Strange Paint Job

Topic locked
Strange paint job Sep 11, 2007
can anyone tell me why i see a few cars about painted in a sort of light brown/sand coloured powder.

It is usually over the bonnet/hood and front wings, it is even sprayed over the headlights etc

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 11, 2007
i guess its a kind of a protection against dirt, sand, stones etc. for the paint job
May on a Wax basis
well Headlights doesnt make any sense, but does it make sense at all its just a car and its built to use :roll:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 11, 2007
I wondered that a while back, a higher percentage of Saudi cars seem to have it. I've been told that it keeps the engine cooler, never cared enough to research if that is actually true or not.

I'm sure one of the car guys on here will have the answer.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 12, 2007
I saw that crap too, even on new cars. I always thought it is a fake dirt look to make you look tougher. As if you like offroading with your Caprice or something. The crap looks like paint primer, and even put on headlights, sometimes even specs on the doors to give a "realistic" look. Retarded, isn't it?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
I park next to a car yesterday that had that cr*p all over it.................I thought the guy had just gone through a muddy puddle of concrete on a building site!! Lol. I touched it and it did feel very much like concrete!
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007
I think there is a practical point behind this mysterious sand colour paint on most Saudi plated cars (especially Jeeps)...

I think its some kind of anti- chipping protector...when they drive fast on the long barren desert roads towards the UAE, it protects the Glass of the Front Lights and the paint from small pebbles/stones!
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 13, 2007
V-Man wrote:I think there is a practical point behind this mysterious sand colour paint on most Saudi plated cars (especially Jeeps)...

I think its some kind of anti- chipping protector...when they drive fast on the long barren desert roads towards the UAE, it protects the Glass of the Front Lights and the paint from small pebbles/stones!

You mean it protects the paint by putting permanent mud-looking crap on it? :lol:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
it keeps the car cooler especially the intercooler and the engine. most of the cars travelling through the souring heats of saudi have it. Long drives where the temperatures goes real high.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 14, 2007
rudeboy wrote:it keeps the car cooler especially the intercooler and the engine. most of the cars travelling through the souring heats of saudi have it. Long drives where the temperatures goes real high.

Is that really what it's marketed as?

P.S. Intercoolers are part of some turbo engines only
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 16, 2007
On the road from Al Dhaid to Masafi there were many shops selling children's playsets *swings etc) These were also painted in the same sandy coloured paint. Would certainly blend in with the sand pit in the back yard.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 16, 2007
scarlet wrote:On the road from Al Dhaid to Masafi there were many shops selling children's playsets *swings etc) These were also painted in the same sandy coloured paint. Would certainly blend in with the sand pit in the back yard.

Hehe, that use of this mudpaint actually makes sense.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 24, 2007
ok when next in the malls and anyone see's a car with this powder stuff on can they politely ask and post the reply here please

The suspense is killing me

:lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 26, 2007
its a wax applied to the body to prevent minute stones n particles from hitting the body and creating a dent, while at high speed.

some cars also install sunroof covers to protect the sunroof shield.
and some even go for an extra cover for front windshield
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Mud Paint Sep 30, 2007
Believe it or not, the stuff is actually 'mud' paint and is applied, particularly in Saudi, Kuwait and Qatar to vehicles doing the road work to get here and to Oman. Shammal conditions will make mincemeat of a front end at 120/140 kph, as into a headwind, you could be talking about as much as 180kph on impact - try sticking your finger down a spark plug cleaner if you want to know what that feels like, and then imagine what it will do to the bodywork on your car!

I had a Land Rover in Saudi Arabia years ago, and left it for four hours on the beach whilst sailing on a good, windy sailing day - when we came back to it, the paint had been sandblasted off the leading edge of the bonnet and both front wings, the metal and windscreen were pitted and the headlamp lenses were opaque - and it was standing still!

The mud paint forms a layer of protection against this abrasiveness of windborne sand. Sometimes you will see a car greased on the leading edges for the same purpose. The 'bras' advertised and clipped over the bonnet do the same thing - but if you are not doing long distance-high speed work, you are better without them: on a day to day basis they trap sand and moisture from humidity and the car wash, and cause premature corrosion.
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto