What Will Happen To The Package I Sent Without PO Box?

Topic locked
what will happen to the package i sent without PO box? Mar 02, 2009
Okay, so I got my mum to send my international drivers licence (which I had accidentally left at home) to me at my workplace. However, the address she put on the package (on my instructions) is my work address (eg Company Name, Building Name, Area, Dubai) and no PO Box because I didn't realise you needed it (I'm new here).

The guys in the mailroom in my office have kindly told me that I should have no hope of ever receiving my package. What do you guys think? I didn't put a phone number on the package either because I didn't have one.

Would calling the central post office help? Has anyone had this happen before. Do you know what they do with the badly addressed mail? Perhaps they will send it back to my home country?

krazykaz
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 03, 2009
It all depends on the service you used. Did you use DHL or FEDEX?
Express service or regular departure? More info please.

I worked for DHL International Aviation, so I can tell you that internal rules are strict but in some countries they are not all that sharp or correct with your package.

When you send a package you will be asked for all necessary information in order to make sure the package arrives at the right address. At arrival this gateway inbound cargo will be sorted by handscanner or manually.
A good sorter will use a handout with postal codes (if the information is incomplete) to search for the right box location. Building numbers etc. will surely help arrive your package with greater delivery accuracy but probably somewhat slower.

It depends completely on the attitude of the worker and the inbound sorters. Best quality carriers like DHL and FEDEX, improve your chance of proper delivery.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 03, 2009
It was sent by Australian international express post using Australia Post....
krazykaz
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 03, 2009
krazykaz wrote:It was sent by Australian international express post using Australia Post....

Did your mother have to fill out a form which included your phone number? or regular mail (address only) delivered on a "rush basis"? If there is no phone number don't count on getting it. If there is one, Emirates Post would more than likely to get your location.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 03, 2009
what's a rush basis?
krazykaz
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 03, 2009
krazykaz wrote:what's a rush basis?

She means XPS or Express service (within 24h departure)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 04, 2009
Eh you'll probably never get it! Without a PO Box or phone number, they find it very difficult to deliver stuff. There is no door to door postal service, unless you use a courier.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 04, 2009
I once was expecting a package for quite sometime and didn't have any arrival receipt in my Box. Then I asked the a guy at the counter and made him search and found it arrived. They just "forgot" to put a receipt in my Box and made me wait unnecessarily.

I suggest that you give it enough time to arrive and then go to the central post office and tell them your package has no PO box and ask them to search by your name or the sender's name or any information till they find it. And guess they will if it wasn't discarded and marked to be returned to the sender...
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 05, 2009
Check the nearest post office of the destination address, or check the central post office in Karama.
Happened to me once when it's supposed to be sent to office address in DIC (they won't even deliver it to a very obvious address), then I went to Wasl post office. They checked with my name and found one.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum