For Shafique - Gibbon And The Historicity Of The NT

Topic locked
Oct 30, 2009
Asked and answered.

I've come across some obtuse posters before, but I think you take the cake.

What don't you understand, or better yet, what do you think is being asked in the quote below?

My only guess is that you are purposely misreading the quote so you do not have to actually attempt to answer it.

which NT passages are historically inaccurate based on the contemporary sources written at the time outside of the NT?

I seriously cannot imagine how someone with enough brain cells to turn on a computer can not apparently understand the written word.

The primary sources of the gospels are different from the canonised Bible

What? I'm asking for primary sources from the first century written by non-Christians, such as Roman statesmen and historians - when the events of the New Testament were said to have occurred.

As I said, I've come across some idiots/trolls, but you are the biggest so far.

This is particularly so when it comes to the differences between Jewish Christianity and Pauline Christianity.

Let me know when you get around to explaining the different beliefs amongst Jewish Christians, in particular the differences between the followers of Stephen and the later Pharisaic Christian converts.

Oh, and please stop pontificating on the New Testament and first century Jewish beliefs until you get around to answering this question.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for not disagreeing on the main point -

Gibbon showed that Pauline Christians had inserted false verses into the Bible to distort the historical account and justify their theological point of view vis-a-vis Jewish Christians.

Do you disagree?

You seem to be confusing the canonised Bible's version of the NT texts with that actually written by the original authors of the NT - and other authors of gospels that didn't make it to the canon.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 30, 2009
which NT passages are historically inaccurate based on the contemporary sources written at the time outside of the NT?

As I said, unbelievably stupid.
event horizon

Oct 30, 2009
shafique wrote:
You seem to be confusing the canonised Bible's version of the NT texts with that actually written by the original authors of the NT - and other authors of gospels that didn't make it to the canon.

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 30, 2009

Which is irrelevant to this thread.

As I said, unbelievably stupid.

Dumbest member ever.

Edit:

As if this couldn't be clear enough, I'm asking for writings from the first century written by others - Jewish, Roman, etc, that contradict the historical events of the New Testament. Nothing you have brought up even comes close to the question posed.

You are just unbelievably dumb.

Edit II: Writings from such historians as Josephus would be a start. But again, you're just too dumb to understand such a basic and straight forward question. Absolutely dumb.
event horizon

Oct 30, 2009
This thread asked about Gibbon's evidence that the NT was not historically accurate.

He showed that Canonised Bible contains forged verses in the NT which distort the historical account.

QED.

I understand you want to ask other questions and that you don't dispute the above facts. Knock yourself out.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 30, 2009
This thread asked about Gibbon's evidence that the NT was not historically accurate.

You're 50% right as opposed to being 100% wrong. Now all you need to do is understand the other part of my question.

Are you having difficulties with the meaning of extent sources from the 1st century that contradict the historical narrative of the New Testament?
event horizon

Oct 30, 2009
Which NT accounts - the original ones penned say before the end of 2nd century CE or those that were canonised and contained fabricated verses?

How about the gospels (both those that were and that weren't destroyed by Pauline Christians) and were penned in the 1st and 2nd C CE - but didn't make it to the canon - should their accounts be considered as 'contemporary'?

For me, your opening post stated that you thought Gibbon hadn't talked about the NT accounts - and you made reference to something about Roman history. I showed you that Gibbon showed that the NT that was canonised had been corrupted by Pauline Christians and therefore could not be trusted as an unbiased and unedited historical account.

Thanks for allowing me to reiterate this point many times this morning. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 30, 2009
How about the gospels (both those that were and that weren't destroyed by Pauline Christians) and were penned in the 1st and 2nd C CE - but didn't make it to the canon - should their accounts be considered as 'contemporary'?

Modern historians don't believe gospels were actually burnt. This is a rather complicated (explaining anything to you seems to be complicated) explanation - in short, inefficient Roman bureaucracy and the fact the edict was issued twice in a short time span by emperors shows that the government never actually got around to doing anything. The texts, as with most things written in the ancient world, were a victim of time, not fire.

I showed you that Gibbon showed that the NT that was canonised had been corrupted by Pauline Christians and therefore could not be trusted as an unbiased and unedited historical account

Unfortunately, my question is dealing with accounts from the first century written at the time of the New Testament events were said to have taken place or shortly thereafter - such as Roman writers who never documented the natural phenomena surrounding Jesus' crucifixion or any account of a Galilean healer performing miracles, such as feeding thousands or talking as an infant - even though other historical figures are documented by the Romans such as John the Baptist.
event horizon

Oct 30, 2009
I didn't say all contemporary gospels were burnt, but asked whether these gospels would count as contemporary accounts of what happened in the early communities that followed Jesus' teachings.

A simple question.

As was the question as to which NT you are referring to - the unadulterated earliest manuscripts, or the ones with the fabricated verses inserted by Pauline Christians in support of their theology?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums