Obama Starts Massive US Air-Sea-Marine Build-up

Topic locked
Obama starts massive US Air-Sea-Marine build-up May 21, 2010
And slowly but surely the forces are increased below the public radar. Everything is ok fooks, back to sleep. ;)

DEBKAfile's military sources report a decision by the Obama administration to boost US military strength in the Mediterranean and Persian Gulf regions in the short term with an extra air and naval strike forces and 6,000 Marine and sea combatants. Carrier Strike Group 10, headed by the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier, sails out of the US Navy base at Norfolk, Virginia Friday, May 21. On arrival, it will raise the number of US carriers off Iranian shores to two. Up until now, President Barack Obama kept just one aircraft carrier stationed off the coast of Iran, the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in the Arabian Sea, in pursuit of his policy of diplomatic engagement with Tehran.

For the first time, too, the US force opposite Iran will be joined by a German warship, the frigate FGS Hessen, operating under American command.

It is also the first time that Obama, since taking office 14 months ago, is sending military reinforcements to the Persian Gulf. Our military sources have learned that the USS Truman is just the first element of the new buildup of US resources around Iran. It will take place over the next three months, reaching peak level in late July and early August. By then, the Pentagon plans to have at least 4 or 5 US aircraft carriers visible from Iranian shores.

The USS Truman's accompanying Strike Group includes Carrier Air Wing Three (Battle Axe) - which has 7 squadrons - 4 of F/A-18 Super Hornet and F/A-18 Hornet bomber jets, as well as spy planes and early warning E-2 Hawkeyes that can operate in all weather conditions; the Electronic Attack Squadron 130 for disrupting enemy radar systems; and Squadron 7 of helicopters for anti-submarine combat (In its big naval exercise last week, Iran exhibited the Velayat 89 long-range missile for striking US aircraft carriers and Israel warships from Iranian submarines.)

Another four US warships will be making their way to the region to join the USS Truman and its Strike Group. They are the guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy and guided missile destroyers USS Winston S. Churchill, USS Oscar Austin and USS Ross.

DEBKAfile's military sources disclose that the 6,000 Marines and sailors aboard the Truman Strike Group come from four months of extensive and thorough training to prepare them for anticipated missions in the Persian Gulf and the Mediterranean.

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Obama starts massive US Air-Sea-Marine build-up May 21, 2010
Nothing but a little saber rattling.
desertdudeshj

Re: Obama Starts Massive US Air-Sea-Marine Build-up May 21, 2010
Imagine Russia, say, sending a ship with missiles on it towards a Caribbean island, say the one with Guantanamo Bay on it, for some friendly exercises. Nah - that wouldn't cause anyone any concern would it? ;)

Might is right.

When China starts throwing it's military weight around, then it will get interesting. Give it another few years, I say. In the meantime, Dubai doesn't seem like such a great place to be all of a sudden! :shock:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Obama starts massive US Air-Sea-Marine build-up May 21, 2010
Are you kidding me? Those yankee sailors throw some awesome partieeees during their Jebel Ali leafs! :lol:

The more the merrier.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Obama Starts Massive US Air-Sea-Marine Build-up May 21, 2010
Perhaps they're preparing to welcome the new Miss USA - she is Arab American y'now! ;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Obama starts massive US Air-Sea-Marine build-up May 22, 2010
Thats another 6000 punters wandering around the malls of Dubai in groups of three for protection in standard issue check shirts, jeans and trainers. The retailers cannot wait!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

^They do stick out don't they? The hair cuts are a giveaway as well.

I always have this malicious urge to go up to some of them and ask them whether they come from Texas.

Why?

Because then I could think about saying:
"Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down."
:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You should ask one of them to show you the standard issue briefing document they are given before going on shore leave...its hilarious!

The do's and don'ts of Dubai according to the US Navy.

I will endeavour to get hold of a copy and post it here for everyone's amusement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Those guys can be extremely nervous.

* me texting somebody about an appointment later that evening *

navy guy: what are you doing?
me: texting somebody...
navy guy: why?
me: going to a restaurant later this evening
navy guy: who, who are you texting?
me: something to a friend
navy guy: yes but what
me: another appointment later this evening
navy guy: where?

He became more quite and relaxed after one beer, they always do. :D
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Obama Starts Massive US Air-Sea-Marine Build-up May 22, 2010
Oh we use to have some real fun with the USO they loved going out to the desert.

Once this chick from one of the ships was sand sking down from what is now know as Big Red ( Big Red Dune on the side of the road on the way to hatta ) She skied about 5 mtrs and rolled down in a ball of sand all the way down at good speed rest of the way.

We all thought for sure she must have hurt herself and ran for her. She just got up dusted off the sand and said SH!T I've got sand in my ass now. WHOOHOOO, lets do that again !!! :shock:

Tough biatches those navy chicks !

:D
desertdudeshj

Re: Obama starts massive US Air-Sea-Marine build-up May 25, 2010
Dubai Knight wrote:You should ask one of them to show you the standard issue briefing document they are given before going on shore leave...its hilarious!

The do's and don'ts of Dubai according to the US Navy.

I will endeavour to get hold of a copy and post it here for everyone's amusement.

I presume it tells the Marines that not everyone with a beard and who doesn't look completely white is an 'Arab Terrorist'? They should consider giving the instructions to their reservists in the States: ;)

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/11/10/res ... ks-priest/

Marine reservist chases, assaults Greek Orthodox priest whom he mistook for an Arab terrorist.

Alexios Marakis, a Greek Orthodox priest visiting the U.S., got lost in Tampa and tried to stop and ask directions from Marine reservist Jasen D. Bruce. But instead of offering help, “Bruce struck the priest on the head with a tire iron.” The reservist believed Marakis, who spoke limited English, was an Arab terrorist. Bruce chased the priest for three blocks, “and even called 911 to say that an Arabic man tried to rob him.” According to a news release:

“During the chase, the suspect called 911 and claimed an Arabic male attempted to rob him and he was going to take him into custody,” a Tampa Police Department news release states. “When officers arrived, the suspect claimed the man was a terrorist.”

Police arrested Bruce for “aggravated battery with a deadly weapon” and are investigating whether he committed a hate crime.

:shock:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Obama Starts Massive US Air-Sea-Marine Build-up May 25, 2010
You see Shaffy, religion is to blame. Always religion involved. :D
RobbyG

Yeah, those Greek Orthodox priests on Holiday in Florida - gotta keep an eye on them! ;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

RobbyG

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk