Hang Gays: Newspaper Headline

Topic locked
Hang Gays: Newspaper Headline Oct 27, 2010
A newspaper in Uganda calls for the hanging of Gays after it publishes a list of 100 'top' gays in the country, along with photos. AP reports that following the publication a week ago, at least 4 have been attacked.

This follows an attempt at passing a law against Gays (including the death penalty for some gay acts) that was inspired by US missionaries who preach that therapy can make gays straight :shock:

A lawmaker in this conservative African country introduced a bill a year ago that would have imposed the death penalty for some homosexual acts and life in prison for others. An international uproar ensued, and the bill was quietly shelved.

But gays in Uganda say they have faced a year of harassment and attacks since the bill's introduction.

The legislation was drawn up following a visit by leaders of U.S. conservative Christian ministries that promote therapy they say allows gays to become heterosexual.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03438.html

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Hang Gays: Newspaper Headline Oct 27, 2010
Uganda should fit right in with the half dozen or so Muslim nations (plus Nigeria) where homosexuality is punishable with death - and dozens of other Muslim nations where actively enforced laws criminalize homosexuality and persecute homosexuals.

http://current.com/entertainment/wtf/89 ... enalty.htm

(It's actually probably higher than seven - Iraq and Afghanistan along with the Maldives and Pakistan weren't included in the list)

And one needn't travel to the sticks to find Ugandans calling for the death of gays.

Prominent religious leaders in the UK have recently openly expressed their desire for the killing of homosexuals - all based on their religion!:

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2006/10/its-o ... -imam.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 641082.ece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hate.html
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I have to say, I have some sympathy for this particular 'what aboutery' argument.

The US Christian missionaries stirring things in Uganda are indeed the equivalent of the Wahabbi extremists stirring things amongst other Muslim countries.

Still, I'm a little bit disapointed (but not surprised) that instead of condemning your Christian countrymen and Ugandan Christians, your first reaction is to point the finger at extremists in other religions.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Who's condemning Islamic practices?

Don't the ahadith call for the killing of homosexuals and the Koran for those who spread mischief/corruption in the land? (the Koran also talks of honor killing your children if they become rebellious or apostates)

Anyways, just let me know which Christian organizations in the United States (I can think of only one - but they're not active in Africa) that calls for the killing of homosexuals. This contrasts with the mainstream teachings of Islam - hence why the death penalty for homosexuality exists in more than a half dozen Muslim/Islamic nations.
event horizon

So, the African Christians are wrong but the US Christians are right?

Ok - I presume you have a non-racist explanation for this view? Or did you just mean that the African Churches using the Bible to call for the killing of Gays don't represent the majority of Christians (generally)?

(What you think Islam teaches is really neither here nor there - I'll ask you about your opinion of Islam when the need arises.)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Your article doesn't actually say that Ugandans are using the Bible to support legislation that would make homosexuality punishable with death, now does it?
event horizon

The article states this:
The legislation was drawn up following a visit by leaders of U.S. conservative Christian ministries that promote therapy they say allows gays to become heterosexual.

Is this not what the Bible says about Homo-se.xuality and its punishment:

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.(Leviticus 18:22 KJV)
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.(Leviticus 20:13 KJV)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Thank you for confirming that the legislation some Ugandans (but seems unlikely to pass) are proposing does not say that the Bible is being used to support the killing of gays - that's your own spin.

The funny thing is that the US missionaries who are being blamed for the homophobia of some Ugandans themselves do not support the killing of homosexuals - they simply 'promote therapies' for homosexuals to cure them.

On a side note, didn't the UAE do exactly that for a group of gays recently arrested ?

But hey, why let facts get in the way of good loon spin?

Edit:

Here are the headlines I was referring to above about the UAE:

The US has condemned the arrests of 26 gay men during a raid on a party at a hotel in the United Arab Emirates earlier this month.

Washington also warned the UAE that any attempt to administer hormone or psychological treatment would break international law.

Police launched on Tuesday disciplinary proceedings against an officer who published photos taken during the raid, but did not respond to the criticism.

Homosexuality is illegal in the UAE.

Hormone therapy

A police spokesman said the foreigners were likely to be deported, while the Emirati men could be given hormone therapy if they consent.

The BBC's Gulf correspondent, Julia Wheeler, says there is a suggestion that agreeing to such treatment could be used as a bargaining tool for a reduction in an individual's sentence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4482892.stm

And here's another article proposing that homosexual students in the UAE seek therapists to cure them:

http://cplash.com/post/Too-close-for-co ... AE530.html
event horizon

I presume therefore you're not disputing the Biblical pronouncements:

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.(Leviticus 18:22 KJV)
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.(Leviticus 20:13 KJV)

Are you arguing that the UAE is following Biblical laws by doing what US missionaries and Ugandan Christians are advocating? I trust you're not trying out another 'what about' argument?

What a strange argument. :shock:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nope - Muslims are following Islamic law when they kill homosexuals.

Just as Muslims should be following Islamic law in stoning and lashing those who have pre-marital and extra-marital relations (and confine women guilty of whoredom), don't you agree?

what US missionaries and Ugandan Christians are advocating?

Therapy for homosexuals?

Yes, many Muslim countries probably advocate that - but many other Muslim countries simply kill homosexuals.
event horizon

I thought the Ugandans and US missionaries were Christians?

Are you not going to acknowledge what the Bible says?:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:A newspaper in Uganda calls for the hanging of Gays after it publishes a list of 100 'top' gays in the country, along with photos. AP reports that following the publication a week ago, at least 4 have been attacked.

This follows an attempt at passing a law against Gays (including the death penalty for some gay acts) that was inspired by US missionaries who preach that therapy can make gays straight

So Shafique is this an implication that you support the gay movement? Cos I always assumed you'd be far right and as such would'nt tolerate them.

Anyways here's how I see it, Personally I think all religions, be it Islam or Christianity have a right to denounce whomsoever they want on whatever grounds they deem fit. From personal experience(as a child we were made to work and spend time with the sick and the old) I can vouch that both the religions have never denounced anybody based on sickness....in the days or yore when lepers, aid's patients were ostracized by society these religions opened their doors and educated society.
Likewise with gays the sooner these religions come up with an understanding of the concept the better. That's not to say they don't try to assess the situation...they just believe that it's a matter of choice. The fact of the matter is that research on the subject has not been conclusive. So I think it's only fair that religious organizations draw a line somewhere.
Personally I'm a liberal, and have no problems as such with anyone.
But realistically one can't expect age old beliefs to change overnight (this is in reference to religious institutions)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nothing like a well hung gay...

as they say in downtown Kampala!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Misery Called Life wrote:So Shafique is this an implication that you support the gay movement? Cos I always assumed you'd be far right and as such would'nt tolerate them.

Nope, sorry - my views are pretty much as per God's instructions in the Bible and the Quran in regards to the acts of Homose.xuality. I view it as a sin - in the same way adultery is a sin. That said - I know guys and gals who have committed adultery and also guys who are gay (but only one girl who is gay). We get on fine, even though they know I consider homo-se.xuality to be a sin. Amongst us some us agree with our respective views on politics, movies and music - whilst some have different tastes and views. We all tolerate each other pretty well.

So, I absolutely tolerate gays and their rights to protest and work for more gay rights. I don't however agree that they should be given those rights - any more than I think that society should be tolerant about adultery and fornication. On a personal level though - what someone does in the privacy of their bedrooms is up to them - don't put it in my face, whether you're hetero or homo.

Do I think fornication and adultery should be tolerated in society? No - I think it would be better overall if everyone followed the moral code taught by pretty much all religions. Same goes with economics and justice - I have my views on what is best for society etc.

Do I think that fornicators, adulterors and gay people should be killed - no, I don't. God doesn't say this in the Quran, so I don't have an issue opposing capital punishments for these 'crimes'. Indeed, the burden of proof for these 'crimes' in Islam (as per the Quran) means it is almost impossible to convict someone - you need to provide 4 other witnesses to the deed for there to be a conviction. Thus says the Quran. (And the punishment is still lashes, not death.)

Therefore, for me, the religious teachings are more for those who choose to follow the religion of the Quran as a guide - a moral compass for those who wish to build up stable societies and homes that are like paradise. The building block is a happy married life that provides a loving environment for children.

Now, the point of this thread was to illustrate that intolerance in the name of religion is not really limited to one religion.

The death penalty for sodomy is in the Bible and the Ugandans wish to turn back the clock and implement this punishment (which, let's remember also was law in many US states until relatively recently).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Did you know they hold Gay Exorcisms in the USA? :shock:

Do you think when the gay demons are expelled they go around and tidy up the room? :mrgreen:

http://www.queerty.com/why-are-exorcism ... -20100607/
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oh my I quick (mis) read the title again. I thought it said hung gays ! I was wondering since when did shaf get into homo p<3n !!!!
desertdudeshj

Re: Hang Gays: Newspaper Headline Oct 28, 2010
^PSML

:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Hang Gays: Newspaper Headline Oct 30, 2010
shafique wrote:Did you know they hold Gay Exorcisms in the USA? :shock:

Do you think when the gay demons are expelled they go around and tidy up the room? :mrgreen:

http://www.queerty.com/why-are-exorcism ... -20100607/

Yes, they go and put throw pillows on the beds.

There are some youtube videos about this, acually they all seem to be about the same exorcisim of a teenage boy at one non-demoninational Conneticuit church. This could be doing serious harm to the boy - In the worst case, if he was really convinced that he was possessed by demons then he could go and kill himself.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk