Rescuer For Sunni?

Topic locked
Rescuer for Sunni? Oct 20, 2009
Just curious, As Shia believe that Hazrat e Mahdi will come back and will rescue the world, do Sunni people have this belief too? and if yes, who is their rescuer?

melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 20, 2009
Yes, Sunnis also believe that a reformer will come in the latter days in the form of a 'Guided Leader' - i.e. 'Imam Mahdi'. He will be followed by the second coming of Jesus.

This is found in Hadith in Bukhari, Muslim etc.

One of the things the Imam Mahdi will do is discriminate between the various groups of Muslims - pointing out which one is right! (This is a unanimous view of Muslims - about what Imam Mahdi will do - and each set of scholars/Mullahs/alims think that he will vindicate their view).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 20, 2009
Thanks Shaf for the info. so u may know there are no lots of Sunni in Iran. but I have this colleague who is sunni and I asked her, she said they beleived that someone will be born as rescuer, it's not Imam Mahdi who will come back. Is there different beliefs among different Sunni groups?
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 20, 2009
Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer.

The Sunni belief about Imam Mahdi is that he will be a normal person who will be born and grow up and then receive revelation from Allah that he is the Imam of the age, the Imam Mahdi.

This differs from "12'er" shia beliefs that the Imam Mahdi will be/is the 12th Imam who will return. It also differs from other Shia sects' views on the identity of the Imam Mahdi.

The differences between sects is over the identity of the Imam Mahdi, not that whether he will come or not. There is little difference over what his actions/mission will be when he comes, although there is some debate over whether the prophecies will be fulfilled literally or metaphorically.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums