What's With The Flies!!!

Topic locked
What's with the flies!!! Nov 24, 2007
Man, oh man,

Over the past few days I've tried to eat outdoors at various restaurants in Dubai but at each location the number of flies has been incredible (and had to move inside to eat). Citronella cancels, incense etc. at the tables has not helped.

I can't remember these many flies last seadon.

What's going on?

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 24, 2007
I have noticed lots of flies too, but really no more than last year.

The worst was when I lived in Al Barsha and there was one of those big bins across the road. In the middle of summer it used to cook in the heat and was like... Dubai's biggest fly magnet.

That was bad.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 24, 2007
Yeah,

This was all over: At a restaurant at the Marina, then at the royal mirage, then at the cellar (irish village), etc.

Not a fun thing...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 24, 2007
with sand u get scorpions, with trees flies. simple as that.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 24, 2007
Never eat outside before sunset, follow that rule and you can't go wrong.

So far after years of searching I am yet to find much that will get rid of flies in the day.

One thing that can reduce is to put out half filled jars with holes in the lids of sugar disolved in vinegar.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 24, 2007
flies are yummy side dishes to your food concord.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 25, 2007
Generally you find them when you are sitting down eating so perhaps they are hovering around the food. I dont recall seeing them when you sit on the verandah with NO food. Unlike in the outback Australia, they are everywhere most of the time.

Flies are nasty. They bring all sort of bacteria around. You never know where they just landed prior to landing on your food !!

So concord, how many flies have you consumed so far?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 25, 2007
One man's bacteria is another man's protein.

Smoke while eating, if you have a couple of shisha's going the whole time you smoke the flies usually stay at bay just exhale towards the food, if you're not a smoker coffee grinds on burning tea lights do the trick as well.

I wrote up about flies last year as well, there are way more here than I'm use to.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 25, 2007
fayz wrote:One man's bacteria is another man's protein.

Smoke while eating, if you have a couple of shisha's going the whole time you smoke the flies usually stay at bay just exhale towards the food, if you're not a smoker coffee grinds on burning tea lights do the trick as well.

I wrote up about flies last year as well, there are way more here than I'm use to.

Is this turning into a pro-shisha thread? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 25, 2007
fayz wrote:One man's bacteria is another man's protein.

Nah, that wont work. I swear I saw a few of the flies smoking shisha themselves :shock:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 25, 2007
What normal person in the decent minds would go out for dinner in the humid hot weather.

Take a shower guys...instead of walking around all sweaty everwhere u go...and maybe ull notice that its only the flies following u lol~!
guest999

Nov 25, 2007
YEPP no flies at all around me the last couple of weeks only the tables next to me..... 8)
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 26, 2007
i was once having lunch outside and noticed alot of flies, you cant get rid of them but you can divert them. Take a small piece of food which they are attracted to most and put it seperate. You enjoy ur lunch and they enjoy theirs. End of the conflict
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 26, 2007
Every morning lately when i hop in the car - a few flies get in too. Are they hitching a ride to the other end of town to avoid the commute? I agree it is very annoying and they seem to be multiplying.. But they are not big flies like in Australia
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 26, 2007
bsorc wrote:i was once having lunch outside and noticed alot of flies, you cant get rid of them but you can divert them. Take a small piece of food which they are attracted to most and put it seperate. You enjoy ur lunch and they enjoy theirs. End of the conflict

And who wants to have a meal while watching flies swarm on food at your table (even if "separate")!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 28, 2007
Is it better to see them land on the lunch you are eating. Imagine where its legs have been (sh...huh huh)
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 04, 2007
i hate flies,
the retards are really quick n experienced .
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 04, 2007
Why wont the authorities ban them from car lifts, i commuted a fly from sharjah to Al Garhoud dubai and for free. I shall report this.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat