GITEX

Topic locked
GITEX Sep 13, 2007
Just wondering if any of you went along, saw any good deals, what you bought etc..

Went down there yesterday morning,
took ages in the traffic, couldn't get a parking space.
So I just thought sod it, went to Sharaf instead and bought a new Dell XPS laptop and Nokia 3600.

Was told the prices are identical if not a bit cheaper at Sharaf. Anyone can confirm this?

p.s. I got a free sandwhich maker at Sharaf, so I reckon GITEX can go #@$! itself!

burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Sep 13, 2007
Since when is GITEX shopper good for deals? The dealers usually reflect their stall/show prices at their stores too. And the stuff isn't really cheaper. It is the normal depreciated price of electronic goods. Go back to stores next week and the "Deals" will still be there (since gadget prices only go DOWN, never UP).
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
Don't but anything PC related from Sharraf or any big electronics store. You can find the same product for 200 or 300 less at the computer plaza in BurDubai. All you need are good negotiating skills ;)
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 13, 2007
heard gitex was a real bust this year...
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007
I love Gitex, love going to it but didn’t go this year as I’m in saving money mode and don’t want temptation.

Based on the comments though, I guess I didn’t miss too much.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 16, 2007
Going to the shoppers was a major blooper.. It took 2 hrs 40 mins to reach there from Bur Dubai. Wait of 15 mins to get parking and went in to see nothing. Didnt see any special discounts apart from those given bye the brands.. (not by the promoters/ shops) All companies selling HP had the same discount, same rates, same offers.This was the first time I went into shoppers. The arrangement of stands were bad. The appalling state of organizers were only more visible when I couldnt locate a single 'ask me where' person there. It was crowded with more exhibitors,sales people n their friends than potential buyers/visitors.

Gitex Technology summit, I thought this year's event wasnt as successful as last years'. I faced the same problem of more exhibitors there as well. Me thinks..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 16, 2007
First time went to Gitex Shopper at Airport Expo. It's just a hype as usual. Exaggerated. There are not many shops (as I compare to other exhibitions) and all sold almost the same products. The prices are the same or even higher than downtown shops.

I regret that I missed the better exhibition at Trade Center (the real Gitex, not Gitex Shopper). I thought it was only for seminars or something. :(
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 16, 2007
parking at the airport expo was a nightmare. where did all you folks park? up on the pavements??????
there were 2 free spots and the security guys who had barricaded all the entrances to the parking refused to open it. naturally all the suv drivers started jumping over the curb and 5 suvs tried to drive into 2 parking spots.
was fun though i never made it inside, lol
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 17, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:parking at the airport expo was a nightmare. where did all you folks park? up on the pavements??????
there were 2 free spots and the security guys who had barricaded all the entrances to the parking refused to open it. naturally all the suv drivers started jumping over the curb and 5 suvs tried to drive into 2 parking spots.
was fun though i never made it inside, lol

I visited on Friday around 3pm just when they open the gate, so that I'd get better chance of getting parking spot. There seemed not many parking spaces (yeah, Dubai's standard). Luckily the guy in the car in front of me opened without supervision the barricade of Parking A (the closest) and I happened to get one spot.

But that's it. It'd be the last time I visit. Next year I'd visit the trade center one.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 17, 2007
I went to the Shopper around 7 pm so we managed to get a parking in 15-20 mins.. it took 2:30 hrs to reach there though,.. XTY you didnt miss much at the Gitex Trade center one. There was no difference from last years. I thought some of the seminars were good, but stalls were pretty much the same.. But if u are interested in gathering info abt new technologies n software yep thats the place to be, but u need to go only once in 2-3 years.. coz apart from FMCEs , uae is very slow in terms of technology adaptation and understanding.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 17, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:XTY you didnt miss much at the Gitex Trade center one. There was no difference from last years. I thought some of the seminars were good, but stalls were pretty much the same.. But if u are interested in gathering info abt new technologies n software yep thats the place to be, but u need to go only once in 2-3 years.. coz apart from FMCEs , uae is very slow in terms of technology adaptation and understanding.

Actually I missed it last year due to my travels out of the country. And seeing what's happening with the new technologies/products (apart from reading T3/Stuff mags), that's what I actually wanted to see than so-called "Gitex price".
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 17, 2007
Do they really have such a thing as the "Gitex Price", I doubt it, just a lot of hype to get people to go along.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 17, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Do they really have such a thing as the "Gitex Price", I doubt it, just a lot of hype to get people to go along.

Yes they have it in almost every (electronics) stores in Dubai. But it doesn't mean Gitex price has to be lower than normal price, does it ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
xty wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Do they really have such a thing as the "Gitex Price", I doubt it, just a lot of hype to get people to go along.

Yes they have it in almost every (electronics) stores in Dubai. But it doesn't mean Gitex price has to be lower than normal price, does it ;)

That was my point exactly, so why go along and suffer with traffic, parking, crowds etc.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2007
sage & onion wrote:That was my point exactly, so why go along and suffer with traffic, parking, crowds etc.

For me, it was the first time and just for curiosity (besides, my friend asked me to take a look/buy something)... but that'll be the last time.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat