33%
Slightly Disagree
17%
Totally Disagree
33%

Total votes : 6

The better side of Dubai Aug 28, 2007
Hi Guys,

I posted this is Khaleej Times today (28 August 2007), let me know what you think:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The better side of Dubai
28 August 2007

I READ Khaleej Times everyday and see complaints about Dubai or about the services here. I know some services are not of high quality, but the case is the same everywhere in the world. After all, a "perfect" city, or country, is only an illusion, isn’t it?

If someone doesn’t like Dubai, they are free to quit. Do such people stay back because they get paid extra? Or, if it’s good for them, well, they have to sacrifice something. We all should actually appreciate the services being provided in Dubai, most of which are excellent.

In fact, these complaints are there everywhere: at forums, newspapers, general discussions at work etc.

There are those who complain about Salik. It’s a new system and it takes time to be perfect.

Some complain Salik is a way for the country to make money. At least, you know, there are no taxes here. And, this is not a strange system. Most countries have toll systems.

Then, the complaints about taxis being late to arrive. We all know there is a serious traffic problem here. This is a city that has grown so fast, and it is understandable why we have such problems. They are in the process of being solved. Quickly.
There are complaints about Al Shamil Internet service taking a long time to be connected. Maybe, some five per cent of the applicants did not get it on time.
Or, the complaints about people driving crazy on Dubai roads. Everyone does that, including the ones who complain. Get used to it.

People should rather appreciate the services that are at hand. The government is working very hard in order to satisfy everyone.

At least, this country is a very safe place to live in. You can move around and sleep at night feeling fully secure. Let us look at the good sides, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 28, 2007
"LOL"
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2007
dude who wrote this?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2007
Bleakus wrote:dude who wrote this?

I did, sent an email to khaleej times 2 days ago, do you like it?
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 28, 2007
to be honest, the article is too forward. In my opinion, the points mentioned dont have enough evidence, you could be right but on what ground. Im talking about the article as a whole.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2007
The main point is that people should appreciate the good things about Dubai, we all know there are good and bad stuff in Dubai, and im not saying you cant complain, im only saying that people should look at the bright side.

This is not for the people that compain every once in a while, this is for people that compain everyday about everything... You should read the complaints in Khaleej Times everyday..I am sorry if anyone is offenced, im just stating my opinion, please dont get me wrong..

I know Dubai is not perfect, but then which city/country is??
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 28, 2007
^^its fine bro, i know what you mean

There are flaws, i must say, but you can look at the good things in dubai.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2007
IF no one complains, the bad things will not change. There are enough yes-men around here as it is.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2007
I don't get why people get so picky about someone complaining about Dubai.

I mean come on - are you telling me people don't moan about London, Paris or New York on a daily basis.

I assure you as someone who grew up in London, the daily chorus consists of 'dam traffic, dam traffic wardens, dam buses, dam trains, dam weather, to many people, dam tourists, to many English, too expensive, to much crime, etc etc'.

Go to new york and chat to taxi driver and you will get a big long list as well.

It's city life, man, get used it. The only place you won't find this is in a village, as theres not so much to complain about, apart from city folk and cities :lol:

There really seems to be this naive expectation where every should just waft around cooing at the perfect vision of Dubai - or piss off back where you came from.

Its like a child having a sulk cause someone said their shiny bike is not that good and could be better.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 28, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:...just waft around cooing at the perfect vision of Dubai - or piss off back where you came from.

You mean Vision™
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 29, 2007
We can improve by what people complain. And mind you, it is not yet a safe country to live in. The chasing of women in the streets is horrible.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2007
^^yeah slowly it is happening, not as bad as other countries but still. My friend's experienced that, that sucked.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2007
I am not saying Dubai is the perfect city, and im not saying dont compain, im just saying "NOT ALL THE TIME", not to the forum though, im saying in general,..

At work for example, i sometimes want to hear good news if you know what i mean, but all i hear all the time is complaints about Dubai and how everything sucks.. I thought of writing this to encourage people to look at the bright side.

The editor, however, made a few changes and now it seems like its telling people to piss off (not my opinion). The part where it says people are free to quit wasnt me, mine said poeple stay or move to Dubai for a reason, and you need to sacrifice one thing for another.
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 29, 2007
In my opinion Dubai is unique; peoples from all over the world living together in a place where the way things work, the culture, religion, governance, etc is strange to them, so unique problems and complaints are bound to happen.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat