Advice Please?

Topic locked
Advice Please? Jun 28, 2007
Me and my girlfriend (we are both 29) are thinking of moving to Dubai.

I work in construction (QS) and have been offered a role paying circa 34000 direms per month plus company car.

My girlfriend intends on getting an admin type job but we wont try sorting that if/until we arrive.

What kind of lifestyle would we have based on that sort of money? We intend on renting a 2 bed flat but have no idea on costs yet so any advice would help?

Blowfish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 28, 2007
mate, i think you'll be more than comfortable on that.

i think other posts have established that a young couple living a sociable existince in dubai would pay around 17/18,000Dhs / month on expenses including accommodation (based on 115,000Dhs apartment), costs therein and going out doing stuff at weekends, etc. although that excludes car costs, which aren't an issue for you guys anyway.

if you don't mind me asking, who are you thinking of working with in Dubai?

**i'm loving the 'me and my girlfriends (both 29)...' chat - two girlfriends ey???
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 28, 2007
Just realised what i wrote and i meant girlfriend rather than friends :D

Thanks for your advice.

How much should i expect a 2 bed apartment in somewhere like dubai festival city to set us back?

Firm is LaingO'Rourke!
Blowfish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Advice Please? Jun 28, 2007
Blowfish wrote:I work in construction (QS) and have been offered a role paying circa 34000 direms per month plus company car.

Sounds good to me. Unless you have extravagant tastes, you can live well on that and still save money. They not supplying accommodation? You can get a good 2 bdrm flat for 120k-140k per year. Maybe a bit less at DFC.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 28, 2007
Just be warned that if you and your girlfriend live together and the authorities find out... you will be executed.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 28, 2007
:lol: check with sage .... :lol:

i think they just stake them out on a football field on a friday and dump a truckload of stones on them

:lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 28, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Just be warned that if you and your girlfriend live together and the authorities find out... you will be executed.

dbxsoul wrote::lol: check with sage .... :lol:

i think they just stake them out on a football field on a friday and dump a truckload of stones on them

Oh my God I hope I can be forgiven. I replied to this thread earlier and totally failed to warn them of the mortal sin they are about to comit :oops:

p.s. I just realized that I replied to their other thread (about the dog). Wheew!!!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 28, 2007
Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Just be warned that if you and your girlfriend live together and the authorities find out... you will be executed.

dbxsoul wrote::lol: check with sage .... :lol:

Oh my God I hope I can be forgiven. I replied to this thread earlier and totally failed to warn them of the mortal sin they are about to comit :oops:

p.s. I just realized that I replied to their other thread (about the dog). Wheew!!!

Close call my K9 Friend. I don't know how you'd live with yourself otherwise.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 28, 2007
Your girlyfriend cannot come here on anything other than a visit visa if she does not a have a job here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 28, 2007
Easy to get round living with the girlfriend from what i have heard.
Blowfish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 28, 2007
you're right about 'getting around' the unmarried and living together issue. but as previous posts have discussed to death i'll summarise it for you by saying that whilst some people will rightfully advise you that unmarried couples living together is illegal, it is a widely flexed law and rarely enforced. but of course, if you act a banana then the slim chances of it being a problem will increase. but in truth, it's not really anything to worry about as you know.

however, that is a separate issue from from your girlfriend's visa. as you're not married you can't sponsor her (i believe that is the right term?), therefore she will be in dubai on a tourist/visit visa which can be renewed twice, not perpetually, at some point she'll have to leave the country and come back in again (commonly referred to as a 'visa run' to say, Oman for example to get a new stamp on her passport). although it is worth noting, as discussed in further depth elsewhere on this forum, there is talk of a change to the law so after a couple of renewals she'd have to leave the country for a month before being allowed to re-enter on a tourist/vist visa.

in truth, i'm not entirely up to speed on what's happening in that regard at the minute, but there is another post within the expat help section that addresses that issue in greater detail.
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum