The Other Extreme Of Free Speech. Must See This Photo!!!

Topic locked
Re: The Other Extreme of Free Speech. Must See this Photo!!! Oct 25, 2010
shafique wrote:doesn't change the fact that this Jewish organisation accused Gibson of being anti-Semitic for portraying accurately in his film what is in the Bible.

Let me know how this connects to the actual discussion:

shafique wrote:^And it all seems to have stemmed from producing a film that was faithful to the New Testament account of Jesus' life, trial and crucifixion.

He seems to be a believer in the Bible and yet I suspect that many Christians think Mel 'evil' as you say.

Seems pretty obvious...

Mel's reputation suffered after his tirade against Jews was distributed after a drunk Mel Gibson was pulled over by an officer.

He hurt his reputation for his rant against Jews, not for his film of the Passion.

He later (recently) had his phone conversations published where he (I believe) used racial slurs against blacks and made very derogatory comments about his wife/girlfriend at the time - which some extended to all women, so he was in hot water a second time for racist and s.exist comments.

Between the first incident (antisemitic outburst) and the second incident (racist and s.exist comments), Mel still worked in Hollywood and starred in a movie or two.

It was after the second incident where people were less willing to forgive him that he was dropped from Hangover 2.

Mel's career and reputation suffered, but his movie, The Passion, had nothing to do with either his career or reputation suffering.

You simply, once again, have no clue as to what you're talking about.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Other Extreme Of Free Speech. Must See This Photo!!! Oct 26, 2010
Why are you avoiding the question.

Facts are clear:
1. Some Jewish groups called Mel anti-Semitic because of his film - hence the start of the campaign against him.
2. The campaign gathered pace over time - some believed the ADL smears early on, some later on.

So - I still come back to the questions posed to you about the film (which you say had no effect on his reputation, despite the Jewish groups etc condemning it and Mel as anti-semitic ).

You seem to be distancing yourself for the accusations of Anti-Semitism levelled at Mel for his film which showed what the Bible says happened.

Does that mean you agree that the film's portrayal of Jesus' trial etc does not make Mel an anti-Semite?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Other Extreme of Free Speech. Must See this Photo!!! Oct 26, 2010
Why are you avoiding the question.

I addressed your belief that Mel's career was hurt after and as a result of 'The Passion'.

You have changed the subject and claim I'm avoiding your new questions rather than sticking to your original comments I am addressing.

2. The campaign gathered pace over time - some believed the ADL smears early on, some later on.

Really?

Care to explain that one to me?

How is Mel's drunk driving incident and what he said a reflection of the ADL?

So, you're basically saying that without the ADL, Mel's comments about the Jews wouldn't have been an issue for him?

What about the fact that he was still in the movie business until his latest PR disaster when he used the N-word (I think)?

Was that the ADL or are you just throwing some weird theories out there in the hopes someone will take you seriously?

You seem to be distancing yourself for the accusations of Anti-Semitism levelled at Mel for his film which showed what the Bible says happened.

I don't know what that means, but I'm not supposed to.

Your beliefs aren't grounded in what actually takes place (what someone writes on a message board) but in the fantasies in your head.
Does that mean you agree that the film's portrayal of Jesus' trial etc does not make Mel an anti-Semite?

Regardless of what I think, I am saying that most Americans, including Roger Ebert, whose views are a barometer for what most Americans think, did not view Mel Gibson's film as being antisemitic nor have I seen any actual evidence that Mel's career was hurt by the film - in fact, the film raked in hundreds of millions of dollars.

You're just on loon fantasies, as usual, and have a poor ability to remain consistent in either what you said in the past or correctly responding to what someone says to you.

As usual, nothing new under the sun.
event horizon

Fascinating avoidance.

How many straw men do you have to construct to try and avoid answering the question about whether you agree with Mel that his film accurately shows what was in the Bible.

I stated that the campaign against Mel started with the film - and you don't disagree that the ADL etc launched their campaign against him at that stage. The strawman that the campaign grew stronger later on, does not change this fact.

So - why squirm when asked whether you agree with Mel that his film was accurate? Are you ashamed?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I can't answer your question because I haven't actually *seen* the film.

The strawman that the campaign grew stronger later on, does not change this fact.

You mean how Loonwatch/CAIR and other shake down organizations will make a claim that there is Islamophobia (and we should all better believe the official lines regarding Islam, or else) in America and then use an isolated act of minor vandalism as proof of their original claim?

Didn't they try that against Robert Spencer and Pam Geller?

Now, be honest, you know they did.
event horizon

Nice attempt again at evasion.

I guess you would have denied Jesus 4 times before the rooster crows! ;)

But hey, if you are embarrassed to state whether you agree with Mel that the Bible's literal accounts of Jesus' trial etc aren't anti-Semitic and want to play the 'but I haven't seen the film' card - so be it.

I guess being true to your Israeli pals trumps being true to a fellow Christian. Fascinating that.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Yes, I can't comment on the film because I haven't seen it but you think I'm avoiding answering your question because I don't have an opinion of a movie that I have yet to see.

That's some pretty funny stuff.

I don't ask you to give your opinion on topics you know nothing about - the US constitution, the Bible, Church history, English history, American politics and current events.

Perhaps this explains your habit of pontificating on various issues before you managed to gain the basic threshold of knowledge most would expect one should have prior to their discussion of a certain topic?
event horizon

You must really be embarrassed that you're putting loyalty to Israel above a fellow Christian who believes in the Biblical account of Jesus' trial.

Sigh.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk