Internet Speed In Dubai,UAE

Topic locked
Internet Speed in dubai,UAE Aug 09, 2008
hi friends i m new in forum and my first post i m living in south korea and moving to dubai next week as my company project manager
the thing i want to know that what is dubai and near cities internet speed here in south korea we have 2 kind of speed 10mbps for all offices and 100mbps for homes so my home net speed is 100 mbps i know korea have most fast speed in world but hoply u guide me and tell me what kinds speed and there price there as i cant live without net
ill also ask other things sometimes hope u all guys gona help me
thanks bye

kaine2006
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 09, 2008
First of all welcome to Dubai.

here is the info u need, hope u find it useful

http://etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lang=en&ty ... 05000a____

Prinze.
prinze
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 10, 2008
Etisalat techincal department have informed me one of their international internet cables are down causing a 50% to even a complete halt with Internet access.....from time to time....place to place...

Matter will be resolved hopefully this month.

Upgrading ur speed wont help you...

And yes...it has not been anounced on the news
guest999

Nov 18, 2008
oh, that's a far distance
armadalake
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 09, 2008
I hope they will become a world class ISP or one in Dubai starts up, because everything else in Dubai appears to be world class.

The UAE has the money, power and connections to have the fastest, and most reliable internet connections in the world.

If only I knew how to contact someone in charge of overseeing UAE's telecom industry
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2008
im quite happy with DUs 12MB line. Costs a bucket but they do deliver the upload and download speeds they say.

www.du.ae
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008
hi,

I leave in mediacity area have a 2Mb/512kb package. DL speed ain't what it is supposed to be ( most part of the time 1Mb )
In such a new country, where all the infrastructures are new and supposedly optical, am just surprised and shocked to see those poor and so costy internet connections, when in europe with the old phone network they offer 20Mb for 150AED/ Month.
The authorities want to make of Dubai a futuristic, a technology advanced country.....IN THOSE CONDITIONS ?
On my side I need a fast and confortable internet connection to work decently.
freelancer64
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 28, 2008
well, there are factors. This cable issue has us all from DU routed eastwards right now with only 20% running through 1 cable westwards. You will get speed degredation.

Also, both operators are throttling any vpn, p2p and download speeds to ensure that regular browsing is not affected.

As far as I know as of now, the cable issue off egypt is still not rectified 100%. If its speed you want, you need to pay (price we pay for duapoloies :))

Depending on what you want, the speeds are there but you cant judge based on the issues now. Being here for 8 years, i can tell you that when things are 100%, the speed is super fast. Then again, at MediaCity, i am not sure if they also curtail speeds as both residential and businesses operate from one area.

Wait till Jan 1 and then check. Also, you might have an issue with your IPV box at home. I had this and due to a faulty board, my speed was terrible. Once Du replaced it, it came back super fast. If speed is the need, check their packages. I agree, bandwidth on 2MB is poor but that is the bulk of what customers are on.

If you are a hardcore net user, you will need to go for higher as they dedicate far more bandwidth for that.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008
i agree with all this....but the price they ask is simply RIDICULOUS ;-)
freelancer64
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 28, 2008
maybe one day we will get near to earth pricing! dubai aint as cheap as what they claim. :evil:
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk