How To Unblock Facebook If Blocked By Administrator? Help

Topic locked
How to unblock Facebook if blocked by administrator? Help Sep 26, 2007
:evil: Please help us out!!! Facebook has been blocked by our evil administrator...we don't deserve this as we work very hard as well...any suggestions please....... :cry:

dubaidiva
Dubai Forums Member

Re: How to unblock Facebook if blocked by administrator? Hel Sep 26, 2007
dubaidiva wrote::evil: Please help us out!!! Facebook has been blocked by our evil administrator...we don't deserve this as we work very hard as well...any suggestions please....... :cry:

Suggest you do some work :roll: and Facebook at home.

Edit: What I mean is, to go around the administrator would no doubt be a sackable offence. Is Facebook worth more than your job security? I think not.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 26, 2007
Install a proxy server on your home PC (Proxyplus for Windows or Squid for Linux), assign it a dynamic dns (dyndns.org) and configure your browser to use your home PC as a proxy with the appropriate port.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2007
Ian..that was a shyt answer..u must be kidding..I do my work perfectly well but hv a lot of free time as well..which is good..at home I don't want to sit behind my pc again..I have plenty better things to do

Med... I have no idea how to do that..but is it actually achievable? Then I'll go through the necessary steps.. :o
dubaidiva
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 26, 2007
It is achievable yes. Download proxyplus at home, install it, run it on port 443 (your admin won't be blocking that outgoing port).

Then register on dyndns.org, this will give you a url that points to your home PC, you can even get your router to sync with it. Speaking of routers, don't forget to portforward port 443 to the PC hosting the proxy server.

It might sound a bit complicated if you've never done it before but shouldn't take more than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2007
wow..that sounds cool if it works.. Just to let our B..ch administrator get shocked with my it knowledge would be satisfaction enough...lol..thanks..i'll try it.. :wink:
dubaidiva
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 26, 2007
dubaidiva wrote:wow..that sounds cool if it works.. Just to let our B..ch administrator get shocked with my it knowledge would be satisfaction enough...lol..thanks..i'll try it.. :wink:

If she is that bad would it be worth your job to shock her?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 26, 2007
You sysadmin would no doubt be thrilled to report you to the powers that be for breaching IT security.

Things are blocked for a reason, and going out of your way to get around a block is a far bigger crime than looking at the website.

Shyte answer or not, think before you leap.
^ian^

Re: How to unblock Facebook if blocked by administrator? Hel Sep 26, 2007
dubaidiva wrote::evil: Please help us out!!! Facebook has been blocked by our evil administrator...we don't deserve this as we work very hard as well...any suggestions please....... :cry:

Create your own proxy server or PHP Proxy

cheers!!!
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2007
I'm not gonna lose my job over unblocking a site..that would be crazy.. and all over the 7 days newspaper..lol..

I'm just a bit of a rebel and guess that's the way I like to be.. Normally Facebook is not blocked..just sometimes when she's in a bad mood I think..
dubaidiva
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 26, 2007
dubaidiva wrote:I'm not gonna lose my job over unblocking a site..that would be crazy.. and all over the 7 days newspaper..lol..

I'm just a bit of a rebel and guess that's the way I like to be.. Normally Facebook is not blocked..just sometimes when she's in a bad mood I think..

Can you tell me what is the relationship between 7 Days & Facebook?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 26, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:It is achievable yes. Download proxyplus at home, install it, run it on port 443 (your admin won't be blocking that outgoing port).

Then register on dyndns.org, this will give you a url that points to your home PC, you can even get your router to sync with it. Speaking of routers, don't forget to portforward port 443 to the PC hosting the proxy server.

It might sound a bit complicated if you've never done it before but shouldn't take more than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

You actually seen that work? (what louzy IT Administrators would allow a crappy ssl tunneling trick like that to work)

But its worth a try....

But they will still catch u :wink: You dont want trouble do you? Every website you surf is logged and bandwidth monitored....you might get away with it for a while....but theyll get back at you...maybe with a warning letter???
guest999

Sep 26, 2007
^ian^ wrote:You sysadmin would no doubt be thrilled to report you to the powers that be for breaching IT security.

Things are blocked for a reason, and going out of your way to get around a block is a far bigger crime than looking at the website.

Shyte answer or not, think before you leap.

I totally agree with you IAN.....

These policies are in place for a reason. Its not like the company is just trying to make your like any more difficult than it already is.

A full report of all employers in our office is submitted to the directing manager every month on

-what they do
-how much time they spend surfing
-what they surf
-how much internet bandwidth they consume

And truuuuust me.....Managing director didnt really have a smile on his face when he heard all this....it DOES affect your image in a company. And the proof is there to prove it.
guest999

Sep 26, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:You actually seen that work? (what louzy IT Administrators would allow a crappy ssl tunneling trick like that to work)

Given that "administrators" usually have no more than an MCSA/E or CCNA certification (which ranks somewhere between tying your shoe laces and not choking to death on your drool in the universal spectrum of skills), I would say: any.

Not_Sure wrote:But they will still catch u :wink:

They might, provided they have a telekinetic link to her brain stem, but hey, you never know.

Not_Sure wrote:You dont want trouble do you? Every website you surf is logged and bandwidth monitored

If she's going through her proxy then all they will see is an https connection made to some IP on port 443, I don't see how that's illegal.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2007
Here's a good tip for unblocking the blocks:

Be nice to the sysadmin, buy him/her a lunch or two, bring him/her some tea, sometimes he/she will open it to you without you getting into trouble or technical stuffs.

I'm not trying to be funny... sometimes it works ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 27, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:
Not_Sure wrote:But they will still catch u :wink:

They might, provided they have a telekinetic link to her brain stem, but hey, you never know.

Or they might use their eyeballs, or perhaps even do a visual inspection of a machine if they suspect something.

Sometimes, it's not always about logging or reports.
^ian^

Sep 27, 2007
Med.. I couldn't do it...did what u said but yesterday night when I tried to do the port 443 thing on my pc...I guess I didn't know what I was doing..kept going back to port 80. And do I put that where it says LAN settings? What abt the address in front of it?
dubaidiva
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 27, 2007
dubaidiva wrote:Med.. I couldn't do it...did what u said but yesterday night when I tried to do the port 443 thing on my pc...I guess I didn't know what I was doing..kept going back to port 80. And do I put that where it says LAN settings? What abt the address in front of it?

I suggest you get a friend who knows a bit about networking to do it for you, that would be the quickest way to go. I can't really help you from here without knowing your setup at home (ISP, router model, firewall settings, etc..). But once you install proxyplus you have to navigate to the config interface on your (I think it's http://localhost:4480 but I'm not sure of the port) and make the adjustments.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 27, 2007
dubaidiva wrote:I'm not gonna lose my job over unblocking a site..that would be crazy.. and all over the 7 days newspaper..lol.. ..

Firstly I can tell you that I know one person, a good friend of mine who got sacked for bypassing the block on MSN. He and I work for a company with 96 offices in 70 countries around the world and thousands of employess, trust me people know what you are doing.

Secondly out of curiousity if they did can you what would your letter to 7 days exactly say? my mean boss refuses to pay me salary for socializing? :roll: :roll:

I think the rest has already been said, if you have the motivation there are ways around it, good luck in whatever you decide.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 27, 2007
fayz wrote:
dubaidiva wrote:I'm not gonna lose my job over unblocking a site..that would be crazy.. and all over the 7 days newspaper..lol.. ..

Firstly I can tell you that I know one person, a good friend of mine who got sacked for bypassing the block on MSN. He and I work for a company with 96 offices in 70 countries around the world and thousands of employess, trust me people know what you are doing.

Secondly out of curiousity if they did can you what would your letter to 7 days exactly say? my mean boss refuses to pay me salary for socializing? :roll: :roll:

I think the rest has already been said, if you have the motivation there are ways around it, good luck in whatever you decide.

Yeah this is interesting, I would also like to know what the letter to 7 Days said. I mean here we are September and we still cannot receive 7 Days in Emaar Community, 7 Days must have some real power around town?????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 27, 2007
Why people are addicted to facebook? Thinking ways and means to unblocked whatever it is that has been blocked is for me a sign of addiction.

I think facebook is just one of the many dating sites, unless i am wrong.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 28, 2007
You can try a VPN service. I use http://witopia.net , but there are others too that might work. a vpn encrypts all your data so they can't see what you're doing. but..like other posters are saying, maybe you should wait until you're home. :)
socialclimber
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk