Teaching English Advice

Topic locked
Teaching English Advice Mar 09, 2009
I have been researching information on Dubai for a while now, but get wildly differing opinions on the likelihood of employment. I have been told that while my qualifications in general are excellent, my TEFL qualification will be lightly regarded in Dubai.
I have been teaching in the UK for ten years. I teach Literacy (including ESOL), Numeracy, and IT. I have the following qualifications:
Masters Degree in Global Biodiversity (University of Hull)
Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Biology (University of Birmingham)
PGCE in Post-compulsory Education (Oxford Brookes University)
In English I have A Level and my TEFL (i-i 40 hour online course, plus the 20 hour online grammar course).
In addition I am a member of the Institute of Learning, the Institute of Biology, and hold the title Chartered Biologist.
I was wondering if there is anyone on the Forum who might provide an insight into whether I do indeed need to augment my TEFL qualifications with more advanced courses before thinking of attempting to work in Dubai? In particular there was a Professional Trainer on some posts called bilal_dubai who provided sound advice for some people. However, the forum will not allow me to write to Bilal until I have made ten other posts first! If you are reading this Bilal I would welcome your comments!
Regards, Mark Maddox

Mark Maddox
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 11, 2009
If you want a good English teaching job you need a Master's degree. You'll get teaching jobs with TEFL but they won't pay well. Here's more about teaching in Dubai :).
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 12, 2009
He has a Masters degree, it just isn't in TESL subject area.

Mark, I think you should just apply to some of the schools and see what they will offer. You have teaching experience which is good, but your TESL certification may be questionable because it seems like a rather short course of study. I know there are lots of short TESL certification courses out there... Anyhow, no harm in applying to some schools and see what they offer.

Here's a link to Dave's ESL Cafe Job Discussion Forum for the United Arab Emirates - http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum ... bba534dd1e
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 13, 2009
Thanks both, I will follow those up and see where they take me. :D
Mark Maddox
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum