What Is An Ideal Contract Here?

Topic locked
What is an ideal contract here? May 21, 2007
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Dubai, recently had an interview with a company and they've agreed to hire me. But the interviewer was also nice enough to tell me honestly that there is an issue with the company in the sense that they do not pay the salaries on time. But the job seemed exciting and the salary was good and I agreed to take it on. I am soon required to sign a contract with them.

What I need to know is what are the clauses I should look out for so that in case it turns out that the delay in paying salaries is getting out of hand and I need to quit it will be simple enough. Can companies here continue to not fulfill their obligations and still hold onto their employees or Ban them if they quit? This company is not in the freezone. What if I wanted to quit before a year because of late payments? And finally should I take up such an offer at all?

I'm pretty stressed out now. All suggestions are welcome...

helloall
Dubai Forum Guest

May 21, 2007
You shouldn't have taken that offer. Seriously.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 21, 2007
I totally agree... there is no excuse for delaying salary payments. This could only suggest that the company is not financially sound.
fafit
Dubai Forums Member

Re: What is an ideal contract here? May 21, 2007
helloall wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm new to Dubai, recently had an interview with a company and they've agreed to hire me. But the interviewer was also nice enough to tell me honestly that there is an issue with the company in the sense that they do not pay the salaries on time. But the job seemed exciting and the salary was good and I agreed to take it on. I am soon required to sign a contract with them.

What I need to know is what are the clauses I should look out for so that in case it turns out that the delay in paying salaries is getting out of hand and I need to quit it will be simple enough. Can companies here continue to not fulfill their obligations and still hold onto their employees or Ban them if they quit? This company is not in the freezone. What if I wanted to quit before a year because of late payments? And finally should I take up such an offer at all?

I'm pretty stressed out now. All suggestions are welcome...

don't take!
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

May 21, 2007
TAKE IT!!!!!!

it is a wonderful opportunity to learn about how things work in the UAE! :)

no seriously...how late is late?
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 21, 2007
Hello again,

Thanks for all your comments.

How late is late? I'm not sure... Will have to find out. I assumed it was abt 10-15 days. But dunno if its worse.
helloall
Dubai Forum Guest

May 21, 2007
helloall wrote:Hello again,
-- snip ---
How late is late? I'm not sure... Will have to find out. I assumed it was abt 10-15 days. But dunno if its worse.

Hi,

May I know whether you are a fresh graduate who has just step into the society ?
I suggest you sign the contract, and go for it.

I believe it will be a good learning experience for you.
No amount of writing or advise can prepare you for this experience.

Rgds.
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

May 23, 2007
if you look through the sticky section above, regarding the labour law/ contratc that i drafted a while ago, you will see that failure by the employer to pay the employee is considered "breach of contract" in the UAE/ Dubai labour law.

If this is the case and you take the matter up with the labour court, (difficult, but not as daunting as it sounds), your contract can be invalidated - basically side stepping the ban. the other point to bear in mind is the ban can actually be overturned if you are prepared to pay for it.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 23, 2007
just on another issue, just because a company doen't pay its salaries on time in the uae doesn't mean they are financially unsound. there are plenty of examples, of huge companies in the uae (talking about billions of dollars worth), not paying salaries on time, not because they have no money, but liquidity at certain times of the year (summer in particular) is a big issue, aslo some of the large companies are so big, they have huge beurocracies to overcome to ensure they make supplier and salary payments on time! even some of the banks pay thier staff late!

of course there is the converse. some companies are just stone broke and refuse to admit that they couldn't cut it!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 24, 2007
Hi dbxsoul,
Thank you very much for your input. This company is not too big so the only explanation has got to be that they're financially unsound.
At anyrate, the vote seems to be in favour of not taking the offer and thats what I have decided to do. Not one person I have spoken to from you guys on this community to friends and even a taxi driver suggested I run like mad and that is what I have done. :D
helloall
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum