Somalia - Progress From Within

Topic locked
Somalia - Progress from within Sep 11, 2012
Some positive news out of Africa.

The political progress in Somalia is promising - the latest is that they have held elections and elected a new President, and with the incumbent immediately accepting the decision (a small step, but significant in terms of African politics).

Somalia is far from a functioning state right now, but it is also not the failed state in recent times.

It is worthwhile to note that the progress being made towards a functioning state is home-grown. I feel this is the best bet for a lasting solution - but still early days yet.

I knew a few Somali immigrants in the UK, but I've spent time in Kenya and South Africa recently, and both have largish communities of Somalis who have moved their in recent years because of the troubles. In both places they have a reputation of being hard-working entrepreneurs, mainly setting up small businesses servicing the poorer communities - but also a few coming in with 'suitcases of money' and driving up house prices in some neighbourhoods. It is interesting to see both grudging admiration of the recent immigrants, but also some opposition to their success. For instance in the townships in Kenya, the Somali shops in the shanty towns have the reputation for being open all the time and fully stocked with goods - vs 'Kenyan' shopkeepers who don't provide as much service.

(And the view of the locals is that the Somalis are prudent, sleep many to a room, don't spend much, keep to themselves etc... all familiar complaints against immigrants the world over, I thought. ;) )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19540325

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk