DU - .ae Domain Forwarding

Topic locked
DU - .ae domain forwarding Jun 13, 2007
So our website is currently hosted by the geniuses at DU which allow us to store a whopping 25MB of data and charge us a small fortune for it. On top of that they provide first class tech support with their agents getting baffled when I use obscure terms such as FTP, SSH or Apache. This results in me getting assigned a "complaint number" and the issue being passed back and forth between agents like a hockey puck.

Does anyone know if it is possible to forward a .ae website to a normal hosting company like 1and1 or godaddy?

Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Re: DU - .ae domain forwarding Jun 13, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:So our website is currently hosted by the geniuses at DU which allow us to store a whopping 25MB of data and charge us a small fortune for it. On top of that they provide first class tech support with their agents getting baffled when I use obscure terms such as FTP, SSH or Apache. This results in me getting assigned a "complaint number" and the issue being passed back and forth between agents like a hockey puck.

Does anyone know if it is possible to forward a .ae website to a normal hosting company like 1and1 or godaddy?

Do they not give you control of the the domain name and modifying of nameservers?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: DU - .ae domain forwarding Jun 13, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to forward a .ae website to a normal hosting company like 1and1 or godaddy?

Possible, yes. Easy? Don't know. Like gtmash says, if you have access to nameserver settings then yes.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 13, 2007
Unfortunately we can't control anything related to our website, let alone the DNS entries; this is one of the main reasons I want to switch hosts. The only thing we can do right now is connect via FTP to upload files.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 13, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Unfortunately we can't control anything related to our website, let alone the DNS entries; this is one of the main reasons I want to switch hosts. The only thing we can do right now is connect via FTP to upload files.

Look into zoneedit.com, although I don't think it'd help in your case. Another thing you can do is just set up a forward from the .ae homepage on the Du server, forwarding to another site on another host.

Or start over with a different .com domain name?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 13, 2007
Ok, I contacted them and they said that it might be possible (although the guy didn't seem to be very confident). I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your replies guys!
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 14, 2007
it should be possible, since i have done it with .ae from Etisalat. You might have to contact UAEnic.ae rather than the DU.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 23, 2007
You may want to contact uaenic since they control your domain name. Otherwise you can also talk to the guys from aeserver.com i have a few sites with them.
munir2pac
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 23, 2007
hey also do you have the link as to where you can see all the du hosting packages?
munir2pac
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 23, 2007
of course it's possible, but since they don't know what they're doing I think you'll have a hard time...

They need to unlock you domain and give you a transfer authorization, then you can give this info to your new company and wait 24-48 hours until the WW DNS's make the changes...
samduboon1
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk