Broadband In Dubai?

Topic locked
Broadband in Dubai? Jul 14, 2005
Hey guys, i'm hopefulyl making it over on the 15th August but will be severly depending on the internet to stay in contact with my family - I heard there is only one service provider for internet in Dubai, which is censored!? and that it costs a fortune for up to ISDN speeds? is this right!?

Thankyou for your help!

Al.

SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 14, 2005
You are correct.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2005
even that they severly censor the internet??
SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 14, 2005
The Etisalat proxy censors the net yes....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2005
Well its not as bad as it sounds...yes Etisalat does censor the internet in the sense they have a proxy which restricts access to certain sites...but thats about the extent of their interference...plus I guess if you stay somewhere near Ski Dubai (in one of the Emaar properties), your internet is likely to be provided by Sahm rather than Etisalat and there is no restriction from them...ISDN is a bit unrealistic now, no one really goes for it...DSL is a much better solution...Its 190 pm for a 256K dedicated 24 hours line, but etisalat keeps having promotional packages (its called the Al Shamil service BTW) and I ended saving 2500 Dhs for an annual subscription (that saving is on hardware, anti virus, software and on the monthly rates for the first 3 months ie; half price)...Though you'll probably have ample access to internet at work, don't worry you'll never want for web access :)
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 14, 2005
thanks nik i will look in to it, 190pcm sounds much better! ISDN is an age old technology its actually cheaper for them to stick with ADSL which is why iwas so suprised! i live in the country in england and run a basic 2mb connection.
SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 14, 2005
I have 6.1mb....

My buddy is at 11mb.... He has extreme high speed package for cable I have regular high speed cable...

Ahh when I think back to the days of my 9.6K modem that I used to have on my 286... WOW!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2005
Riiiiiiiight....so ADSL is avaliable however the usage is censored.
SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 14, 2005
SkierAL wrote:Riiiiiiiight....so ADSL is avaliable however the usage is censored.

the only thing censored is p<3n.
all internet resources are available, as well as all mail servers.
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 15, 2005
I just got a wireless connection and it runs pretty fast and is not overly expensive.

Dude you'll only come across censorship if you go looking for p<3n sites or anything that's considered un-Islamic here. But you can get sites unblocked if they've blocked them by mistake.

By the way it's actually an American company which does the censoring - go figure!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 16, 2005
It's not just p<3n that is restricted - unless you consider expatriates.com to be heading that way?!?!

Does anyone know why the stuff through Sahm (now DIC) is not censored? Just curious....

By the way SkierAl, don't rely on the internet at work - you can use it, but the connection is really slow and Ski Dubai itself has restricted access to even more sites, including hotmail.
KC
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 16, 2005
hehe
Read carefully now....only you and sniper made those connections.
I just made an "undesirable" connection. exp: www.pork-R-Us.com.

LOL

I don't mind paying for the landscaping...if there is one.
They should start charging me AFTER the have actually planted some.
All I get is sand everywhere in Springs. And cow manure!!!sheesh.
And the "landscape charges" is more then my 4 months water/electric bill!!
I mean..come on man. The whole of Spring is sharing this right?
There are over 4000-6000 units here. If each unit pays 200dhs a month for landscaping...that will be...*..err...*....well thats alot!!!!
Bloody tax free zone....they are taxing us under the table I tell you.

Oh yes..btw. I just want a connection thats fast enough to play "Counterstrike" online with a local ping of 20-30. Is there a good recomendation? I just got my computer.
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 16, 2005
alright.
You win the top prize for "Most Twisted Mind" Award.
I can't top that.
lol
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 16, 2005
And how does that affect your moral?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 16, 2005
thanks KC i will be making use of it, i spoke to caroline today and they have pushed back the departure dates until the 2nd september, devastated! :(
SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 07, 2007
Hello everybody :) This is my first post on DF ;)

SkierAL wrote:Riiiiiiiight....so ADSL is avaliable however the usage is censored.

It always looks like many people have problems with getting access to what they want on the internet in UAE because of filtering (censorship? ;) ). BW, it is not only p<3n that is filtered.

The solution is simple: you can use a "second level ISP" which will give you access to fully uncensored content by encapsulating all your traffic into a secure encrypted connection. Your local ISP won't be able to block your traffic and will even be unable to log which websites you are actually visiting.

There are many providers, such as:

www.trilighzone.org
www.perfect-privacy.com
www.privacy.li
www.secure-tunnel.com

etc...

Hope this helps :)
Ahmad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 07, 2007
thanks for posting the links
its all been blockked :)

PM people USE PM!!!!!
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 07, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:thanks for posting the links

PM people USE PM!!!!!

Warnings were posted before, when will people realize that this is a public forum, as said, use the PM function and things like this may stay usefull,
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 12, 2007
Liban wrote:I have 6.1mb....

My buddy is at 11mb.... He has extreme high speed package for cable I have regular high speed cable...

Ahh when I think back to the days of my 9.6K modem that I used to have on my 286... WOW!!

Those are great speeds for Dubai, where are you getting them from? I believe etisalat/du only offer up to 2mb/s
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 12, 2007
I was just checking out ADSL and prices in the UK.

For 220 Dhs you can get a 20MB non restricted connection - thats the same price I pay for a flaky, restricted 1MB connection with itsalot.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Sep 05, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
cheap_Deal wrote:thanks for posting the links

PM people USE PM!!!!!

Warnings were posted before, when will people realize that this is a public forum, as said, use the PM function and things like this may stay usefull,

PM me if you need the contact email of a service cited above. They would transmit you how to proceed by email and you could still subscribe that way ;)
Ahmad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

my trick Jul 14, 2008
You can just email admin@perfect-privacy.com if you want to setup an account. Don't let internet censorship bother you guys ;))
Ahmad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 06, 2009
You can also take a look at the IAPS Security Store for your particular internet privacy needs. For those of you that cannot reach our website, please email us here: staff@intl-alliance.com
iastaff
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 06, 2009
Ahmad wrote:Hello everybody :) This is my first post on DF ;)

It always looks like many people have problems with getting access to what they want on the internet in UAE because of filtering (censorship? ;) ). BW, it is not only p<3n that is filtered.

The solution is simple: you can use a "second level ISP" which will give you access to fully uncensored content by encapsulating all your traffic into a secure encrypted connection. Your local ISP won't be able to block your traffic and will even be unable to log which websites you are actually visiting.

There are many providers, such as:

www.trilighzone.org
www.perfect-privacy.com
www.privacy.li
www.secure-tunnel.com

etc...

Hope this helps :)

ahmad, got any idea of free proxies/services, which will encrypt traffic without restricting speed, sites and availability ?! pm me please.

tx.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 09, 2009
Is anyone interested in using a VoIP service from their computer without needing a VPN? If so, PM me. 1.5 cents/min to US/Canada landlines & mobiles.
FiberMan
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 09, 2009
FiberMan wrote:Is anyone interested in using a VoIP service from their computer without needing a VPN? If so, PM me. 1.5 cents/min to US/Canada landlines & mobiles.

there r cheaper services.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 09, 2009
Hey junior!

Sure, if you're happy with shoddy quality. Maybe some people would rather use true business-class connections instead of the mickey-mouse cheaper ones. :o
FiberMan
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 09, 2009
FiberMan wrote:Hey junior!

Sure, if you're happy with shoddy quality. Maybe some people would rather use true business-class connections instead of the mickey-mouse cheaper ones. :o

i'm talking about business class cheaper services. when i said cheaper, it IS much CHEAPER than what you are proposing mr.senior.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk