Hidden Art Of Islam - BBC Documentary

Topic locked
Hidden Art of Islam - BBC Documentary Mar 17, 2012
I just finished watching an interesting documentary on art in the Islamic world.

It centres on a recent exhibition at the British Museum, but also looks at art in the Islamic world, past and present. A small segment on Shia art is in there as well. It's been uploaded to youtube in the past hour - but so far only the first 2 parts, with the other 2 soon to be uploaded, I expect:

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Hidden Art Of Islam - BBC Documentary Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for posting shaf. Watched the first few minutes of the first episode and it does look promising. You know I have an interest in certain era's of Islamic history, especially the ottoman period, and most certainly have an apprecation for Islamic art, especially kaligraphy. Will continue watching later on...
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Hidden Art Of Islam - BBC Documentary Mar 17, 2012
I thought it might interest you - as we have discussed portraiture in Shia Islam before (and it is covered there).

Interestingly, the Imams and professors interviewed were all of the opinion that Islam does allow art and the painting/depiction of humans and other creations.. but the main interest of the documentary is the art itself.

The art in the architecture of Isfahan is stunning, which I'd like to visit some day. As is the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul which I have been to- which is very, very impressive (especially the Harem section). Both are featured in this.

Some of the modern pieces towards the middle and end are quite impressive to me.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk