How Can I Secure (lock) My Wireless Connection?

Topic locked
how can i secure (lock) my wireless connection? Oct 26, 2006
well, lately my 256k seimens speedstream modem has become very slow at times. im definitely sure that someone else is using my wireless connection which doesnt have a network password.

ive tried calling siemens but no one picked up...weird.

well, can someone please give me simple steps (or detailed advanced ones :D) on how to secure my connection so that others cant use it?

any help will be appreciated.

thanks

redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: how can i secure (lock) my wireless connection? Oct 26, 2006
The best way to block anyone from using your wireless connection other than putting a WEP Key and enabling Restricted network is to use your MAC address or whst called MAC Address filtering.

Every Ethernet or Wireless WLAN on laptops and desktops, has a MAC address.

Go to START, click on RUN and type cmd

then type ipconfig /all

You will gte whats called a Phyiscal Address or MAC address .. Example is below:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-13-AE-9B

Go to your Router Systems Administration page by opening up the web browser and putting in the router IP address.. For example: http://192.168.0.1

This will bring you to the Router COnfig page where you can customize your settings.. Go to the Wireless section and put in the MAC address in the MAC filtering section.. add it, save it and restart the router

If you want specific steps, let me know what the Speedstream Router Model number is and ai'll see if I can get you detailed description

Adding MAC addresses in the MAC Filtering section allows only those computers whose MAC addresses have been added to access the internet making it safe.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 04, 2006
thanks guys..

i did the WEP thingy and it works fine now.

thanks again :)
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk