Argument Needs Settling!

Topic locked
Argument needs settling! Feb 08, 2007
Over a few pints in the Irish Village, some friends and I were chatting about driving to the UAE from Saudi and Oman and other neighbours, how on earth are "Illegals" getting in other than going via the desert? My mate reckoned you can literally drive to Dubai via Oman on a road like any other (ie no checkpoints or passport control similar to driving through European Union countries) and I am SURE that there is a passport control as I remember reading about some new system on the Oman border etc,

So, there is 100dhs and a right slagging, who is right? Me, or them??

tismeself
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Argument needs settling! Feb 08, 2007
tismeself wrote:Over a few pints in the Irish Village, some friends and I were chatting about driving to the UAE from Saudi and Oman and other neighbours, how on earth are "Illegals" getting in other than going via the desert? My mate reckoned you can literally drive to Dubai via Oman on a road like any other (ie no checkpoints or passport control similar to driving through European Union countries) and I am SURE that there is a passport control as I remember reading about some new system on the Oman border etc,

There is a checkpoint, but I imagine you could go 'bush'.

Mind you, you'd have to watch our for the Gunship helicopters ready to fill your little 4WD full of hot 30 cal. lead... but yeah... it could be done.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^ian^ wrote:
tismeself wrote:Over a few pints in the Irish Village, some friends and I were chatting about driving to the UAE from Saudi and Oman and other neighbours, how on earth are "Illegals" getting in other than going via the desert? My mate reckoned you can literally drive to Dubai via Oman on a road like any other (ie no checkpoints or passport control similar to driving through European Union countries) and I am SURE that there is a passport control as I remember reading about some new system on the Oman border etc,

There is a checkpoint, but I imagine you could go 'bush'.

Mind you, you'd have to watch our for the Gunship helicopters ready to fill your little 4WD full of hot 30 cal. lead... but yeah... it could be done.

Agreed that could be done, however he was asking "getting in other than going via the desert"
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

tismeself wrote: I am SURE that there is a passport control as I remember reading about some new system on the Oman border etc, So, there is 100dhs and a right slagging, who is right? Me, or them??

Well you can claim the Dhs 100....There is a check point on the UAE border as well as a really big one on the Oman side as well..So apart from the desert if you are driving down the main road from Oman you have to pass these 2 check points for sure!!!!
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 08, 2007
if u were comming from iran you could use that big water mass area between us....
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

The border in Al Ain, going to Oman has no passport check, the ones going to musandum and the main highway to Muscat do but the one in Al Ain going to the Oman fort has a couple guards standing by the road but I watched at least 100 cars go through there, none were stopped.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

fayz wrote:

The border in Al Ain, going to Oman has no passport check, the ones going to musandum and the main highway to Muscat do but the one in Al Ain going to the Oman fort has a couple guards standing by the road but I watched at least 100 cars go through there, none were stopped.

Well their you have it, Dhs100 and a right slagging coming up :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 10, 2007
lol Fantastic!!! Thanks for the input, I will have a few pints for your guys on my pals money!!
tismeself
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 10, 2007
tismeself wrote:lol Fantastic!!! Thanks for the input, I will have a few pints for your guys on my pals money!!

Well I reckon after Fayz's input you are the loser, cough up :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 14, 2007
Doh, i didnt read the reply very carefully lol :oops:
tismeself
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Argument needs settling! Feb 15, 2007
fayz wrote:

You can take this road going to sohar, oman as well.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 15, 2007
Well at Al Ain you have the HILI check post...But again it is quite porous as buraimi is disputed territory....But to enter oman from Al Ain again there is a big immigration control for oman.
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 15, 2007
tismeself wrote:Doh, i didnt read the reply very carefully lol :oops:

You are lucky Concord is not around. ohhh how i miss that dawg. :oops:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat