Dolphins Show In Dubai

Topic locked
Dolphins show in Dubai Sep 30, 2010
Hi guys

just thought I'd bring this up (since I am a former mod of this section IIRC as well lol!), there is a great deal for families, school kids and children in general up on Cobone.com (Full link to discounted deal below). There is also another deal in DXB for a meal at Pizza Express in JBR which is still on... Worth having a look ;-)

http://www.cobone.com/deals/dubai/Dolphinarium/26

liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Dolphins show in Dubai Oct 03, 2010
Actually I would ask people NOT to go to these things!

You know that these wonderful animals were taken from the wild in the Solomon islands, ripped from their family pods, many killed in the process, to be put in a tiny tank for people's entertainment!

If you want to see dolphins then go on a dhow cruise to the Musandam and see them in the wild.

Dolphins in captivity is cruel and totally unnecessary.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dolphins Show In Dubai Oct 03, 2010
I have to 100% agree with, no make it 1000% agree with Chocs on this. I would still say, it would be ok if what chocs says it true, only a small portion come such, much more "humane operations"( Compared to whats comming up next ). 90% of the dolphins in these horrid freak shows are sold by the japanese from a small town taiji, and these are the lucky ones. The rest are all cornered and butchered and literaly hacked to pieces in a gruesome blood bath in the thousands and sold as food !

Watch the documentry The Cove, by the guy who was the first one to capture and domesticate these beautifull creatures Ric O barry and responsible for the famous flipper and now has turned around the fight. After watching this I doubt you could see a dolphin in these freak shows and not be filled with disgust and hate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_%28film%29

Watch the complete documentry, its available online.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Thank you for your comments guys, here are the comments provided by the guys running the doplhinarium:

We understand your point of view, however dolphinariums in today's day and age are becoming centers for marine education, captive management and propagation of endangered species. The dolphins at Dubai Dolphinarium are captive-bred and are cared for to international standards put in place by various groups and organizations. By having dolphins under human care we are learning more about their behavior and intelligence, which in the future could result in assisting wild populations.

We ensure that the dolphins at Dubai Dolphinarium have adequate space to socialize, we are importing certain fish species that they would normally find out within their natural habitats as well as include them in daily training sessions which stimulate them mentally and physically. Training is done through a process known as operant conditioning and positive reinforcement, where the dolphins are rewarded with various reinforces (a fish or a toy), it's all about working with the dolphins and becoming a part of their pod, we are basically extended family!

We thank you for your concerns.
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Dolphins show in Dubai Oct 03, 2010
And you believe that spin? I know for a FACT that the dolphins were not captive bred! They were caught in the Solomon islands and flown in from Mexico on an Emirates cargo flight!

Oh course the owners are going to tell you this garbage. Very very few dolphins are captive bred, the majority are caught from the wild.

In this 'day and age' there is no need for such archaic forms of entertainment. Also adequate room? Give me a break - a a tank compares to thousands of square miles of open ocean does it?

Also you can learn about them, do research etc in the wild. There os absolutely no need whatsoever to have these animals in captivity.

Please don't be so gullible.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dude come on, seriously ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Dolphins Show In Dubai Oct 04, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:Dude come on, seriously ?

Sadly people will believe everything they're told.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos