High Latency On Internet

Topic locked
High latency on internet Jul 06, 2006
I have only recently arrived here, but happily discovered my apartment had internet conection. However, I play a MMORPG, and I am having terrible problems with the latency. It seems to vary between 250 and 700 milliseconds. This means that sometimes I am dead before my bullet has even gone :(

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this - or is it the same for everyone ? Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Thanks

Grot

Grot
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 06, 2006
I do believe its the same for anyone using etisalat.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 07, 2006
I see massive dropouts on certain IP routes that I use for work and the traceroute/ICMP often reminds me of the 14.4k dial-up modem connections I was using 10 years ago. Unless you fancy selling your first born child and robbing a bank to pay for the cost of a leased line there's nothing you can do about response times. Until Etisalat/Tecom decide to invest in VOIP technology nothing will change. For now, the bad IP routing in the country encourages people to use normal phones which suits their businesses.

SDB
shinydiscoballs
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 08, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll now have to take the position that I am better off knowledgable and unhappy, than ignorant and hopeful.

And as for the other options, I don't think my wife will let me sell our daughter for 'just a game' :wink:

Thanks again
Grot
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 09, 2006
you will need to tweak your settings in the registery. Also, you will need to change your locks in the modem under advanced tools. See your modem for instructions.

The latency is set remotely but can be fixed if your PC increases the ttl and a few other registery settings. You can get a ready made tweak at broadband guide or similar websites.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2006
try downloading steam and playing CS thay have a server hear in the uae and the pings are SWEEEEEEEEET !
esteve
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 26, 2006
Do you have DSL? If you have DSL and not broadband then try this and read post http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10072

You could also try moving your computer and/or move your ADSL line and/or remove any other phones on the line. My DSL would drop out every few minutes, but when I moved my computer and strung up the ADSL line so it doesn't touch any other cables, I got PERFECT connection

Like I said in post 10072, DSL is sensitive to line noise and that can cause it to disconnect or slow down dramatically
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk