Will Egypt Follow Tunisia?

Topic locked
Will Egypt follow Tunisia? Jan 26, 2011
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/afric ... tml?hpt=C2

-- Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 am --

after following the news, and the Egyptian streets, I think today is a very critical day in Egypt, if the protesters continue and increased as what happened last night all over the country...

Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Will Egypt follow Tunisia? Jan 26, 2011
I have been watching the news. Seems Tunisia has started something that is spreading. It's having a domino effect for sure.

Listened to one of the govt officials spouting about how Egyptians enjoy freedom. I guess he missed the point that the people are making. It's not about lack of freedom, it's about the government, it's corruption, the poverty and much more. Unfortunately the Brotherhood is getting involved and that is never, ever going to help the cause. If Egptians think it is bad now, they can prepare themselves to lose the freedom they enjoy and everything else they are fighting for is be worse than it is at the present.

I hope they are successful in their fight, along with Tunisia, Yemen, Algeria, Lebanon, and every other country where the people want to move forward to improve their country and government. Governments all have an element of corruption, but Egypt is OTT.

May they continue their fight so that those who died have not died in vain.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Will Egypt Follow Tunisia? Jan 26, 2011
I didn't understand this part.. "If Egptians think it is bad now, they can prepare themselves to lose the freedom they enjoy and everything else they are fighting for is be worse than it is at the present..." and OTT!!!

but anyway the brotherhood has their agenda which I think most of Egyptians will not allow them to do, and Mubarak is the one who led the country to this situation, so he must whether do something or leave, whats happening now is destiny, and if its not now its later, there is no clue on whats after Muabark...an corruption and violence is protected by the government, and the normal citizen inside/outside Egypt is fed up and want a real change...

I wish they will continue their fight too....

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

It's not about lack of freedom, it's about the government, it's corruption, the poverty and much more.
Unfortunately the Brotherhood is getting involved and that is never, ever going to help the cause.

I'll tell you this, one of the aims of the allies is to stop a strong moral opposition against Mubarak to replace him democratically, he's been made to stay in power for the last 30 years by manipulated election results, so now instead of serving the interests of his people he serves the interests of the dominating powers.
Today if America stops backing mubarak with 3 billion $ of aid each year, he will be toppled within hours..
Unfortunatly majority of the egyptions are not fed on an established industry but by working as intelligence agent to goverment..So no wonder why they are corrupted and keep selling themselves to eachother..

And yes since there is no established opposition, I am baking muslim brotherhood in full support..That's a good start for a little change at least!
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Backing the Brotherhood?? Would be a big set back in many ways for the Egyptians.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It's high time that tyranny be obliterated.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

I disagree on backing Brotherhood, or any other group...
But I will go with building a strong governing system, control whoever in charge, Brotherhood or others...

and after all any system that have the support of the people is a legal good system...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Backing the Brotherhood? Would be a big set back in many ways for the Egyptians.

huh..How much do you think has been set forward since the death of Gamal Abdel Nasser?..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Yes, we can see how well Egypt has done under Mubarak. I'm sure the Egyptians who oppose what is going on at the moment feel that their dreams have been shattered thinking that Jamal isn't going to take the throne. Oh wait, wouldn't they be the upper class who have succeeded by being part of the inner circle???

I can hear the money shifting to another country.......
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I disagree on backing Brotherhood, or any other group...
But I will go with building a strong governing system, control whoever in charge, Brotherhood or others...

I system that has gone too far, allowing foreign interference in domestic politics will be very diffucult to remove, to rebuild the country. There would be a hell of a lot resistance while outside powers still continuing to manipulate.. I am affraid only an another stubborn political power(movement) can tackle the situation.. And I think in egypt it will be Brotherhood as there is noone else to confront this slave system...Anyone who comes to the power who is likes of mubarak will hardly change anything in the governing system, other than putting on a huge mask...
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

If the Brotherhood gets into power Egypt will fall under a strict Islamic government. Not to mention that more than likely the US will stop sending funds every year. Not that the money helped Egypt in the past as it went straight into the pockets of the corrupt government.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

the possibilities that brotherhood might come in power during this phase is none...

so it doesn't really worth thinking about it now... but what will be the reaction of Mubarak and his servers is whats worrying me... as i keep hearing news now about protesters grouping again in many cities and in the heart of Cairo...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

If the Brotherhood gets into power Egypt will fall under a strict Islamic government.

It's Americas fault..It's them that support single party authoritarianism! Aren't Americans meant to be the monuments of democracy?

Not to mention that more than likely the US will stop sending funds every year.

I hope they stop sending funds immediatly...That's no 1 reason behind all immoral corruption, in egypts case..

Not that the money helped Egypt in the past as it went straight into the pockets of the corrupt government.

To put it correctly, into the pockets of army of privileged guardians whose job is to protect and stay behind the system..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

the possibilities that brotherhood might come in power during this phase is none...

How do you know? It may lead to it eventually, since it is widely believed that President Mubarak, 81, is lining up his youngest son, Gamal, head of the NDP's powerful policy secretariat, to be his successor.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Berrin wrote:

How do you know? It may lead to it eventually, since it is widely believed that President Mubarak, 81, is lining up his youngest son, Gamal, head of the NDP's powerful policy secretariat, to be his successor.

I am Egyptian... So I can read the Egyptian street pretty well, I know the brotherhood has a lot of supporters, and they are even increasing by what the government is doing...

But recently in the past 4-5 years the new generation and a lot of Egyptians who didn't consider reading or following politics are on the scene now, and the demand for a good constitution and a fair chances for everyone is now number 1... and by the way Brotherhood aren't as bad as they reputed ( I am not supporting them for sure) ...

Taking about America, I doubt if anybody is sure about the future of America with its policies, so I don't think they will have as much weight on the middle east as before....

this is my point of view, could be wrong... just learning from discussions...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Berrin wrote:
If the Brotherhood gets into power Egypt will fall under a strict Islamic government.

It's Americas fault..It's them that support single party authoritarianism! Aren't Americans meant to be the monuments of democracy?

I hope they stop sending funds immediatly...That's no 1 reason behind all immoral corruption, in egypts case..

Not that the money helped Egypt in the past as it went straight into the pockets of the corrupt government.

To put it correctly, into the pockets of army of privileged guardians whose job is to protect and stay behind the system..

America's fault? Berrin, you jest?? Please tell me you jest!!! America gives Egypt money to serve it's own interests in the Middle East, Israel in this case, but does not get involved in the politics. Egypt tries to give the perception of a fair government, although tt's no secret to anyone that the government is one of the most corrupt. If the corrupt government did not fund itself with the US dollar, it would impact the people more than ever, or go elsewhere.

As Mahmoud said: it is the youth that are going to fight the fight. When your country is suffering, when you are suffering, it gives people plenty of time to talk and think, and rally.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Taking about America, I doubt if anybody is sure about the future of America with its policies, so I don't think they will have as much weight on the middle east as before....

I believe you can be wrong, their worst nightmare is a DEMOCRATICALLY elected religious movements!

Their reaction to the israeli prepared reports shows their true colors...You remember the investigations being carried out to report flotilla raid ...

well, This is what America could come up with, completly ignoring what Turks and UN was saying..

U.S. State Department spokesman Philip J. Crowley said on Monday that Washington had been "supportive of this effort by Israel, and there has been a – we think that this is an independent report, credible and impartial and transparent investigation that has been undertaken by Israel."
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-israel-s-gaza-flotilla-report-is-credible-and-impartial-1.339064?localLinksEnabled=false

-- Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:45 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:
Berrin wrote:

America's fault? Berrin, you jest?? Please tell me you jest!!! America gives Egypt money to serve it's own interests in the Middle East, Israel in this case, but does not get involved in the politics. Egypt tries to give the perception of a fair government, although tt's no secret to anyone that the government is one of the most corrupt. If the corrupt government did not fund itself with the US dollar, it would impact the people more than ever, or go elsewhere.

As Mahmoud said: it is the youth that are going to fight the fight. When your country is suffering, when you are suffering, it gives people plenty of time to talk and think, and rally.

Hey Madam, How can you give huge somes of your tax payers money and not get involved in their local politics..
If they didn't get involve in local politics, Mubarak couldn't stay in power...not for too long thats for sure...
This is what I found...

Egypt's peace treaty with Israel moved Cairo to "a state of isolation" experts noted in reference to an Arab boycott of Egypt after the Camp David accords.

"Egypt's regional influence will remain tied to what happens on the Palestinian-Israeli front, where the two-state solution - the basis of policy since Camp David, is near the end of the road," Shibley Telhami, a renowned professor at the University of Maryland, wrote in a recent article.

"What happens on that front will inevitably be central to the triangular Egyptian-Israeli-American relationship that resulted from the Egyptian-Israeli peace treaty 30 years ago," he added.

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/egypt/3 ... ds-1.59404

Can't you see that Americans and Israelies purchased the souls of Egyptions in return for aid!..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/afric ... tml?hpt=T2

"Protesters had been expressing their anger over the rising cost of living, failed economic policies and corruption, but all those concerns were distilled into one overriding demand: the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak, in power for three decades.

The outpouring included young and old, Christians and Muslims, students, workers and businesspeople.
"We breathe corruption in the air," said one demonstrator, who along with others said their children have no future."

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud04 wrote:When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right...

:cheers:

-- Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 pm --

Berrin, does the words "Suez Canal" come to mind??? which is under control of the Egyptian government???
Pay as you go...............
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Dear Madam, do you know its history?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal_Authority
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

well, its not time for me to talk about Egypt resources.... but in general the country is full of resources and quite reach... but the government is stealing most of it.... some and not all...
1- Suez Canal, billions a year ( its like SALIK, no investment, its like a toll gate)
2- Tourism, again money from nothing as we didn't invest in building the pyramids or the weather or other stuff
3- Sweet water, river Nile
4- Mud ready for any agriculture
5- Electricity from the high dam
6- OIL
7- Water resources
8- 80 millions hands and brains

so I have no doubt that a good government can make a great country out of half that...

by the way all the above resources and we didn't take about industry yet...

back to news again...

-- Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:11 pm --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWr6MypZ-JU#t=1m20s
watch this guy of yesterday.... at 1.23 ....
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Will Egypt Follow Tunisia? Jan 27, 2011
I see on the news that hundreds have been arrested in protests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12289475

I hope that it remains relatively peaceful - fascinating to see how this story unfolds.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Not just how it unfolds, but how it is spreading. In Egypt I believe it is 7 dead and about 860 arrested.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Will Yemen follow Egypt? Jan 27, 2011
Well why not? it appears to be a rather fashionable pastime of late

:lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12295864
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon, do you ever take the time to think about the freedoms your home country affords you?

All governments are corrupt, but not to the extent of the governments that are being toppled.

BTW, I divorced you yesterday. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Will Egypt follow Tunisia? Jan 27, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:Dillon, do you ever take the time to think about the freedoms your home country affords you?

Often, that's one of the reasons I'm still here in Dubai!

Bora Bora wrote:BTW, I divorced you yesterday. :wink:

What do you mean you divorced me yesterday? you can't just do that! cast aside just like that!?! I feel used and soiled

:?
Dillon

You a funny wabbit!!! :albino:

Would it help if we got married again??? :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sorry! Once bitten twice shy, your window of opportunity has closed for good, I'm looking for less volatile relationships in my advancing Years.

:lol:
Dillon

Berrin wrote:

I read somewhere that the entire family has already left for UK.

If only Egypt had beaten Algeria and qualified for the WC none of this would've happened.

But in all honesty I have serious reservations that democracy will do any good for Egypt. if anything history has proven that should an overthrow of the regime be accomplished, it will set Egypt back a good 30-40 years before normalcy can prevail. What is needed is a way to put honest representative of the public onto the elite ruling panel for at-least a good few years before Democracy as we expect it can prevail. Such overthrowing of governments will only pave the way for foreign interference and increased corruption, which lets face-it is something the Egyptians are notorious for.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk