Living With Girlfriend

Topic locked
Nov 20, 2006
I've got 2 gay guys living next to me! Its a one bed apartment too! :shock:

XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 20, 2006
XPClone wrote:I've got 2 gay guys living next to me! Its a one bed apartment too! :shock:

Keep your back to the wall when you pass them :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 20, 2006
jabbajabba wrote:Was just thinking how do they prove that you are BF and GF - is it the four witnesses thing?

Nope, it's the accommodation thing.

Or is it illegal full stop for two different fun to live in the same property - which leads me to ask if anyone knows if a non-couple have been evicted for co-habiting but not co-bed sharing??

A male and a female that aren't related either through blood or marriage are not allowed to co-habitate. As I said, half of Jumeirah would be in the shit if they enforced this, in fact... half of Dubai.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

so what to do? Nov 20, 2006
so finally what should 2 people do, I mean a boy & girl, if they are not married yet? To get married?
iurca
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: so what to do? Nov 20, 2006
iurca wrote:so finally what should 2 people do, I mean a boy & girl, if they are not married yet? To get married?

Well you have 4 options as far as I see it:

(1) Don't come
(2) Break the law (you and thousands of others)
(3) Live separately
(4) Get married

I would advise against #4 just to come to Dubai, you need better reasons than that to get married.
^ian^

Re: so what to do? Nov 20, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
iurca wrote:so finally what should 2 people do, I mean a boy & girl, if they are not married yet? To get married?

Well you have 4 options as far as I see it:

(1) Don't come
(2) Break the law (you and thousands of others)
(3) Live separately
(4) Get married

I would advise against #4 just to come to Dubai, you need better reasons than that to get married.

3.) Live Separately but you can still see your beau, men know the way (by hook or by crook) even if the law will be strictly implemented. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
how is "co-habitation" defined? does sharing a flat by a guy and a girl fall under this definition?

with the amount of prostitution that's going on in dubai, wouldn't / shouldn't the government be more focused on tackling that rather than cracking down on decent "non-married" couples whose only crime is living under one roof?
Ansa
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 20, 2006
I get it.
at the end everyone decides for himself to take or not a risk.
thanks for information.
iurca
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2006
Ansa wrote:how is "co-habitation" defined? does sharing a flat by a guy and a girl fall under this definition?

with the amount of prostitution that's going on in dubai, wouldn't / shouldn't the government be more focused on tackling that rather than cracking down on decent "non-married" couples whose only crime is living under one roof?

The government is definitely not focused on cracking down on decent "non-married" couples.
^ian^

Nov 20, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
XPClone wrote:I've got 2 gay guys living next to me! Its a one bed apartment too! :shock:

Keep your back to the wall when you pass them :wink:

and dont bend over when putting out the garbage

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Nov 20, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
Ansa wrote:how is "co-habitation" defined? does sharing a flat by a guy and a girl fall under this definition?

The government is definitely not focused on cracking down on decent "non-married" couples.

You are correct Ian, but someone could easily phone 911 and tell them. Then it would no longer be a case of "focus", more akin to "will you please come with us sir, you can collect your belongings later".
arniegang

Nov 20, 2006
+1 most unmarried couples went to jail and got deported not because they were caught, somebody dialled 911 & lodge a complain. So be careful.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
and the reason it isnt in the papers generally, is that they are given an option

1/ stay and face the music of court appearance, 1 months jail then deportation

2/ Deport yourselves tommmorow

Most take option 2 surprisingly enough

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Nov 20, 2006
And yet % wise more people die on Sheikh Zayed Road every year.
^ian^

Nov 20, 2006
Reality check. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 21, 2006
^ian^ wrote:And yet % wise more people die on Sheikh Zayed Road every year.

you dont actually know that because, you dont know how many take the option of voluntary deportation

% wise its all a risk and is of no relevance at the end of the day, there maybe only one next year Ian, and it may be you or one of your close friends or colleagues

:P
arniegang

Nov 21, 2006
arniegang wrote:

you dont actually know that because, you dont know how many take the option of voluntary deportation

% wise its all a risk and is of no relevance at the end of the day, there maybe only one next year Ian, and it may be you or one of your close friends or colleagues

And in that I would say complete bollocks and totally unlikely.
^ian^

k Nov 21, 2006
ok I got the situation,
but,but...
if I say that this is my cousine???
what then? will they ask me for any papers???or what???
iurca
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: k Nov 21, 2006
iurca wrote:ok I got the situation,
but,but...
if I say that this is my cousine???
what then? will they ask me for any papers???or what???

Then you're screwed. That's the risk you take.

Of course, I have stacks of friends I know that are co-habitating or sharing villas with people of the opposite sex. Not a single one has EVER reported a problem.

Stacks of real life, living, breathing, non-cyber buddy, human friends, living in Dubai, sharing with the opposite sex, not married, and have NEVER had a problem.

Make up your own mind.
^ian^

Nov 21, 2006
Right, having read the whole topic, I (and guaranteed some others) am still confused.

Most people in Dubai have maids/servants, correct?

If they are female (which 99.9% of them are), is it illegal for them to live together? Because I know of lots of families who let their maids live with them.

Also, if you (a male) and a female friend live together in a house owned by a couple who are married, is this illegal?

Please, enlighten me.

Ross

PS Don't flame me, I'm not trying to be s.e.x.i.s.t., I'm just stating the facts.
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 21, 2006
[quote="rossbaku"]Right, having read the whole topic, I (and guaranteed some others) am still confused.

I agree with that.
Still yet this is a forum everyone gives his information and opinion, and u should take the decision by yourself.
That's it!
iurca
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2006
Well, once again I have to agree with Sage & Onion.

Currently our landlord is trying to screw us over on a new lease for next year. We are likely headed to the rent committee. If hubby and I were not married, and the landlord knew it - he could blackmail us to pay his price or he'd report us. If it came out in the rent committee hearing that we are unmarried, we would likely be screwed as well. This is just one example of a situation where cohabitating while unmarried can cause some grief.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 21, 2006
that is a real situation and I have to admit it might be quite common.
And as I feel it might happen also to me and my girlfriend, so...I'l have to make some moves 8)
thanks for example.
cheers
iurca
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2006
a great example K
arniegang

Nov 21, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
arniegang wrote:

And in that I would say complete bollocks and totally unlikely.

Its not bollox at all Ian, anyone on these forums could dob you or anyone else that is known to co-habit, or any 1 of your friends outside of this forum. It does happen mate, may not as yet in your small circle, but it will always remain a possibility.
arniegang

Nov 21, 2006
What about hanging out in public? I don't mean like touching each other or
crap like that. I don't like people doing that no matter in what country they
are in. But I mean like hanging out; doing lunch, take a walk, go to the
cinema, hang out in the city and stores as friends and etc, what about those
stuff?
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 22, 2006
Burken, you can do that kind of stuff in public, that isn't illegal here.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 22, 2006
Man oh man, "free" time is a great thing (I suppose).

Male and female living together, unmarried, unrelated = illegal. Killing someone else = illegal. Trafficking drugs = illegal. Exceeding the speed limit = illegal. Overstaying your visa = illegal. Public Drunknessness = illegal. Stealing = illegal, etc. etc.

Your choice! It's alll relative (unless she is not then...)
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 22, 2006
Concord wrote:Man oh man, "free" time is a great thing (I suppose).

Male and female living together, unmarried, unrelated = illegal. Killing someone else = illegal. Trafficking drugs = illegal. Exceeding the speed limit = illegal. Overstaying your visa = illegal. Public Drunknessness = illegal. Stealing = illegal, etc. etc.

Your choice! It's alll relative (unless she is not then...)

What is your point here Concs?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 22, 2006
arniegang wrote:Its not bollox at all Ian, anyone on these forums could dob you or anyone else that is known to co-habit,

They'd be a complete wanker if they did, since I don't co-habitate.
^ian^

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum