Need Tech Help

Topic locked
need tech help May 14, 2006
i've been asking this to some people...is it suitable to have 1 gigabyte of RAM on a 1.86 Ghz Intel processor. A friend told me once the more the memory the better...but does it still apply in this case. i need it to run heavy graphics applications.

saracen
Dubai Forums Member

Re: need tech help May 14, 2006
saracen wrote:i've been asking this to some people...is it suitable to have 1 gigabyte of RAM on a 1.86 Ghz Intel processor. A friend told me once the more the memory the better...but does it still apply in this case. i need it to run heavy graphics applications.

Yes.

Generally you'll get better performance spending 500 dhs to double your RAM than getting a 20% faster CPU. Although as I know very little about graphics applications, you should probably get a second opinion in that case.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
You will get good performance, but it depends on your graphic card as well. The more memory, the better performance.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 15, 2006
graphics and ram are key. I opt for XFI and corsair or Geil. However, the higher the graphic card capacity the more power it needs. So you will need to look into a power source adequate.

Honestly, the extra bucks you will spend on this upgrade, add a few more hundred dirhams and get a new board and processor. Overwork your 1.8 and you could fry it and or your baord.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2006
will a laptop with these specs to be used for graphics applications do the work? i mean, like really cutting edge graphics utilising software such as Maya, 3D Max, lightwave etc. i have a 256mb ATI Radeon graphics card with that.
saracen
Dubai Forums Member

May 19, 2006
Cant really comment on that ... :shock: I think it will atleast do the job. About the cutting edge performance part .. dont really think so..but do give it a try
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jun 05, 2006
heat should be your worry from a laptop with high specs. There is one laptop from Alienware using dual 7800GTX cards in SLi + 2GB ram and a horrifically fast processor 4800+

The problem is that:

1. It weighs a ton
2. It heats up like a fryer...place it on your lap and you fry your nuts easily.
3. Costs buckets of money

Laptops are made for mobility and I dont support the notion of a desktop replacement. f furthermore....you can't tinker with it as easily as a desktop.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk