum.

did they give you a break down of the package as it may be easier to put it into context.

at first glance if it is 12,150 per month and your'e staying in sharjah, yes you could get by quiet comfortably on this - and a simple lifestyle
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 01, 2007
Annual leave is 25 days/annum and they will pay for airfare (as well as hubby,if I had one) once a year to my point of origin.

standard perk, although leave by law is calculated at 2 days per month for the first year of employment (24 days) and 30 days per calender year thereafter (not the 25 they are offering).

Other perks include gratuity

subject to conditions of full contract completion (5 years), and is a standard provision under the labour law to all employees.

life and medical insurance

sounds good, ask them to specify the policy and what it covers, all expats have to have a governement hospital card, this is sometimes shown by employers as a "perk", but is a legal requirement and covers basic medical. the insurance... well i can't comment, the need to be specific about he policy and what is covers to make a call on it.

and yearly bonus.

bonuses can be quiet a thorney issue as they have to be specified in the labour contract to make them legally applicable, on what basis would you be eligble for the bonus, when would it be paid, how much would the bonus be, who would evaluate your performance to determine the bonus...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 01, 2007
Sharjah is just now getting ready to start public buses. Expect it to suck. Taxis are expensive and refuse to go to traffic areas, so they probably won'r go to Dubai. Buy a car.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 01, 2007
Let me put it bluntly. Sharjah is a hell hole.

If you plan on coming here, going to work, then going home and repeating the rut each and everyday then you will be able to save some money.

If you are coming to sharjah for social life and party scene: forget it.
If you are coming to sharjah for bar scene: forge it.
If you are coming to sharjah for cultural diversity: forget it.
If you are coming to sharjah for religious diversity: forget it.

If you are coming to sharjah because you can't get a job anywhere else and need the experience: welcome.

You are young so some sacrify will do you good!

Just know that Dubai is much better but on a salary of 12,500 aed/month you will need to have a few roomatest to afford to live in a nice place and you definetely need a budget of 2000 to 2500 per month for transportantion.

In any event, good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 02, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:you don't say whether the amount 12,150 is per month or per annum.

did they give you a break down of the package as it may be easier to put it into context.

at first glance if it is 12,150 per month and your'e staying in sharjah, yes you could get by quiet comfortably on this - and a simple lifestyle

Soul,

The 12,150 is per month.

The break down on the package is like this:

Basic Salary - AED 5,900
Housing Allowance - AED 3,000
Cost of Living - AED 2,000
Transport Allowance - AED 750
W & E - AED 500

Do u think it's possible to save at least AED 1,000 on this?
nuyu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 02, 2007
gtmash wrote:Sharjah is just now getting ready to start public buses. Expect it to suck. Taxis are expensive and refuse to go to traffic areas, so they probably won'r go to Dubai. Buy a car.

Thanx gtmash for this tip :D

What is the procedure to buying a car in the UAE? Do I need to put a downpayment?

Do u suggest brand new or second hand? 'My contract in Sharjah is for 2 years but I'm planning to stay longer.

Any recommendations on the make? :D

Thanx in advance...
nuyu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 02, 2007
Concord wrote:
If you are coming to sharjah for social life and party scene: forget it.
If you are coming to sharjah for bar scene: forge it.
If you are coming to sharjah for cultural diversity: forget it.
If you are coming to sharjah for religious diversity: forget it.

I definitely didnt choose Sharjah for any of these reasons. I'll go to Dubai for that. :wink:

If you are coming to sharjah because you can't get a job anywhere else and need the experience: welcome.

Well, as I mentioned in my previous message I only have 3 months working experience and a Malaysian fresh graduate would usually only get paid MYR1,500-2,500 (approx. USD 430 - USD 714 /month)

You are young so some sacrify will do you good!

What kind of sacrifices exactly are we talking about here? :)

Just know that Dubai is much better but on a salary of 12,500 aed/month you will need to have a few roomatest to afford to live in a nice place

Are you saying that I could actually survive in Dubai with this kind of salary (provided I share accomodation of course)??? 8)

In any event, good luck.
nuyu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 08, 2007
nuyu wrote:
dbxsoul wrote:you don't say whether the amount 12,150 is per month or per annum.

Soul,

The 12,150 is per month.

The break down on the package is like this:

Basic Salary - AED 5,900
Housing Allowance - AED 3,000
Cost of Living - AED 2,000
Transport Allowance - AED 750
W & E - AED 500

Do u think it's possible to save at least AED 1,000 on this?

in sharjah, yes. w & e??
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 08, 2007
nuyu wrote:
gtmash wrote:Sharjah is just now getting ready to start public buses. Expect it to suck. Taxis are expensive and refuse to go to traffic areas, so they probably won'r go to Dubai. Buy a car.

Thanx gtmash for this tip :D

What is the procedure to buying a car in the UAE? Do I need to put a downpayment?

Do u suggest brand new or second hand? 'My contract in Sharjah is for 2 years but I'm planning to stay longer.

Any recommendations on the make? :D

Thanx in advance...

Up to you, if you want to lease a new car or buy a used one. I started off with a cheap used car. Saved me a ton of money in the long run.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum