Is It Safe To Conect To Free WiFi Hotspots In Dubai

Topic locked
Is it Safe to conect to Free WiFi Hotspots in Dubai Jun 10, 2007
So here's a techy question: If you jump onto someone's wifi connection can they tell who has been on it. If you connect and then surf and then disconnect is there a history of you being there? Does is store a MAC address or something else unique to you laptop?

XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 10, 2007
XPClone wrote:So here's a techy question: If you jump onto someone's wifi connection can they tell who has been on it. If you connect and then surf and then disconnect is there a history of you being there? Does is store a MAC address or something else unique to you laptop?

It is possible to setup most routers to do this, but most come out of the box configured not to. In fact, most routers I've stumbled onto still have the default factory password as well... with nothing set up.

You're only an amateur until you've built a cantenna.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 10, 2007
Ha ha - I've seen those cantenna websites. Very good!
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 24, 2014
^ian^ wrote:--- snip ---
It is possible to setup most routers to do this, but most come out of the box configured not to. In fact, most routers I've stumbled onto still have the default factory password as well... with nothing set up.

You're only an amateur until you've built a cantenna.

IMO, what's more terrifying are users setting up FREE (intentionally unencrypted) wi-fi to entice users to connect.
Once users are connected, every packets they sent can be snooped on by a connecting server (specially for assembling packets).
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk