Recruitment Process Frustrations! Advice From Hr Folks?

Topic locked
Recruitment Process Frustrations! Advice from hr folks? Jul 12, 2007
I have been interviewing for a post since mid-May. To date I have had 6 interviews (telephonic and face-to-face), I have done two extensive consulting style assessments.

I was informed last week that I am now to have yet another interview which is yet to be scheduled.

I've never experienced this type of process before. (I'm an American with an MBA and this is an Anglo American firm.)

Is this atypical in the middle east.

Any advice?

thsmbradford
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 12, 2007
Oh Yes! Welcome to Dubai - The wheels of recruitment turn very slowly here!

Several interviews are the norm (although six is pushing it) and everybody expects you to do some sort of test/assesment/exercise.

Don't expect much to happen over the next few weeks as so many folk are gone for the summer, then you have a short window of 'normality' before Ramadan when once again - nothing will happen.

Good Luck and be Patient - you will get there in the end!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Recruitment Process Frustrations! Advice from hr folks? Jul 13, 2007
thsmbradford wrote:I have been interviewing for a post since mid-May. To date I have had 6 interviews (telephonic and face-to-face), I have done two extensive consulting style assessments.

I was informed last week that I am now to have yet another interview which is yet to be scheduled.

I've never experienced this type of process before. (I'm an American with an MBA and this is an Anglo American firm.)

Is this atypical in the middle east.

Any advice?

Fret not. I started the process in early May! I had an interview in my home country. Thereafter, they flew me over to UAE for a series of interviews and assessments in late May. In the middle of June, they informed me I passed the tests/interviews etc and their HR will provide me the offer. Well it has been a month and nothing has been heard from them. So I do share your frustration but this I reckon is how things are being done there!
chubbyhubby
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 19, 2007
Hi guys

I'm not even as far down the road as you guys with the recruitment process and I am already frustrated!

Help! I don't do patient.

Just think of all the talent they are missing out on, by allowing us the time to look elsewhere!

I'm thinking of changing direction.... can't bare this frustration!
And If I am still to go through what you are experienced.... oh my :shock:

Maybe time for a change of plan! :? :? :?
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2007
It is quite normal in Dubai to take long to recruit. It depends on the urgency of the vacancy to be filled. The problem is high number of applicants for the vacant position. If we put in an ad for a graphic designer we get a huge pool of candiates. usually we call in a few for interview see their portfolio, give thm a short assignment, if we like the work we hire them or move to the next set. So even if u get a couple of interviews usually it doesnt mean u get thejob.

With high profile positions its a different story, there are a lot of decision makers involved and unless they reach a decision nothing goes ahead. I had cleared 5 rounds with a renowned publication in Dubai over a period of 2 months, but dint hear from them, so i took up the current job. I heard from them 6 months down the line that i have been selected. Now shudnt they realise no one is going to wait for 6 months waiting for their reply?.

So its in the best interest to keep applying and giving interviews, in case u get a better opportunity take it up, but better get used to the slowness of the process here.

Cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Jobs in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Jobs in Dubai