Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships

Topic locked
Discussing Dubai's Readiness for Dating/Relationships Oct 04, 2012
The ancient subject, I know, but I need to figure it out!

Honestly, it has always puzzled me, the situation in Dubai, I have always felt something wasn't the way I thought it should be but sometimes I wonder if it's me or the environment that's making things less than accessible. I don't like to put the blame on external factors if there is something in me that I could change to achieve better results.

‏Over time I have developed several methods of explaining the situation to people new to Dubai, it would generally go like this: "Listen buddy, in this city, you're a victim of the statistics, which in this case are quite-unbalanced statistics. You have 73% something of the population being MEN, most of them are totally available and yearning for a relationship, while the remaining 27% something are WOMEN. Needless to say, many of those women are conservative, married, or came to Dubai with their boyfriends/spouses, hence they are practically unavailable, take that out and you're left with another total percentage, but we're not yet done. Then you'll have to start considering the obvious and non-obvious forms of prostitution, which are honestly prevalent (for the reasons mentioned previously). There are so many women in Dubai who do not want, or cannot afford the luxury of having boyfriends, they simply utilize their se|xual capacity to make an income or add to their existing income. Those are also unavailable. In fact, I have come across so many examples of women who are not prostitutes in the sense that they get paid per night, but have a se|xual agenda extremely similar to that of a prostitute, but let's not make this brief analysis even more complicated."

‏Whether you like my way of putting it or not, it's beneficial for this discussion that I simply tell you what I think.

‏Recently I sent a message to one of my friends, Sophie, who (while in Denmark) has met someone through OkCupid (from Spain), and now after 2 years it seems that it's actually working. She was wondering why I'm still single and what's wrong with Dubai, "Isn't Dubai supposed to be this and that", she said. I don't know how to answer that, maybe there is something wrong with me, but I sent this reply nevertheless, which I'd like to make a part of this discussion:
It's great to hear that. You and Pedro, very nice.

‏It's complicated to explain why it's the way it is in Dubai. Some might tell you it is incredibly easy to get women, but it really depends on the job of the person and where they live. In Dubai, your personality, as shocking as it sounds, simply doesn't matter! What you say or how you behave is of little relevance, under certain circumstances you'll have lots of chicks, effortlessly, but not so many are those living under those circumstances.

‏It's fascinating, and I might talk about it some other time, but the bottom line is that it is kinda difficult to get anyone to be interested in you, no matter how intelligent and charming you are, while having a low-level job or being on budget. Not in Dubai. At least not from the social circle I find myself more attracted to (I share little to be honest with many of the working ***, *** and ***. Mostly uneducated and simply unsuitable).

To put things in context: I worked as a barista in Dubai for 2 years. Being the barista I was, I was getting 2700 a month, 1300 of that used to go to my house. I also lived in Karama. It really helps this discussion that you complement your viewpoint with some information on what you do and where you stay. Seemingly Dubai doesn't look the same through the eyes of different people depending on where they live/work and how much they earn.

I know it is the same everywhere but I find the salary differences in Dubai to be a bit drastic. For example, assuming that I would get this job with BlackBerry that I am trying to get, my income would jump from 2700 to 18,000 dirhams a month, which is more than 6 times the salary, simply because I chose to leave my passion for now and work in my actual field. Not only this, working with BlackBerry (if it happened) would make other people perceive me in a totally different way, but you might say that this is the way it is everywhere in the world. I yet have to argue that here it is a bit more superficial.

ADDITIONAL NOTE1: The original title of this post was "Discussing Women's Availability in Dubai", and while I still think that the realtively-simple notion of statistical availability summarizes, or accounts to most of the problem, I've eventually decided to make the title more general to invite the suggestion of other (potentially crucial) aspects.

ADDITIONAL NOTE2: I think that the current imbalance creates a big problem both for men and women. I don't want the title of my post to give the impression that I think of "women's availability" as a man's problem, it is not! It is a serious societal defect. In fact, you'd more than often hear women in Dubai saying that most men in Dubai are jerks or that there are no nice guys in Dubai, which is partially justified in the fact that the men of Dubai are desperate and that Dubai's working conditions don't encourage a proper development of relationships.

orwa84
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Dec 15, 2012
Orwa,
I'm not interested in the topic really.
Just wanted to complement you on your writing.
I hope you have a blog or something.
If so, can you post the link?
Thanks.
Blaqone
blaqone

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Dec 16, 2012
Thanks man.

No I don't have a blog :-)
orwa84
Dubai Expat Wannabe

better not date anything in Dubai

girls here are spoilt , because of the huge ratio problem , the hot chick are all taken by the flashier folks that spend alot of money on them. what is left is the pscyhos , ugly , fatties that might be contaminated with STDs. Most women in UAE are also dependant , so be prepare to pay up if you hook up with one. i dont find any intellecually stimulating converstation with women in here. most of them are pampered dummies carrying a luois vuitton handbag.

when i studied abroad , majority of women only really cared about your personaltiy and not your wallet. they also were workign and very independant. infact the men were kinda lazy slobs. they would sit home and look after kids while the women worked.
bossman
Dubai forums Addict

Orwa, get one. I think you might surprise yourself.

And to both of you: this is a difficult and sensitive subject.
Any relationship where there's a significant earning gap (not by agreement or deliberate design/mutual decision)
is not easy.
I do not recommend it.

Just deactivated my profile so administrators will block me soon.
So P.S. as a woman who has earned more than her partner before, I would never do it again.
It's not about the money; it's all the other issues that that imbalance, stirs up.

Cheers.
blaqone

It really depends on whether the gap in the earning is dictated by a significant difference in the level of education, in which case it is not the actual gap in the earning that matters, but rather the gap in the intellectual level.

I chose to work in the coffee industry because it has been always my dream to work coffee, but I am much more highly educated than many of the ladies who work in offices and earn 4-6 times the amount I earn. I have done significant research as part of my Masters degree that resulted in at least one patent. My thesis is 150 pages and contains hundreds of mathematical equations.

I am not bragging, I am just clarifying that I am intelligent and educated. The fact I do not earn much in the moment does not reflect my potential. On the other hand, by dating a less educated female that has a comparable earning I'd be making a mistake, as she will never be mentally satisfying to me and I will just end up hurting her, which is why I actually abstain from that (see how rediculously good I am? I did hurt one before and I will never do it again).

Dating someone who's on my same level is also not possible due to the spoiled female population as bossman said, and the terrible statistics. So I can see that by going for my passion I have unintentionally created a difficult situation for myself. In fact, I find myself educating women about their opportunity in Dubai, I tell them: "often in other countries, you have to choose between the handsome, the intelligent or the rich, but in Dubai, you can have them all". I am my own self's enemy because I am honest and because I understand that the statistics work to the women's favor.

Having said that, I am not yet ready for writing a blog. But I want to write a book about my life in Dubai, oneday, I think my life here makes an interesting story.

Unfortunately, I don't like what bossman said but it's sadly true.
orwa84
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Dec 17, 2012
orwa84 ,

i just say thigns the way they are , sometimes its a bitter pill , but saves you tons of trouble. If you are looking for a partner get outta dubai.

let me know when your books comes out , reserve me the first copy

wish you luck in your endeavors
bossman
Dubai forums Addict

Thanks bossman!

By the way I am so happy I started working as a coffee roaster that I want to share this photo with everyone. I know it won't make my life any easier again but I still think I got myself the most awesome job in the world :D

IMG_3548-.jpg
orwa84
Dubai Expat Wannabe

orwa84 , looks awesome buddy. A few cups of turkish coffee and youll be dancing around like as if your on crack cocaine

speaking of coffee beans , research "green coffee beans". Its gonna be the next big thing. Get a source and distribute.
bossman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Dec 26, 2012
orwa84 , This was a really interesting read.
Jaij
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Jan 17, 2013
"I am not bragging, I am just clarifying that I am intelligent and educated. The fact I do not earn much in the moment does not reflect my potential. On the other hand, by dating a less educated female that has a comparable earning I'd be making a mistake, as she will never be mentally satisfying to me and I will just end up hurting her, which is why I actually abstain from that (see how rediculously good I am? I did hurt one before and I will never do it again)."

It's not about the women being spoiled anymore, its about you, sweetie. I wish you all the best. :)
ririfenty
Dubai Forum User

I guess what I was trying to explain is that "being on the same level" is not to be measured in "dirhams per month", if you get what I mean. It is more about the level of the mind.

Naturally you wouldn't expect a boxer and a poet to get along very well, do you? It's just that the mindset and the mental patterns dictated by these two jobs or roles are kind of different.

The same way, my logical discussions will only harrass someone who is not quite interested in understanding things very well, while I might seem a bit theoretical and miss on practical points.
orwa84
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Good luck, nonetheless. :)
ririfenty
Dubai Forum User

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Jan 18, 2013
Faint heart never won fair lady......
FF2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships Feb 06, 2013
waw ... amazing experience !! and BTW coffee is a performance enhancer so you know what to do boy ;)
Runaa
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Discussing Dubai's Readiness For Dating/Relationships May 15, 2013
What am i looking at?
SanaRabbani
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance