VIOP Trouble

Topic locked
VIOP Trouble May 09, 2006
found this post on a pilots forum (PPrune)

Not sure of all the details as of yet. But have just been informed by a quite distressed next door neighbours wife (non EK), that a few persons from her husbands' company have been arrested in a nearby Emirate because of some VOIP hardware they were using. All members of this company have been warned today not to use any VOIP, as your favourite phone company, and the police are conducting a crack down.
It was an independant system with phone attached and not via the PC . Not sure of the brand name, or how they were found out. Seems Police raided the homes, and took all PCs and the phones, and locked the guys up. Charges are pending.
Anyone else have any info about this?

dell
Dubai Forums Member

May 09, 2006
No not heard but this wouldn't surprise me given the telco wants to keep a majority hold on the voice traffic. Voice traffic means chargable instances. Chargable instances mean $£€ in revenue.

Shame, I've not yet seen any law on VoIP and whether its regarded as technical subterfuge or other. Doubt there is a law governing the use of the telephony system to send anything other than chargable voice calls and data. Camels!

Still, there's a nice program called TOR onion routing. Anyone heard of it? I think I read a while back ,possibly 8 months that someone had made a mod that allows VoIP packets to be disassembled and reassembled in the correct order. Makes obfuscating the data much harder when using Skype to 'evade' the ludicrously expensive calls home eh? Other than that, pigeons being made illegal?!?

Fucktard Dibbles!
I Agree to these terms
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 10, 2006
Yo Dell ..

This is confirmed. There was a recent crackdown over this issue & many people have been arrested for this.

I got this news yesterday from a person i know who does VOIP installations. Even he is scared about being busted.

Etisalat already have started blocking major VOIP Services & Calling Card systems.

A crackdown on all internet cafes, computer shops & some known companies has been around for a while now. But these days its in a full Boost.

There was this internal news i got where somebody told me that Etisalat or the new telecom is to launch Internet Calling cards & VOIP Services.
So may be this is the reason they are bursting out other companies to put in their own stuff

Anyone who is caught using VOIP or anything such... they are into the bars + Lot of fines + confiscations.

So people out there.. beware....
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 11, 2006
why would they want to ban this program?
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 11, 2006
175bpm wrote:why would they want to ban this program?

'cause if people use it Etisalat loses potential revenue.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 13, 2006
They are infact loosing nothing.

Even if people are using voip, they are indirectly using internet service from them & they are making a successful revenue no matter what.

Until and unless ( which by sept / oct of this year ) a new isp runs in & there is competition, there is nothing for them to worry about.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2006
well 12 fils a min for dial up internet, or AED 3/min to make a long distance call, you are right the make money both ways but not the same amount. My phone bill is AED 2500/month my internet AED 250/month. My opinion is Etisalat is hungry they want both streams of revenue.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 13, 2007
Hello,

I am introducing you a new VOIP Phone, namely PC2Phone.

The following are the features of this Phone.

· Excellent Voice Clarity, just like ordinary phone , without any delay, break & echo in the conversation.

· Seconds billing (6/30 billing)...Means , Your calls will be charged in

multiples of 6 Seconds .For example, If your call lasts for only 6 sec, you will be charged only for 6 sec, not for 1 minute , unlike all other PC to phone Services. Similarly, if your call lasts for 2 minutes & 20 seconds, you will be charged for 2 minutes & 24 seconds only, not for 3 minutes, unlike other PC to Phone services.

· Resistant to blocking by ISPs like Etisalat , since it uses VOIP Tunneling by creating a VPN.

Further the rates to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philippines etc, are very low.

In other words, the cash you paid for this PC2Phone Card will be worth returning.

If you would like to buy in wholesale, or want to become a reseller, Please reply to muneerkm@gmail.com with details such as How many cards you can buy per day, Commission % and preferably with mobile number.

We can provide cards at attractive reduced rates.
We can give test accounts also to check the Voice clarity.

If you would like to buy in retail, you can either send email to muneerkm@gmail.com

BE CLOSER WITH YOUR FRIENDS & RELATIVES THROUGH PC2PHONE!!!

PAY LESS & TALK MORE!!!
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk