Please Offer Me Guidance As Getting Confused!!

Topic locked
Please offer me guidance as getting confused!! Sep 26, 2007
Hi all, have been offered the following package as a surveyor..

AED 300k all in broken as follows:

196,200 - basic salary (16,350 / month)

84,000 - Accommodation (7,000 / month)

15,600 - Car allowance (1,300 / month)

4,200 - flight allowance (350 / month)

I have been advised by the company that I should look at accommodation near to the Marina such as Greens, Springs, Lakes. (Is international city close enough? There seems to be some cheaper stuff there?

Iwould be looking for either a studio or 1 bed to rent so first question - is this viable?

The car allowance seems a bit low, would look to lease a car for say the first year, would this be sensible and what will I get for the allowance? (if anything!)

My plan is to save circa £1000 (AED7400) a month, play golf, live well etc.

I would be very grateful of your comments.

many thanks

Mark

Mark Harris
Dubai Forum User

Sep 26, 2007
mate

your accom allowance in marina area is way off mark, a nice one bed will set you back around 110k pa.

your car allowance wont even rent you the smallest nissan (like a micra) let alone buy one

take into account your utilities and tax to Dewa and food, golf etc you wont be saving a penny mate.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 26, 2007
arniegang wrote:mate

your accom allowance in marina area is way off mark, a nice one bed will set you back around 110k pa.

your car allowance wont even rent you the smallest nissan (like a micra) let alone buy one

take into account your utilities and tax to Dewa and food, golf etc you wont be saving a penny mate.

Thanks for the reply.

What about places like this though?? http://www.icliving.com/viewlisting.php?view=144

Are these real shit holes or something?
Mark Harris
Dubai Forum User

Sep 26, 2007
mark

just ask yourself why a one bed in the marina can demand the price for rental way over developments like int city.

therein lies your answer
arniegang

Sep 26, 2007
arniegang wrote:mark

just ask yourself why a one bed in the marina can demand the price for rental way over developments like int city.

therein lies your answer

I'm not saying actually 'in' the marina, just within reasonable distance.

I'm not aspiring to livie in a palace or anything, just clean and not the pre mentioned shit hole!!

does anyone have experience of living in these less expensive areas?!

I feel a bit glum and put off moving there now!! m:(
Mark Harris
Dubai Forum User

Sep 26, 2007
International City 1-bd costs 50k a year. 15 minutes from media city and dubai airport too. No pool or gym though. And its not a shit hole except for the China sector (the oldest one).
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Please offer me guidance as getting confused!! Sep 26, 2007
Mark Harris wrote:Hi all, have been offered the following package as a surveyor..

Would depend on experience & quals but appreas low

Not in Marina Area, you may find an apt. in Al Barsha (not so far away)

Saw a deal in Gulf News yesterday Dhs.29.00 per day on a monthly basis, but it must be smallllllllll

Once per year then your OK

I have been advised by the company that I should look at accommodation near to the Marina such as Greens, Springs, Lakes. (Is international city close enough? There seems to be some cheaper stuff there?

Iwould be looking for either a studio or 1 bed to rent so first question - is this viable?

The car allowance seems a bit low, would look to lease a car for say the first year, would this be sensible and what will I get for the allowance? (if anything!)

My plan is to save circa £1000 (AED7400) a month, play golf, live well etc.
Cut out the Golf and living well you may just make it

I would be very grateful of your comments.

many thanks

Mark
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 26, 2007
You can find 1 bedrooms in JBR for circa 90k now (and falling).

Or so a little bird told me.

Was speaking to someone who got 3 bedroom in JBR Sea View for 130k. So bargains are starting to appear.

I wonder why? :wink:
^ian^

Sep 26, 2007
yep 1 bedroom at jbr is now 95K one of our new employees just got a unit there
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2007
Mark,

I am an M&E QS who has just recently moved to Dubai. I have sent you a PM, however I forgot to mention that International City is quite far away from where you will most likely be based. It is a 30-40 minute drive from the Marina in rush hour.

If you have any more queries then please let me know.

Nick
nick_25
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 26, 2007
I’d like to make another point as well, which a lot of people seem to overlook when evaluating an offer.

Say for example you were to find accommodation that is just within the budget you've allowed (84,000) - and you manage to put away a little every month - great.

One year down the line and the rent goes up by 10% (maybe more - just have a look at the history of rental increases in Dubai). You either then have to re-evaluate your accommodation and down-size, or absorb the increase of 7,000 per month from your salary or savings!

Don’t bank on annual increases in salary (as is sometimes the norm in "western" country's); the UAE is largely a contract based country, the employer is well within his right to leave you on the same salary for the duration of the contract! factor this into your calculations and then evaluate it.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 26, 2007
I ran a little exercise based on the numbers you provided

Year 1 rental: 84,000 (rental as a % of your package = 28%)
Year 2 rental: 92,400 (rental as a % of your package = 30.8%)
Year 3 rental: 101,640 (rental as a % of your package = 33.8%)

Assuming no increase in basic package
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 26, 2007
^ian^ wrote:You can find 1 bedrooms in JBR for circa 90k now (and falling).

Or so a little bird told me.

Was speaking to someone who got 3 bedroom in JBR Sea View for 130k. So bargains are starting to appear.

I wonder why? :wink:

totally agree, some of us have predicted the drop as more supply comes on stream, the balance of supply/demand is starting to shift.

on a personal note, i was over JBR last week, the finish inside is crap.
and the views from the rear/marina side apppts ........... orrr errr less said.
arniegang

Sep 26, 2007
arniegang wrote:on a personal note, i was over JBR last week, the finish inside is crap.

Im sorry but I dont agree at all. I went to see a ton of apartments and I just moved into JBR last week because they were the best I had seen when considering finishes and especially size. I think you have to be careful because the different blocks do vary in finish, mine seems perfect, not one complaint! Im in construction too so I should know.

Everyone is right about the falling prices at JBR but the 95k ones tend to have a terrible view (overlooking noisey construction sites) and are a little on the small side.
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Please offer me guidance as getting confused!! Sep 26, 2007
Mark Harris wrote:Hi all, have been offered the following package as a surveyor..

As I told you before Mark, for someone your age/experience (identical to me) this is a good package. You'd live a good life here as well as saving and if you were willing to live with another guy in a 2 bed you could get a massive place in the marina with sea views! There are always people looking to share. Plus you'd save a hell of a lot on buying furniture if you share a place.
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007
Craigo wrote:
arniegang wrote:on a personal note, i was over JBR last week, the finish inside is crap.

Im sorry but I dont agree at all. I went to see a ton of apartments and I just moved into JBR last week because they were the best I had seen when considering finishes and especially size. I think you have to be careful because the different blocks do vary in finish, mine seems perfect, not one complaint! Im in construction too so I should know.

Everyone is right about the falling prices at JBR but the 95k ones tend to have a terrible view (overlooking noisey construction sites) and are a little on the small side.

Its a matter of opinion really. for example JBR units were not fitted with any kitchen appliances at completion. I have seen a large 2 bed appt, and the space they left for a dishwasher in the corner was so tight, you have to remove the opposite cupboard door so the DW door can open.

The pools are based around a central courtyard so the majority of the day they are in the shade and there are no gyms etc.

The maintenace charges are going to be horrendous a/ because all of "lego land" is painted, and that will have to be redone every 4/5 years, and the beach clubs will have to be paid for.

Lastly the developers forgot about one small problem when putting in "the walk" consisting of over 200 shops at GF level. There is no where to park any cars, anywhere :shock:

At the end of the day, you pays your money and you take your choice.
arniegang

Sep 26, 2007
Mark,

Assuming you're single and not bringing family over? If so, then your package is perfectly adequate and (depending on your lifestyle) should allow you to save a bit.

It's true that the accom/car allowances won't cover what they're supposed to, but think of it in terms of the overall package. You can get a one-bed in the Greens for around 100K; that leaves you with about 200K, or 16K per month, for all your expenses after accommodation. Factor in 2K/month for a car and 1K for DEWA, you've still got 13K/month which is plenty for a single person to live on. Bear in mind that there are a lot of up-front expenses, though (deposits, furniture, white goods etc) so you'll feel pretty broke for the first couple of months.

Where will you be working? That might help people to advise on places to live - traffic is a really major factor.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007
arniegang wrote: I have seen a large 2 bed appt, and the space they left for a dishwasher in the corner was so tight, you have to remove the opposite cupboard door so the DW door can open.

The pools are based around a central courtyard so the majority of the day they are in the shade and there are no gyms etc.

Lastly the developers forgot about one small problem when putting in "the walk" consisting of over 200 shops at GF level. There is no where to park any cars, anywhere :shock:

True, there are arguments to and for most places and you have to take a risk.

As for the dishwasher, get a cleaner! Its cheaper! Lol

The pools are meant to be shaded, they design them to be shaded to a certain percentage throughout the day for comfort.

I think the developers intended 'the walk' for the residents, not for people driving to it, hence no parking spaces!
[/b]
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007
jayzed wrote:Mark,

Assuming you're single and not bringing family over? If so, then your package is perfectly adequate and (depending on your lifestyle) should allow you to save a bit.

It's true that the accom/car allowances won't cover what they're supposed to, but think of it in terms of the overall package. You can get a one-bed in the Greens for around 100K; that leaves you with about 200K, or 16K per month, for all your expenses after accommodation. Factor in 2K/month for a car and 1K for DEWA, you've still got 13K/month which is plenty for a single person to live on. Bear in mind that there are a lot of up-front expenses, though (deposits, furniture, white goods etc) so you'll feel pretty broke for the first couple of months.

Where will you be working? That might help people to advise on places to live - traffic is a really major factor.

I'll be working initiall in old dubai (deira) however the company is moving to the marina by xmas time. All advice greatly recieved
Mark Harris
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum