Finding A Job

Topic locked
finding a Job Jun 23, 2007
well iam new in this forum and iam very interested to find a good Job opportunity in Dubai, iam a bachelor student in English literature, and looking forward to find a good Job,i speak Good frensh, Good english, and Good arabic, i can provide you with more information if anyone is interested.

chakour
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 25, 2007
wow. soo many languages!!

good luck finding a job
mighty.one
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2007
Good luck indeed. It's hard work finding a job in Dubai (when you aren't there), In my experience it's long winded and FRUSTRATING!!!!

Let me know how you get on, any tips gratefully received!

:wink:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 14, 2007
Hi English Girlie!

I agree, its frustrating finding a job when youre not there yet and what youre doing is online applications... either someone will reply saying "Give me a call when you VISIT Dubai" (i almost laughed when i read that!) or someone will offer you a very low wage that if you accept & analyze youre goanna have a lifestyle poorer than street rats!

well, i just wanna know if you are in Dubai now..and how did you go there or how did you find a job...

i know there are tons of websites but which is really which??? i need some sort of advice from someone who had actually have the experience of receiving an offer from a job post seen online in real life.

and yes i know that visit visa is an option, so you dont have to tell me about that anymore

im reading a lot and i am desperate for a substantial advise...and yeah! this is goanna be a very long shot!
MyAd25
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 14, 2007
Hi MyAd25,

If you want the hard honest truth? The chances of you soliciting a job off of a forum site like this are almost zero, yes there are real jobs posted here, but have you ever seen the amount of hits a topic like that takes in a day?

I did a posting a little while back under the "Professionals" section of the forum, its right at the top of the forum. Over the past years I must have read hundreds of postings on DF, all with a similar theme "How do I get a job in Dubai", "Please get me a job in Dubai". Simply it is not easy finding a suitable job; the chances of simply clicking on a website and getting an immediate placement are not very high.

The are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people all wanting to work in Dubai for a variety of reasons, some to improve their economic status (from nil to a few hundred dollars a month), some to improve from a few hundred to a few thousand, some wanting to gain middle eastern work experience etc.

You also need to realise that Dubai is very competitive from a business perspective, employers will shave off a few Dollars where ever they can and generally speaking cut the product delivery standards and quality in the process. While you may complain about receiving a low wage as a western expat you also need to consider that for about 15,000 AED per month (4,100 USD), which many western educated expats would find the bare minimum, and employer can hire 3 or possibly even 4 Indian, Pilipino or Sri Lankan accountants (qualified) who would be more than happy to have a chance to earn this type of money.

I'm not quiet sure what my point was now, but there was one when I started typing... ah, yes. You have to consider Dubai the epitome of the international job and business market, and remember that when you apply for a vacancy you have a lot more subtle issues and motivating factors at play than when you simply apply for a job in your home country.

Personally, and you may laugh at this, I was selected out of 600 candidates for my first position, and had to undergo a "survivor-like" elimination process over a full year before I was finally given the position or even set foot in Dubai.

The moral of my story is that you have to go and get it, don't wait for it to come to you. My advice is that if you are serious about wanting to work in Dubai, use some time off - vacation, what-ever and visit with a plan in mind. I would say that if you are in Dubai and apply for a vacancy you have a 70 - 80% better chance of getting the job than a person who is still out of the country.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 15, 2007
Hi Dbxsoul,

So youre a survivor huh!

Now thats what an advice I am talking about! Thankss! But you have touched many issues from what you have written.

I am not actually soliciting for JOB or a position itself from this forum. What am looking for are some expert advise or stories that may let me know more where Im standing now and what can I do to get what i want. Im aware of those job postings and I even tried applying for job matches but nah ah.its a wish upon a star. And i know that truth about how many people are fighting over jobs anywhere there. Online or even if you are there already. and my eyes are fully functioning to see those hits youve mentioned.

Im not gonna post here and say "ANYONE HAS A POSITION FOR ME???" who do i think i am to do that? just like what youve said I have to go get what i want to get. Thats what I think I am doing. Im just not sure what more I should. I just need to be directed to a correct channel maybe.

I know some people will say to me, go read your readings! Cool! But I ve read a lot and still reading and some stories are really funny and entertaining. Bizaare too.. Like that one youve mentioned about salary. Is racism correct term for that? tell me if not.

Well, anyway thanks for some good thoughts again. I got my reasons why I am pursuing this. Im not goanna share to nobody except to the one who knows it.

Ive got some more questions since I believe now you are a knowledgeable one after surviving that hell of a screening, for the record, thats the toughest screening ive ever heard of. I have been through quite often with that kind of experience but the farthest I had was being selected out of 50 or 60 which is nearly 10% of what you have. im wondering now how old you are.he he he! they say the older you got the wiser youd be.

Do you know some companies operating there that have offices in New York. or NY located agencies placing applicants there? This is random but i guess you might have some ideas. i have been searching for those too. let me know if you know some.

And lastly, just want to confirm that if youre staying for two weeks in Dubai you dont need to have a visa.is that correct? i think ive read that somewhere. and are 2 weeks be enough to get a placement? what would be my considerations aside from printing tons of CVs as it is called there, and targetting which companies id like to go.
MyAd25
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 15, 2007
After reading your post (and reply) I’ve been searching for a good analogy of what it is like to work in Dubai. This is as close as I can get, so it’s not 100% accurate, but I’m pretty sure you can draw parallels between the two and extrapolate from there.

Take Disney Land in Florida, most people know about it or have seem pictures of it, looks impressive, filled with fun things to do, exotic rides, imaginary buildings, busy, bustling, reputation for high standards of customer service and maintenance etc.

Wow, to work there and be part of all that! So you look for and finally find a job, the screening process is long and intense as they have high expectations of their employees. Take it one step further, Disney Land now offers tax free packages to it employees, even better, more people want to work there and get their piece of the action.

You get a job, and after your first day at work you realise something….

All those happy smiling faces that you saw in the pictures, people walking about eating ice cream, riding those rides and having a good time… they were the paying customers, not the employees! The employees have a small staff room tucked away out of sight; they don’t eat ice cream and popcorn for breakfast, lunch and dinner; the employees work long hours to keep the customers happy, the employees have to endure the endless abuse from snotty tourists, the employees don’t get to go on the rides while they are at work!

The employees can however when they have a day off come to Disney Land and enjoy the rides, food and adventure – but they must pay for it, just like all the other customers. The employee may just to see how it feels spend one or two of his/ her off days at the park to experience the rides, but somehow the magic has worn off.
You don’t see a huge stuffed Donald Duck walking up to greet you, you know that it’s actually Bert inside a costume, the same old Bert who sits at the other end of the staff canteen, belching, puffing on his smoke and scratching his backside…. You know walking past an authentic looking 14th centaury castle with neatly clipped hedges, colourful banners and turret, that it actually a façade attached to an ugly steel framework that the customers can’t see from the outside.

Where’s the magic now?

Okay, well maybe the above analogy does stretch things slightly and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt : )

As to your questions:
1. The visa is dependant on what passport you hold.
2. Racism, may be a little extreme a term to use as it is not always an issue of colour or even ethnicity; “ethnic bias” or maybe even “social casting” may be more correct terms in the circumstances, but yes it does exist and it can affect your earning potential. To go elaborate a little - you also find it within certain ethnic groups living within Dubai, so it really makes for an interesting case study – you find it between different casts in the Indian and Pakistani residents, between Arabs of different backgrounds and origins, even between British of different social backgrounds etc… it’s really a social and cultural melting pot!
3. Many of the large multi-nationals have offices in the Free zones, this way they can maintain a regional office/ presence, but not have to have the involvement of a local sponsor. In your position, accounting crosses most sectors of the economy and you are not really restricted to any particular industry sector. Possibly look at some of the larger names, Microsoft, CNN, KPMG etc.. Another company I ran across a while back Kaiser & Associates (or was it Kaiser Associates), actually make use of young accounting and business graduates to do most of their consulting work and have offices in Dubai, I think however they will only employ (and train) them for a period of 2 years – it was some kind of extended internship program.
4. CV is preferred here as resumes are a little to “bare-bones” if you consider that you would be employing a person basically on an interview and a piece of paper he presents you. Keep this to between 3 and 4 pages, but you could go to 5 depending on your experience.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Jobs in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Jobs in Dubai