GPRS Working On PDAs

Topic locked
GPRS working on PDAs May 12, 2008
HI all,

We recently purchased around 5-6 HTC Touch PDAs but the problem is that the GPRS never works on them if we go outside of the country even though we have global roaming package + unlimited data package. GPRS works fine within the UAE.

etisalat is not willing to help us because they don't support HTC or other PDA except for Blackberry so this made me wondering, what do you people usually do when you go outside of the UAE and want to use GPRS? Do you get the local network provider settings or what ?

thanks

Cyberslam
Dubai Forum User

May 13, 2008
Contact Etisalat and check that you are enabled for international data roaming. This is different from the voice international roaming.

When in the foreign country you will need to ensure that Etisalat have international data roaming agreements with that country and network. Your voice calls may work on that network but they may not have an agreement for GPRS data.

Try to manually search for other networks on your handset and then connect to other networks when in the foreign country.

Etisalat will be able to tell you which networks that have voice and data roaming agreements with.

Hope this helps. :D
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

May 13, 2008
I just contacted Etisalat to find out about international roaming and they said that i do have the international roaming and i should be able to use GPRS on that networks with whom etisalat has agreement with. But even then i am never able to get it to work.

The person i spoke to wasn't sure whether there data roaming and voice roaming are two different things. I think they are the same as they have no information on data roaming on their website as well.
Cyberslam
Dubai Forum User

May 14, 2008
Cyberslam wrote:I just contacted Etisalat to find out about international roaming and they said that i do have the international roaming and i should be able to use GPRS on that networks with whom etisalat has agreement with.

Not true - the network you are roaming onto may have voice agreements but not data.

For example - the Blackberry I use is on a UK BT sim. If I roam onto etisalat then I can use voice and data. If I roam onto Du then I can only use voice and not data.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

May 14, 2008
Whatever the case, i DO NOT recommend anyone using Etisalats or Du's GPRS Internet due to the EXTREMLY high price rates they charge!

I used to ONLY CHECK MY MAIL (dont download attachments) and browse sites very rarely! and ended up paying 1000 AED for 1 month!

Say no to drugs....say no to Etisalat and its evil sister Du.
guest999

May 15, 2008
XPClone wrote:
Cyberslam wrote:I just contacted Etisalat to find out about international roaming and they said that i do have the international roaming and i should be able to use GPRS on that networks with whom etisalat has agreement with.

Not true - the network you are roaming onto may have voice agreements but not data.

For example - the Blackberry I use is on a UK BT sim. If I roam onto etisalat then I can use voice and data. If I roam onto Du then I can only use voice and not data.

Yes, i have tried using the GPRS on networks which have data agreement with etisalat but still it doesn't work.. i
Cyberslam
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk