Newspapers

Topic locked
newspapers Jan 16, 2005
its bullshit that they dont report all the bad news in the newspapers and its all censored to let us think uae is a safe place.
its all lies. :evil: :twisted: :?

175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2005
What exactly is that u are missing out on?
Alvii
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 16, 2005
Not all newspapers... but...
There was a murder in Golden Sands 6.
I used to live there. So I tried to find about this in Gulf News on internet...
I didn't find anything...
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Jan 17, 2005
but isnt the illusion of being safe what we really want?

i guess it is an ethical approach to it, but in our subconcious we dont really want to know. we want to think we are safe. we want to live this lie.

it is to the greater good of the majority that stuff like this remains unsaid.
keep it mind this doesnt work in all comunities. u cant keep all crime in the america hidden. but in a small country like this espcialy a tourist country. you can understand why they would so that? wouldnt you?

over all we can agree that the crimes if they do happen are rare. even if we dont hear about it. we can tell they are rare from the nature of the ppl who live here. u can drop a wallet and you still have a good chance of getting it back. besides every one who enters the country is employed so they wouldnt do a theft out of desperation.

as for crimes commited in angry rages. i dont think they should allert the puplic. because the media will for there own sack to print more newpapers throw it out of propertion
FAKESPIKE

Jan 20, 2005
dont be a freaking knob fakespike if something happens then the publuc should know about it.we are not mushrooms and should not be kept in the dark.
Finished :roll:
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 26, 2005
why? i mean who will it benefit.
i mean if someone was killed how ill that effect your life? u think knowing that info will make you anyless likly to get killed next? how will it benefit you whats so ever knowing. gossip?

it will just become a another america. those sorts of news only ever benefits the newspapers and business. they terrify the puplic and its a business strategy used commenly.

believe me knowing wont help you. but not knowing will benefit you even if you choose to not believe me. it might seem strange but consider this analogy.

we all know we are going to die. and alot of ppl say "i want to know when i'm going to die!" for what ever reason "so i can prepar" or whatever. ppl say they want to know and they think its good for them but in fact it will do them no good knowing and it will only serve to effect there current life style.

think about it logicaly u will see my point.

like i said i dont think its right hiding information but i totally understand why that would do something like that.
FAKESPIKE

Jun 21, 2005
true, not good hiding it but we won't benefit from knowing about every horrible thing that happens around us either.... In Europe you onstantly reminded how sick the society is and i am almost certain that some sick people even get new ideas by just reading the papers and watching the news - Who cares how someone was shot or stabbed........ it is depressing to read stuff like that first thing in the morning before even you have started work ...
Ali-1974
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 21, 2005
Unfortunatly in other countries, especially the US, that is what sells. THey never report on who graduated High School or someone donating a heart or something.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jun 22, 2005
I think the term "Ignorance is bliss!" is valid here.

The UAE has come under fire recently because of the amount of censorship and the amount of things the local press and media are not allowed to release.

But if you knew everything, would we all not become totally paranoid?

Look at the drive by shooting at the Hard Rock cafe a few years ago - how many people knew about that? Was it reported? I doubt it!

I think you have to ask the question, is a story in the public interest?

7 Days got bombarded with complaints this week for showing the horrific injuries sustained by a Canadina boy in a school shooting - the true photo was printed by mistake! Yet Al Jazeera TV shows horrific images everyday, we go to see movies with horrific images, just because we see it happen in true life, why is it more offensive?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 22, 2005
People are inherently attracted to watching pain and suffering from a distance more so than seeing good things happen....

In essence...

News people would watch: Cat sodomized by mayor
News people wouldn't watch: Cat rescued from tree by mayor

News people would watch: President gets blown by mistress
News people wouldn't watch: President visits Moldovan orphanage

Thats life...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 27, 2005
Some one should tell the Sheikh to ease up on the restrictions on freedom of speech. These newspapers actually do self-censorship in fear of getting pull of the shelf.
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 27, 2005
Revoution. It will take one brave generation to come together and say "We need to change". People with power are afraid of anything that might threaten it, hence the censorship.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums