Travel Times

Topic locked
Travel times Nov 10, 2006
Hi everyone! In 2 weeks I'm staying in the Oasis Beach Tower (Dubai Marina). I decided to make this trip, as I might be moving to Dubai next year.
I 'm curious about the travel times in Dubai. How long would a taxi ride take during busy traffic hours, how long without morning/evening traffic...

What would the travel time be between:

1. Dubai Marina & Karama Shopping Centre?
2. Dubai Marina & Deira City Centre?
3. Dubai Marina & Gold Souq?
4. Dubai Marina & Bur Dubai Souq/Hindi Lane?
5. Dubai Marina & Wafi City Mall?
6. Dubai Marina & Umm Suqeim Public Beach?
7. Dubai Marina & Madinat Jumeirah/Souq Madinat?
8. Dubai Marina & BurJuman Centre?
9. Dubai Museum & Danat Dubai Cruises (end of Trade Centre Rd, near British embassy)?
10. Dubai Marina & Dubai Int'l airport?

Thanks a lot!

Kiss,
Cabincrew80

cabincrew80
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Travel times Nov 11, 2006
cabincrew80 wrote:Hi everyone! In 2 weeks I'm staying in the Oasis Beach Tower (Dubai Marina). I decided to make this trip, as I might be moving to Dubai next year.
I 'm curious about the travel times in Dubai. How long would a taxi ride take during busy traffic hours, how long without morning/evening traffic...

What would the travel time be between:

1. Dubai Marina & Karama Shopping Centre? 60-90mins / 20mins
2. Dubai Marina & Deira City Centre? same
3. Dubai Marina & Gold Souq? 70 - 100 mins / 25mins
4. Dubai Marina & Bur Dubai Souq/Hindi Lane? 50 - 80 mins / 15 - 20mins
5. Dubai Marina & Wafi City Mall? same
6. Dubai Marina & Umm Suqeim Public Beach? 30 - 45mins / 15 - 20mins
7. Dubai Marina & Madinat Jumeirah/Souq Madinat? 15 - 25mins / 10 - 15mins
8. Dubai Marina & BurJuman Centre? 50 - 80 mins / 15 - 20mins

9. Dubai Museum & Danat Dubai Cruises (end of Trade Centre Rd, near British embassy)? same
10. Dubai Marina & Dubai Int'l airport? 60-90mins / 20mins

Thanks a lot!

Kiss,
Cabincrew80

Hope this helps

S & O
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2006
You said youll be travelling by taxi? Why not just rent a car? I personally dont use the taxi cabs but I've heard from many that they are bloody expensive.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 11, 2006
bushra21 wrote:You said youll be travelling by taxi? Why not just rent a car? I personally dont use the taxi cabs but I've heard from many that they are bloody expensive.

Not a bad idea, maybe fly drive option with the airline
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2006
keep in mind that going from Dubai Marina towards those places in the morning is pretty much smooth you will be going opposite to the rush hour traffic. Also if you are coming back in the evening (5pm-9pm) you will also be going against the traffic so it shouldnt be too long.

S&O gave you good times basically you can go anywhere in Dubai in less than 20 minutes if there is no traffic. However during rush hour your talking 1 to 1.5 hours.

Good luck !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 11, 2006
No way, do not bother to drive here if you can avoid it! People really drive so badly, it's beyond belief! And in some of the places you want to go, like the Souk and Deira, parking will be a nightmare. Moreover, if you don't know the city, it's not that easy to find your way around as a lot of streets don't have names nor numbers, it's not very logical (welcome to Dubai!). After a while you'll get used to, but if you are coming for a few days, why bother?

Take taxis, they are actually not that expensive, espceially compared to European taxi fares. I mean, if you are going to be in a taxi all day long, maybe it will be a good idea to make a deal with a taxi driver for the whole day and get a better deal. I am sure a lot of people in this forum could recommend you someone. If on the other hand you will only make a couple of trips, take individual taxis each way, they are easy to find.
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2006
Julieta wrote:No way, do not bother to drive here if you can avoid it! People really drive so badly, it's beyond belief! .

Where are you from Julieta??? and how long have you been here???....I agree traffic here is fast in comparison to other places but there are a multitude of place which are far worse off!!!!

So I def think you should reserve such comments!!!!
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 12, 2006
devilsdiciple wrote:
Julieta wrote:No way, do not bother to drive here if you can avoid it! People really drive so badly, it's beyond belief! .

Where are you from Julieta??? and how long have you been here???....I agree traffic here is fast in comparison to other places but there are a multitude of place which are far worse off!!!!

So I def think you should reserve such comments!!!!

Agreed DD
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 13, 2006
DD

I am from Venezuela (where people drive almost as bad as Dubai) but I came here straight from the UK, where I lived for 7 years and where driving is such much better than here!
I've been here for a year, so I know what I am talking about.

But I find extremely disrespectful from you to tell somebody to refrain from giving their opinion on something, this is a forum and it is normal to find people with different points of view, that's the whole point. If someone is rude or buntly offend others (which I am certainI wasn't, and and I defy you to prove me otherwise), it is up to the moderator to intervene. But for other members to react so childishly just because you disagree with their views it's outrageous, especially for something so obvious as bad traffic in Dubai!

Now I wonder how long have you lived here...either you haven't been here long enough or rather too long, and maybe I should assume that you are one of those crazy drivers nor signaling, tailgaiting, jumping the queue and taking roads as race tracks...but the fact that you find it "normal" by no means implies that it is safe nor civilised.
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2006
DD somehow I agree with Julieta, different people have different opinions. Not that Im saying she is right and you are wrong. Just try next time to avoid such comment.

Julieta not everyone is in the right mood every minute of the day. DD might have over reacted only or he is just tired. Whatever hope you understand my point.

Continue posting and enjoy! :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 13, 2006
calm down people
both sides of the coin...

driving in dubai is dangerous to a certain degree and there are more rash drivers per square mile than any other place i've lived or visited...

having said that taxis , though relatively cheap do add up as the distances are quite far and wide spread...

i personally take cabs everywhere as i am yet to decide if i want to invest in a car or not...it does restrict the urge and impulse to just pick up and go anytime anywhere...but i do feel safer by far...

dubai is predomimently a driving emirate and will remain to be so till the government gets a comprehensive public transport in place...which is in the works...and "inshallah" it will happen by 08 or 09...with the new MRT and new feeder buses...

till then cars are the majority form of tranport of choice..take it or leave it...
i left it...i basically spend less on taxis than i would in maintaining a new car...and i can go relax in the fact that on weekends i can drink as much as i wish and not bother about getting back home...

I have started on my driving lessons...as in the long run the freedom of owning a car is far outweighed by the wait of an eagerly awaited public transport system...guess what my first car is going to be...? :idea:
constantine

Nov 13, 2006
Zam, thanks for your input, nice to see that there are more tolerant and less narrow minded people in this forum. I didn't really take any offence in DD comments, I was just rather bemused of such childish, unpolite and narrow minded behaviour. Let's give DD the benefit of the doubt that he was having a bad day...

Constantine, I agree, of course that if you actually live in Dubai, driving is not really an option, it's something you have to do. Regardless of how stressing and dangerous it is. It's not convenient nor practical for most people to take cabs all the time.

But the person who started this thread is coming here for a holiday, hence my recommendation not to bother to drive if s/he could avoid it.
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2006
constantine wrote:driving in dubai is dangerous to a certain degree and there are more rash drivers per square mile than any other place i've lived or visited...

i take it youve never been to egypt...or lebanon...or qatar :shock: lol
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
constantine wrote:driving in dubai is dangerous to a certain degree and there are more rash drivers per square mile than any other place i've lived or visited...

Try Riyadh and the top of the lot; Lagos
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 14, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

Try Riyadh and the top of the lot; Lagos

hahahaha i have a couple driving stories from Lagos, I'll vouch that is the most 'rash' of them all.

Qatar i've never had a problem with but will agree with all the others from what I've seen/heard.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 14, 2006
The things that makes the roads in Dubai among the worst in the world is the driving mix of : mid-eastern impatience, far-eastern incompetence and sub-continent senselessness
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 15, 2006
mraph33 wrote:The things that makes the roads in Dubai among the worst in the world is the driving mix of : mid-eastern impatience, far-eastern incompetence and sub-continent senselessness

and western pussyness.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 15, 2006
mraph33 wrote:The things that makes the roads in Dubai among the worst in the world is the driving mix of : mid-eastern impatience, far-eastern incompetence and sub-continent senselessness

are you trying to say that westerners are perfect drivers and never become impatient, incompetent, or sensless?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 15, 2006
bushra21 wrote:

are you trying to say that westerners are perfect drivers and never become impatient, incompetent, or sensless?

One wonders what he is trying to say, mind you he left Africa out of it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 15, 2006
bushra21 wrote:

i've lived in india if that counts...hahahaha....
constantine

Nov 15, 2006
Hi

Probably a stupid question, but I'm looking at coming over, but not looking forward to driving in Dubai. Is there not any public transport and whats the chances of living and working in walking distance with all the amenities.
MERLOT
Dubai Forum User

Nov 16, 2006
Depends on the specific location.

You can roam around dubai with taxis or buses (if you want to save more or not in a hurry).
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 23, 2006
Can someone tell me how long will it take to drive from The Springs/Greens area to Al Ghurair?

Arriving in Jan, looking to live in Springs/Greens and have possible work in Al Ghurair - just want to know what the travel time is like.

thanks.
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2006
DeeDee wrote:Can someone tell me how long will it take to drive from The Springs/Greens area to Al Ghurair?

Arriving in Jan, looking to live in Springs/Greens and have possible work in Al Ghurair - just want to know what the travel time is like.

thanks.

During busy time this can take 45min - 60min

no traffic - 15-20min
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 23, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
DeeDee wrote:Can someone tell me how long will it take to drive from The Springs/Greens area to Al Ghurair?

no traffic - 15-20min

Sage, you're kidding, right?
Everyday I go back and forth from home in Karama (opp. Burjuman) and my office in Dubai Internet City (which is just across the street of Greens). It took min 20-25 minutes to reach, and that if I drive 120-140 kmh out of city and 100-120 kmh in the city with almost no traffic on specific timing.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 24, 2006
xty wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

no traffic - 15-20min

Everyday I go back and forth from home in Karama (opp. Burjuman) and my office in Dubai Internet City (which is just across the street of Greens). It took min 20-25 minutes to reach, and that if I drive 120-140 kmh out of city and 100-120 kmh in the city with almost no traffic on specific timing.

I gave no traffic option as well 15-20 minutes, was not exact but close enough to your estimate dont you think?,
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 24, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
xty wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

no traffic - 15-20min

I gave no traffic option as well 15-20 minutes, was not exact but close enough to your estimate dont you think?,

But Al Ghurair is on the other side of the creek. I'd say at least 10-15 minutes more from my place, so it'd be double of yours ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 24, 2006
xty wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
xty wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

no traffic - 15-20min

But Al Ghurair is on the other side of the creek. I'd say at least 10-15 minutes more from my place, so it'd be double of yours ;)

Al Ghurair with no traffic to Maktoum bridge is 5 minutes then you are straight through to SZR, so my estimate is OK.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum