Plan For Mosque Near World Trade Center Site Moves Ahead

Topic locked
Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead May 27, 2010
EH will not be happy....

The 13-story mosque and Islamic cultural center was unanimously endorsed by the 12-member Community Board 1's financial district committee.

The $100 million project, called the Cordoba House, is proposed for the old Burlington Coat Factory building at Park Place and Broadway, just two blocks from the World Trade Center site.

"I think it will be a wonderful asset to the community," said committee Chairman Ro Sheffe.

Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf, who helped found the Cordoba Initiative following the 9/11 attacks, said the project is intended to foster better relations between the West and Muslims.

He said the glass-and-steel building would include a 500-seat performing arts venue, a swimming pool and a basketball court. "There's nothing like it," said Rauf, adding that facilities will be open to all New Yorkers.

Daisy Khan, executive director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement and Cordoba Initiative board member, said the project has received little opposition.

"Whatever concerns anybody has, we have to make sure to educate them that we are an asset to the community," Khan said.

Khan said her group hopes construction on the project will begin by the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... z0p6VOQ58L

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead May 28, 2010
Daisy Khan?????

Come on now, that has to be a p*ss take!

I wonder if they will paint a big target on the roof?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Plan For Mosque Near World Trade Center Site Moves Ahead May 28, 2010
Yeah - I did a double take and found myself with an image of Daisy from Dukes of Hazzard!!

A quick Google shows though she's for real and confounds eh's image of Muslim women:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... aisy_khan/
Daisy KhanKhan is Executive Director of American Society for Muslim Advancement. Wife of Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, Khan mentors young Muslims various modern era challenges.

As for it being used for target practice - well, no shortage of terrorists in the US - but I guess with it being a couple of blocks away from Ground Zero, there may be some chance that security may deter some of the nutters out there. However, never underestimate the stupidity of numpties - esp that side of the pond! ;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Plan For Mosque Near World Trade Center Site Moves Ahead May 28, 2010
I just wonder why the mosque isn't going to be higher than World Trade Centre Twins were.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead May 28, 2010
I'll give you very very islamic answers..Choose your best bet amongst...

"Thus have We made of you an Ummah, Justly balanced, that you might be witnesses over the nations. "
Quran (2: 143)

"Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly,But hold a just balance between
those extremes….." (25: 67)

"……..neither speak your prayer aloud, nor speak it in a low tone, but seek a middle course between."
(17:110)

And swell not your cheek (for pride) at men, nor walk in insolence through the earth; for Allah loves not the arrogant boaster. And be moderate in your pace, and lower your voice; for the harshest of sounds without doubt is the braying of the ass." (31: 18-19)

"O you who believe! Make not unlawful the good things which Allah has made lawful for you, but Commit no excess: for Allah loves not those given to excess." (5: 87)

http://www.islam101.com/dawah/islamEasyWay.htm
http://www.prophetmuhammadleadership.or ... ad%20(PBUH)%20the%20moderate.htm

-- Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 am --

There must be auto correction here...
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk