HTTP Content Filtering?

Topic locked
HTTP Content filtering? Mar 11, 2007
I have a small office running Windows Server 2003 as a NAT server with ISA firewall.

I need to include the capability of blocking sepecific words from the users. Such as "games", "torrents" etc.

There are so many ways and softwares to use, can you guys please tell me how you do it, or what you use?

Thanks,
Dave

guest999

Mar 11, 2007
Why not just email a copy of the user log around?

That usually works. Nothing works better than peer pressure.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 17, 2007
set the server as the default gateway and use it as a transparent proxy using third party applications

would have been much easier if you were using squid
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Mar 17, 2007
Exactly, advice me of a nice 3rd party application. I dont have the time to download hundreds and test them all.

Squid....is it as good and easy as ISA 2004 reporting system?

The amount of detail i can get from it with EASE....is just amazing,.
guest999

Mar 18, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:Squid....is it as good and easy as ISA 2004 reporting system?

I used squid as a gateway (trans proxy) when i was a sys-ad. I also ran iptables and freeswan IPSEC on the same box. It took me ages to get it all going but it was the best bit of kit I have built. The squid part was easier - it was the tweaking and tunning which took a bit of time.

It was built on an old 486 running debian, but it happily served 19 developers internally and 6 road warriors outside.

To use squid though you need to know some unix - unless of course they have made a win32 port now.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Mar 18, 2007
So u admit its a waste of time. Pay a littl emoney, get ISA....and vuwala....u get allll the power of control u need with ease.

Why type 15 lines of code when u can do all that in one click :D
guest999

Mar 18, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:So u admit its a waste of time. Pay a littl emoney, get ISA....and vuwala....u get allll the power of control u need with ease.

Why type 15 lines of code when u can do all that in one click :D

Well...it's worth learning unix as you get paid more $ in the long run as well, but that may not apply to your line of work.

Technically:

One costs nothing - is more configurable, can run faster on half the memory and processing power, never requires a reboot and is not full of security holes, never bottoms out with a blue screens showing arcane memory / video exceptions that are of no intelligible value etc etc.

the other....opposite of the above :)

But if you need a quick fix and cash is no probs ISA may be better.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Mar 18, 2007
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Mar 18, 2007
Thank you.
guest999

Mar 25, 2007
Hey d00d. . . you are using MS-ISA . . . I like to play with ISA sometimes by the way :D
With MS-ISA 2K4 and above you can make a lot of things . . .Simply it's just a complete firewall and caching system . . .

Any way . . . for your convince I checked this article for you, it's formatted and includes explanation pictures . . .

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Configuring-ISA-Server-2006-HTTP-Filter.html

e-lad
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk