Bill Maher: Our 'extremists' Vs Theirs

Topic locked
Bill Maher: Our 'extremists' vs theirs Feb 20, 2011
A bit of common sense from someone not afraid to speak his mind (no doubt if he joked of Bush, some loon on the forum would have quoted him without second thought).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvhNZC5 ... re=related

:mrgreen:

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Bill Maher: Our 'extremists' vs theirs Feb 21, 2011
LOL - He makes very good points!

"Pat Robertson.. is an idiot" etc. Maher didn't mention the Westboro Christian fanatics (see pics below) - but that wouldn't be as funny. And he's right to criticise the Muslim extremists- but let's face it this is a comedy routine.

Granted he is more coherent and correct than the Robert Spencer and Pam Geller, so I guess for loons this passes as an 'intellectual speech'. But that's great - let's have more of these coherent points rather than incoherent myths and rants.

Here are some pics of the Westboro Baptist Church demonstrators with their 'moderate' form of Christian extremism:

:shock: :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Bill Maher: Our 'extremists' vs theirs Feb 21, 2011

But we have Christian extremists too!

A bit of a lame attempt to compare the Westboro people, who are putting on a show for their own publicity, to actual forms of religious extremism.

Maher didn't mention the Westboro people because his routine was delivered in 2002 or so, well before the Westboro people became famous.

But I agree with what Bill is actually saying, surprised you didn't quote him in full (not really).
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Bill Maher: Our 'extremists' Vs Theirs Feb 21, 2011
LOL - I'm reminded of the time you were a Tali-tubby and making weird fatwas about Islam! :)

Westboro Baptists are indeed extremist American Christians and no Muslim I know have applied the loon logic that exaggerates their views/numbers or say that their use of the Bible is the 'truth'. You have been coy about which of their extremist/unorthodox views you share - eg Rapture. But hey, let's not get sidetracked by your extremism and support for extremists.. we have a thread for that already:
philosophy-dubai/most-extreme-religous-fanatic-here-t41961.html

But I'm glad we both agree with what Bill is actually saying - as I pointed out in my first post, I DO think that Muslim extremists should be tackled - and laughing at them is part of that.

(But let's be clear - where Bill is making comedy points - such as saying he IS suggesting that Richard Simmons is beheaded - @1.15 - I'm laughing with him and not agreeing that Simmons should be killed etc. I also don't think he seriously thinks the Saudis are chopping heads off for 'not rewinding'. It's a comedy routine.. :roll: )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk