Buying Electronics

Topic locked
Buying Electronics Jun 01, 2007
I'm leaving for Dubai at the end of this month from the USA. I'm looking to buy a new laptop and a new digital camera. Does anyone have a recommendation on whether to purchase them here and bring them with me or to purchase them once I am in Dubai?

Thanks!
James

dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 02, 2007
i just went thru the same thing and bought everything back in the states cause i was able to find a good deal. plus most new electornics can convert to 220 as long as you get an adaptor.

good luck
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 02, 2007
thanks!
dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 02, 2007
nuzbim wrote:plus most new electornics can convert to 220 as long as you get an adaptor.

Most? Maybe some. Check anyway, you'll fry anything if it's only for 110v. A plug adapter doesn't change the voltage.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 02, 2007
Nowadays most Laptops and Cameras have a dual voltage adapater.. but make sure they run for 110 and 220

And please my American brother :P buy all your electronics in the US. Its cheaper, its hassle free

You're gonna kick yerself in the arse when you come here. :P

Difference between any Vendor in the US and Dubai is like comparing Heaven to Earth :P (US being heaven) :P hehe

What you will like Dubai for is, entertainment.. food and cars :P

After your first month passes by in Dubai, make sure you give us an update :P hehe

nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 03, 2007
bonk wrote:
nuzbim wrote:plus most new electornics can convert to 220 as long as you get an adaptor.

Most? Maybe some. Check anyway, you'll fry anything if it's only for 110v. A plug adapter doesn't change the voltage.

well as far as laptops and cameras, ya most of the ones i looked at work on both 110 an 220, as long as you have the adaptor. or maybe i just got lucky lookin at the products i bought.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 03, 2007
Most/all laptops will work on different voltages. I was meaning for general appliances - kettles, toasters, sybians, etc.

An adapter is not a power supply is what I was trying to point out.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 03, 2007
bonk wrote: sybians.

LOL!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 03, 2007

Just got this for 6800 AED

2.0 processor
120 GB Hard Disk
1 GB Ram