Put The Blame On The Private Sector.......

Topic locked
Re: Put the blame on the private sector....... Nov 23, 2011
Nucleus wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:The private sector is asking the same of locals as they do expats. Equal salary, qualified as expatriates and - here it comes - work long hours!

Equal qualification I agree, but equal salary I don't exactly agree. The reason is total cost of hiring a local is cheaper than hiring a foreigner even if they pay them higher salary, like say 5,000 dhs more (depends on the job though). But managers don't see, this shows the competence of average manager here.

But locals have to build aptitude (which is there for most, most locals have very good education but sure it can have more improvement... the more the better) and jobs rather asking for jobs. Forcing -- I don't see that as a solution that will work: "you can take a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink."

Equal salary meaning same pay scale. Keep in mind that expats incur additional costs that locals don't have to experience. Expats have no choice when it comes to schooling their children and must pay for it, which can take a big chunk out of the monthly salary. Whereas government schools are for locals only at no cost, or at very low cost. Locals pay a fraction of what an expat pays for utilities. Locals don't incur expenses for visas. I'm sure there are differences in tuition when it comes to university, locals paying a lower rate. Locals don't need an annual ticket. There are companies that hire expats as a local resident therefore less benefits.

Having a good education and applying it are 2 different things. You learn to apply your education by starting at a lower level and working your way up. You can't take up a position as a manager, or a director, or a CEO straight out of university without any work experience and at those levels you are not getting paid to learn on the job, but apply previous work experience and work knowledge.

There is absolutely no logic to this statement or justification.

The reason is total cost of hiring a local is cheaper than hiring a foreigner even if they pay them higher salary, like say 5,000 dhs more (depends on the job though). But managers don't see, this shows the competence of average manager here.

You do know that there are expat local hires where there may be no recruitment fees involved (individual sent in a resume, individual was referred, individual was approached by company)? Local expat hires through an agency would cause the company to incur a fee as they were "purchasing" qualified, experienced, educated people, which would justify the expense.

A company should not justify paying someone more who doesn't meet the criteria for the position. Well, they could, but it has an impact on productivity when people in the firm come to learn about it (which happens) and then it affects the morale of the staff.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk