Aspirin
7%
Panadol (Paracetemol)
47%
Other
47%

Total votes : 15

Thursday Poll: Headache Cure - Panadol or Aspirin Sep 28, 2006
Again, discussing the things that matter.

Which do you think is better for getting rid of headaches?

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 28, 2006
Brufen for me, the others just make me sick. Plus you can drink on Ibuprophen, you can't on Asprin or Paracetamol. Brufen works on a different chemical level that doesn't react with alcohol.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 28, 2006
Ibuprofen works best for me.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
I would think Ibruprofen was a little much for a headache, kind of like using a sledgehammer to kill ants.
^ian^

Sep 28, 2006
Plus if you're drinking, why need a painkiller at all? Just drink it out, that's what I do.
^ian^

Sep 28, 2006
I agree with the two smart ladies who posted earlier....Ibuprofen is the best thing -- nothing else works.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
Well, I only use painkillers when I am in mega-pain. E.g. for migraine. And I have back pills (anti-inflammatories + pain relief) for when my back puts me out of commission. Otherwise, I don't take anything - just try to work out the cause.

If you have a less serious headache than a migraine you should go for a back, shoulder neck massage, because that is likely what causes the headache in the first place.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
Hrmmm... there are plenty of causes for a headache that require chemical treatment and can't be solved with a massage.

People are one of them.
Traffic.
Noise.
Stress.
Idiots.
Idiots.
Falling and hitting your head on a door handle.

I'm just amazed people go for the heavy stuff. I have ever taken brufen once in my life and that was when I had concussion.
^ian^

Sep 28, 2006
Traffic, noise, stress could all be cured by removing yourself from those situations and having a peaceful massage... A concussion or whacking your head on something is another matter :lol: . Ibuprofen is sold in different strengths, so it is just a matter of taking a lower dose.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
i take it every month :(

but i also go for a massage every week so i dont have to take it all the time.

massages help de-stress a person...so, ian, i think getting one would help out in most of the cases you listed.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
also, i found that chamomile tea helps sometimes
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
To get rid of a headache (read as hangover), I noramlly eat!

I don't suffer from headaches, at all. hangovers = yes. :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 28, 2006
yorky500 wrote:To get rid of a headache (read as hangover), I noramlly eat!

What's the best thing for a hangover? Drink lots!
^ian^

Sep 28, 2006
dont take medicine to cure a headache

either drink loads of water or take a nap

"Winners dont use drugs" ...haha i just wanted to say that
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
yorky500 wrote:To get rid of a headache (read as hangover), I noramlly eat!

What's the best thing for a hangover? Drink lots!

well I would suggest eating, but if its late in the day, get back in the pub! hahahahaha (yoursuggestion actually.) :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 28, 2006
Yeah, good point Bleakus - it could also be dehydration. Drinking lots of water is definitely a good first tactic for tackling the headache.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
Tell my wife to go to a different room.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 28, 2006
guys and ladies

you got to drink at least 3 - 4 litres of water a day, sounds crazy, and no you dont drink all at once ;). This is how much you drink when your not exercising

my advise, if your not doing it, start doing it because evenually you will get sick. It just like showering your body from the inside.....dudes ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
3 litres for men and 2.5 litres for women - in general.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
I thought it was 2 litres. 4 litres is dangerous - there is such a thing as drinking too much water.

Note, Marylin Monroe used to drink 4 litres a day Monday to Thursday, and then drank only black coffee all day friday. She reckons she used to lose a lot of weight doing this. Mind you, she's dead now, so take that advice with a grain of salt/sand/birdseed.
^ian^

Sep 28, 2006
My hubby and his friends were drinking about 4 litres when playing floor hockey outside in 40+ full sun heat.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
4 litres is way too much. It should be around 2 when not exercising. If you drink too much water you can actually wash essential salts and minerals out of the body, which can be fatal. It happened to a few people in the UK, they drank so much water, they washed all the essential things out of their system.

Also if you're outside and sweating alot, adding a little salt to the water will work wonders, or get some electrolyte sachets.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 28, 2006
They were drinking electrolytes too - mixed sachets of powder into the water. It was a tournament, and yes, they most certainly needed 4 litres after hours of playing and sitting outside. It is only if you drink 4 litres in too short a time that you can be sick.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
K, I said 4 is too much when NOT exercising. Clearly your guys were working hard so that's ok, and the electrolytes are good too. In that heat they'd get very dehydrated, very quickly, so it's all good.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 28, 2006
I take coffee for my headaches. As the only headaches I ever get are from lack of caffeine in the morning sometimes. Lucky me!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:4 litres is way too much. It should be around 2 when not exercising. If you drink too much water you can actually wash essential salts and minerals out of the body, which can be fatal. It happened to a few people in the UK, they drank so much water, they washed all the essential things out of their system.

Also if you're outside and sweating alot, adding a little salt to the water will work wonders, or get some electrolyte sachets.

if you drink slowly towards the day, then it not too much......youll find this information in fitness magazines and stuff ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
Concord wrote:I take coffee for my headaches. As the only headaches I ever get are from lack of caffeine in the morning sometimes. Lucky me!

yeah addiction sucks
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
Bleakus wrote:
Concord wrote:I take coffee for my headaches. As the only headaches I ever get are from lack of caffeine in the morning sometimes. Lucky me!

yeah addiction sucks

Ramadan without coffee has been tough.
^ian^

Sep 28, 2006
As much as possible, I dont want to drink panadol nor aspirin... I dont want to be drug dependent for a simple headache.

A cup of coffee sometimes helps. But in severe cases or for instant cure, i'll take 2 tablets of panadol.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 28, 2006
mraph33 wrote:Tell my wife to go to a different room.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai