The Jews Of Laristan ~

Topic locked
The Jews of Laristan ~ Mar 08, 2011
After the great victory of Kourosh Bozorg, known as Cyrus the Great, king of Persia against the Babylonians, the Jews -as a result- were liberated from the captivity and were given the freedom to go back to Jerusalem. Kourosh did not favor the Jews in particular, rather he was just to all nations as he have set the first human right law in history, that included freedom of faith, language, etc. However, a significant number of Jews chose to stay/reside in Iraq & Persia.

Eventualy, Judiasm found itself a place in Persia and Jews had their presence in different cities/towns, interacting with the local Persians and their culture. One of the regions that had a significant Jewish population was Laristan, a county located to south of Shiraz. Before the arrival of Islam, Laristan was like other Persian cities adhering Zoroastrianism, in addition to the presence of Judiasm.In fact Laristan was an important center of hebraic learning. A number of Jewish manuscripts were written in Laristan and it eventually found it way to the Vatican via a Florentine traveller in the 16th century.

During the Sunni period of Iran, the Jews enjoyed freedom of faith and were untouched. Along with Zoroastrianism, they were only expected to pay the Jizya, an small amount of tax (less than the Islamic annual Zakat), which in return they benefit by being protected by the Muslims in case of any war with outsiders.

The Jews tragedy started when the Safavid dynasty appeared and declared Shiasm as the kingdom's new faith instead of Sunni Islam. Shah Ismail Safavi started his arranged attacks and massacred against the Sunni Persians who resembled the vast majority of Persia's population and slaughtered them causing a horrible chaos. The attacks also extended towards the Zoroastrians and Jews of Iran. He gave people the option of converting to Shiam or death. Particularly, the attacks on Jews started from Lar, when the Rabbai of Lar chose to convert to Shiasm and called himself "Abul Hasan Lari" after having a number of disagreements with his own Jewish fellows. It began when Abul Hasan Lari in Lar wanted to monopolise the official function of ritual sluaghterer and distributor of slaughtered meat which means that the other Jews won't be able to inspect the meat if its kosher or not. When they refused to buy meat from him and he felt isolated, he chose to convert to Shiasm and urged the Shia clergy at the Safavid court to declare a fatwa against the Jews to discriminate them. Ever since that fatwa, the discrimination extended to all Jews in Persia and in addition to the Safavids schedule, it was also time for Jews to be treated like Sunnis, either convert or die.

Discrimination policies were set for all Sunnis (majority), Zoroastrians & Jews (significant minorities), in terms of special customs to wear, double taxes, intolerance of religious practice, public insults, random attacks, boycotting, etc.

Sunnis were the most affected as thousands of clerics were thrown from top of Minarets in front of people, and many Mosques were destroyed that even the portugese ambassador mentioned in his notes that the Safavids were building churches for the Armenians while destroyin the local Persian mosques. The Jews as well, got their Kanisa (houses of whorship) destroyed and a number pretended to convert to Shiasm while kept on practicing Jedaisum in secret.On the other hand, others converted to Shiasm for having no other choice, and a number of them chose Sunni Islam but kept it in secret.

Jews kept on suffering until the Safavid dynasty lost control. They gained back a proper life with big relief when Nader Shah ruled Persia. Although he was raised as a Shia, but he declared Sunnism again in an attempt to revive Sunnism in Iran. The remainenat of Sunni, Jews, and Zoroastrians supported Nader Shah as he was very tolerant and understanding, but the Shia clergy stood against him and eventually he failed to maintain his plan.

Many of the Jews in Lar who refused to convert to Shiasm moved to Jahrom, and Shiraz in the 19th century. Eventualy many left Iran to the West, and a number have immigrated to Israel. Most probably carrying the family name of Lari/Larri/Larry.

The last record of Jews in Lar dates back to the year of 1907, with a population of 70 Jews only.

Personally, I trace back my own roots to Laristan region, and localy we say "Chud" (also "Kalimi) for "Jew".
A number of Jewish cemateries and ruins of some Kanis are still found in the region. Majority of local Persians in the GCC are mainly from Laristan region, mainly Sunnis, and a number of us do track Jewish roots of those who volunteerly converted. I'd rather not mention their family names, but some of them are quite well known =)

I feel so sorry for all this tragedy, and I hold huge anger towards the Safavids whom I accuse for being the ones to start the destruction of Persia that started since their ruling period (16th century), and till today's situation as its a continuation of the Safavid ideology that is based on enforcing Shiasm faith & teaching on people.

((I dedicate this article to all of my Laristani community residing in different parts of the world)).

symmetric
BANNED

Re: The Jews Of Laristan ~ Mar 08, 2011
An excellent write up Sym, very informative. 8)

Just don't let the Israelis read this. They already lay claim to land from the Nile to the Ehuprates now they will extend it till the Karun !!!
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Jews of Laristan ~ Mar 09, 2011
That was a very interesting read Sym, you really seem to know a lot about your history.
What are main differences between the sunnis and the shia Muslims?

It was nice to see that you didn't disrespect the Jews in your post, I liked that :D

BTW Sym, I do like your new avatar! You should make it your Facebook picture! :wink:
I'm not allowed an avatar after my Isreali flag :cry:

It was a shame that DDS had to spoil it with his crack about the Isrealis :roll:
Bethsmum

Re: The Jews Of Laristan ~ Mar 09, 2011
desertdudeshj wrote:An excellent write up Sym, very informative. 8)

Just don't let the Israelis read this. They already lay claim to land from the Nile to the Ehuprates now they will extend it till the Karun !!!

Thanks DDS, glad you liked it. As for Karun river, it shall always be safe ;)

-- Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am --

Bethsmum wrote:That was a very interesting read Sym, you really seem to know a lot about your history.
What are main differences between the sunnis and the shia Muslims?

It was nice to see that you didn't disrespect the Jews in your post, I liked that :D

BTW Sym, I do like your new avatar! You should make it your Facebook picture! :wink:
I'm not allowed an avatar after my Isreali flag :cry:

It was a shame that DDS had to spoil it with his crack about the Isrealis :roll:

I like history, and I want to end my career life as a history lecturer :D
I don't disrespect jews because they're jews, that's ridiculious! Freedom of faith is a basic right for all people, but that doesn't justify the conflict in the Middle East as I have a different opinion for that. ;)

Your question about Sunni and Shia is very big, and to maintain the objectivity of the topic, let's just say that Sunni period of Iran that lasted for almost 900 years was the golden era of Persia with no doubts. It was the time when scientists appeared and contributed the most, art/music/literature reached its highest peak, different religions with both conservative and liberal people co-existed peacfuly. Where as when Shiasm arrived, that is when Persia lost its thunder and started to collapse in all terms, aggresive Shia dynasties and regimes that caused dramatic damage to Iran and neigbhouring countries, science and art all faded with exception to personal efforts.

Even today, Shia regime ruling Iran is backboning the Shia party of Hizballah in Lebanon, causing unstability in the region in cooperation with the Shia regime in Syria that facilitates weapon transfering to Hizballah :shock:
The Shia ideology is trying so hard to expand, and ironically the Iranian people themselves are the main victims.

Anyways, back to our subject - -
So yea there might be some Jewish traces in my DNA, if so then it'll be the best explanation for my big nose :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

Re: The Jews of Laristan ~ Mar 09, 2011
Thanks for the explanation Sym. I wouldn't be surprised to hear you had some Jewish DNA. There are a lot of similarities between Jews and Muslims.

Please carry on with your history lessons, I could be with some more knowledge on Muslims Sym.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk