An Islamic History Of Europe

Topic locked
An Islamic History Of Europe Jan 25, 2010
This documentary from the BBC is a one that must be watched, because it’s not only very informative and enlighten, but also a one that will definitely challenge your knowledge of history and those history lessons that you took at school, and I mean Western schools and universities in particular, because I went there and never heard of such thing.

To those whom think Islam is a religion that cannot tolerates other religions, like Judaism, Christianity etc. Or whom think Islam is a religion that is anti- civilization and science – this documentary is your answer.

http://www.documentary-log.com/d429-an- ... of-europe/

Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: An Islamic History Of Europe Jan 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure this has been posted before. Too bad I don't have volume, what's the documentary about ???
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It’s 90-minute documentary, Rageh Omaar uncovers the hidden story of Europe's Islamic past and looks back to a golden age when European civilisation was enriched by Islamic learning.
Rageh travels across medieval Muslim Europe to reveal the vibrant civilisation that Muslims brought to the West.
This evocative film brings to life a time when emirs and caliphs dominated Spain and Sicily and Islamic scholarship swept into the major cities of Europe.
His journey reveals the debt owed to Islam for its vital contribution to the European Renaissance.
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Excellent
event horizon

Also check out the BBC's secret scientists

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/docum ... ists.shtml
desertdudeshj

Re: An Islamic History Of Europe Jan 27, 2010
When looking back at Islam’s history and Muslim scholars you clearly see a major difference in regard to science and architecture, and you can’t help it but to admire those Muslim scholars who contributed to the establishment of science and civilization.

Not a long ago I was in a large book shop in Qatar looking for a good Arabic book, and to me disappointment couldn’t find a one that worth reading.

I’ve been trying to understand what really went wrong with the Muslim world. Why/how did they abandon their ancestors’ success stories in science, and unity etc etc :?:
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Listen to part three for an answer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/docum ... ist3.shtml

Thanks mate, I'll definitely listen to it :)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

I’ve been trying to understand what really went wrong with the Muslim world. Why/how did they abandon their ancestors’ success stories in science, and unity etc etc

I also try to understand why? If you find any literature, thesis or research in this matter, let us know, I am interested to read…In the early history of Islam madrasahs played important role in development of society since science, literature and theology were fundamental parts of education. I don’t understand why, where and how erosion and decay started..

Maybe their advancement of the time led them also to discover worldly selfish pleasures such as haughtiness, arrogance and pride, leaving them to abandon all the good qualities theology brought into their lives.

I look at the status of the Arab world today. For instance, I can sort of understand if they cannot run giant factories in the middle of the deserts, but at least they can certainly establish giant universities, research centres’ and compounds for science.., they must have enough money from oil to do this. There are millions of people dying from all sorts of diseases and environmental problems etc.. At least they can break the monopoly of the certain industries in the west…Why don’t they try to obtain knowledge and sell it, if they can not do anything else. God in Quran puts strong emphasise on obtaining knowledge to serve mankind, and does promise to give that knowledge to everyone who have belief in him and wishes to have it.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Berrin wrote:
I’ve been trying to understand what really went wrong with the Muslim world. Why/how did they abandon their ancestors’ success stories in science, and unity etc etc

I also try to understand why? If you find any literature, thesis or research in this matter, let us know, I am interested to read…In the early history of Islam madrasahs played important role in development of society since science, literature and theology were fundamental parts of education. I don’t understand why, where and how erosion and decay started..

Again listen to part 3 of the BBC documentry
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk