UN Panel On Flotilla

Topic locked
UN panel on Flotilla May 14, 2011
As the Flotilla incident has been discussed in great detail here, I thought this follow-up would be interesting. Many DF-ers went mental because of the claim that what Israel did could be within international law. I am not an expert on international law, but I have read different opinions, warranting a viable adult discussion on the legality. Considering international law, I have two profound notions:
-A country will do everything to protect its existence. This principle goes above international law.
-The UN is not an independent international institute, its a collection of international politic interests.

That said it seems that the draft proposal of the UN panel favors the opinion that Israels action were within international law, or maybe not...

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=un-probe-to-flotilla-attack-faces-deadlock-2011-05-12

(...)the draft wording, which falls short of saying Israel violated international law in the raid last year.
(...)
The panel seems to be operating from the premise that Israel’s maritime blockade on Gaza does not breach international law, the Daily News has learned from diplomatic sources.
(...)
There is ongoing debate in the international arena on whether Israel’s blockade is lawful and the issue remains one of the most controversial dimensions of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The first draft does, however, accuse Israel of resorting to excessive use of violence that led to the death of the nine Turkish nationals. It asks Israel to pay compensation, one of the two conditions Turkey demanded be fulfilled to normalize ties with Israel.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: UN panel on Flotilla May 14, 2011
And what has israelies actions got to do with the objectives of Flotilla aid...Searching and rooting flotilla aid safely is one thing and attacking it without justifiable reason is another thing...

We do really see who the mischiefers are...don't we?..

And if Allah had not checked one set of people by means of another the earth would indeed be full of mischief but Allah is full of bounty to all the worlds.Q2:251

And why should you not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who being weak are ill-treated (and oppressed)? Men women and children whose cry is: "Our Lord! rescue us from this town whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from Thee one who will protect; and raise for us from Thee one who will help!"Q4:75

Fighting is prescribed for you and you dislike it. But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows and you know not.Q2:216.

O you who believe! If you will aid (the cause of) Allah He will aid you and plant your feet firmly.Q47:7
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Interesting. I still see it as a sad loss of life for no reason. The raid and killing was unnecessary wasn't it?
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

DearJohn wrote:The raid and killing was unnecessary wasn't it?

It certainly could be prevented. No doubt about it.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk