Advertising In Dubai - Sweet? Stinks?

Topic locked
advertising in dubai - sweet? stinks? Nov 12, 2006
Being a part of the industry, would love to hear your take on it!

:D

pixie 32
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 13, 2006
Amateur
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 13, 2006
It's OK... One thing I noticed while walking along SZR is that most of the loong vertical advertisements on buildings are useless... But the ones they put on the 21st century tower are the best (Regardless of what is actually advertised)... For instance, the one for Wild Wadi on the building next to Shangri-la is hardly visible!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 13, 2006
liverpool4ever wrote:It's OK... One thing I noticed while walking along SZR is that most of the loong vertical advertisements on buildings are useless... But the ones they put on the 21st century tower are the best (Regardless of what is actually advertised)... For instance, the one for Wild Wadi on the building next to Shangri-la is hardly visible!

:shock:

you walk along SZR....

you brave soul you
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
liverpool4ever wrote:It's OK... One thing I noticed while walking along SZR is that most of the loong vertical advertisements on buildings are useless... But the ones they put on the 21st century tower are the best (Regardless of what is actually advertised)... For instance, the one for Wild Wadi on the building next to Shangri-la is hardly visible!

:shock:

you walk along SZR....

you brave soul you

Umm, it's not that dangerous to walk on the pavement ;)

Used to it anyway, been roaming around it for years =p
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 13, 2006
oh and i dont really pay much attention to the advertisments while driving....im too busy trying to stay alive and not run over by some habtoor truck and crashed into by some guy driving a nissan sunny.

except for the chanel ad billboard thing that is displayed right after you cross garhoud bridge (coming towards dubai)...i really want the watch they used to have advertised on there....

but other than that, i cant think of any other ads ive even noticed
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
bushra21 wrote:oh and i dont really pay much attention to the advertisments while driving....im too busy trying to stay alive and not run over by some habtoor truck and crashed into by some guy driving a nissan sunny.

except for the chanel ad billboard thing that is displayed right after you cross garhoud bridge (coming towards dubai)...i really want the watch they used to have advertised on there....

but other than that, i cant think of any other ads ive even noticed

Barely notice most of the ads for the same reason, I am fascinated sometimes with all the new things on the roads, the projects, etc. although I drive myself through those roads on daily basis!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 13, 2006
Unoriginal, Uninspiring, Unremarkable.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 13, 2006
The huge hoardings everywhere are an eysore.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 13, 2006
Am a part of the industry as well, all the posts above talk about billboards, dunno howmuch of a recall value is attached to them, when i drive anywhere in dubai the only thing i can concentrate on is the road.

But what about the print media, i have found some good concepts being used for real estate companies, and i am not talking of the listings, am talking about the teasers.

Agreed, sometimes the ads seem like stuck in the rut, but wouldnt like to take it away from people who come up with good ads
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
Jeevan wrote:Am a part of the industry as well, all the posts above talk about billboards, dunno howmuch of a recall value is attached to them, when i drive anywhere in dubai the only thing i can concentrate on is the road.

But what about the print media, i have found some good concepts being used for real estate companies, and i am not talking of the listings, am talking about the teasers.

Agreed, sometimes the ads seem like stuck in the rut, but wouldnt like to take it away from people who come up with good ads

When you talk about Print Media, a Company which is making mega bucks right now is Gulf News, they currently run 3 tabloid style supliments on a daily basis, something like 180 pages of property adverts, quietly sitting there making a fortune :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Advertising Nov 13, 2006
The overall industry sucks - lots of connections required if you want to make it big.
There are complete power-play groups within the industry - the Lebanese, Indians, Western expats and all! Then theres stuff to do with the regionality and other variables!
There might be some good work being done, but it lacks the level of professionalism and subjectivity.
True theres huge shitloads of money changing hands, but I guess thats all there that is - fancy stuff and all, minus the thinking part!

Cheers,
Zeeshan
zeesh2
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Advertising Nov 13, 2006
zeesh2 wrote:The overall industry sucks - lots of connections required if you want to make it big.
There are complete power-play groups within the industry - the Lebanese, Indians, Western expats and all! Then theres stuff to do with the regionality and other variables!
There might be some good work being done, but it lacks the level of professionalism and subjectivity.
True theres huge shitloads of money changing hands, but I guess thats all there that is - fancy stuff and all, minus the thinking part!

Cheers,
Zeeshan

Well that's what they call advertising here. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 13, 2006
what's RUWAAD?
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 13, 2006
It's a teaser ad for a company/organization named RUWAAD. - i think so.

'Muntada Ruwaad Al Amal' (Association of Business Entrepreneurs) - an association of national businessmen.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 13, 2006
RUWAAD - is also property company based in Sharjah. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 13, 2006
its a bitter sweet pill in an emerging market still pillioned by the exsistance of standards and practices but at the same time hypocritical enough to ignore certain foul languages and vices whereas totally stringent and strict upon other acts...imagine you can show violence but you cannot show a person kissing or hugging...but are we referring to print advertising / banners and billboards or media adverts (as i work in media)...either ways a bit neanderthal and orthodox...and i do not mean the campaigns that gucchi and armani and hugo boss come up with...where are the nike (man jumping thru successive walls) , united colors of benetton (black man holding a while womans hands) the off the cuff and really makes you sit up and notice kinda stuff...having said that...this is a muslim country and the whole "dont blame the game" stance stands...the most mildly interesting billboard i saw was the whole new burger king "finding hummour" billboard...and the other one which made me notice purely out of material interest was the "giving away a studio with a new flat"...only downside is...they are still working on the completion of the flat... :lol:
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 13, 2006
A pretty woman holding a bottle of perfume. Very creative!
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 13, 2006
Do you people remember the ad by Mc donalds, the arabic lady? man it was a disaster.
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
Jeevan wrote:Do you people remember the ad by Mc donalds, the arabic lady? man it was a disaster.

Jeevs I cant remember, tell me!!!! pls? :lol:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 13, 2006
zam wrote:
Jeevan wrote:Do you people remember the ad by Mc donalds, the arabic lady? man it was a disaster.

Jeevs I cant remember, tell me!!!! pls? :lol:

Zam it was an ad for Mcarabia, they wanted to add an arabic flavor to the ad, but the girl who was in the ad had such sad eyes i would have never thought of buying it. luckily they realised it and took it off soon :)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat