Racism - How Do You Deal With It?

Topic locked
Racism - how do you deal with it? Sep 10, 2007
I'm contemplating a move to Dubai and I've heard/ read a lot about the way South-east Asians and Asians are 'preceived' in this land of opportunities. Though most of the other things I've read in this forum are good about the city, the racism part makes my blood boil. I'm usually a very calm person but this is something that one should not tolerate. So I wonder how all Asians in Dubai handle it? Do you smack the person, ignore them, tell them off, or just live with it, cursing them (and yourself). I need to learn before I arrive :) so I know how to handle it. Thanks.

GOTTAHAVEFAITH
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 10, 2007
well it depends really.....violence doesnt always solve problems, sometimes it does but most of the time it doesnt. You can ignore them, makes their blood boil.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
For the most part you can ignore- but will still depend upon your patience- like when people look at you in a degrading way, or tell you that your english accent is weird or when service people do not attend to your needs as quickly and as politely as they would with certain races, etc. :wink:
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 10, 2007
usually i ignore it, then i give them a "i wish you die while you sleep" look. :)
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 10, 2007
i wonder if this will work

when someone is racist against you, just go up to them and hug them. Spread the love!
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
Bleakus wrote:i wonder if this will work

when someone is racist against you, just go up to them and hug them. Spread the love!

i will try hug woman wid ninja suit at mall. what wud happen?
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2007
^^Oh Oh can i watch?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
Bleakus wrote:^^Oh Oh can i watch?

it make me suspicus now. so maby hug guy wid white coffin.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2007
Sometimes I challenge them back no matter who they are. If I'm right then why should I be afraid? Ignoring will make them continue to behave like that. Someone needs to teach them a lesson.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 10, 2007
xty wrote:Sometimes I challenge them back no matter who they are. If I'm right then why should I be afraid? Ignoring will make them continue to behave like that. Someone needs to teach them a lesson.

Good for you. That is really the only way.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
It is not exactly racism as much as the stereotype that being "Indian-looking" or "Filipino-looking" automatically means you are poorer than them (unless you drive up in the Rolls), so they think they can walk all over you.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 10, 2007

watching too much of munna bhai are we :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
Jeevan wrote:

whats munna?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
Jeevan wrote:

whats munna?

baby. now it makes even less sense.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 10, 2007
It's a sad situation, but a real one, racism exists big time, in many forms.
It is also taboo to get violent or to swear and gesture, flipping someone the bird, if it's the wrong person can get you a month in prison. I believe the only way, as hard as it seems, is to turn the other cheek.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2007
have seen a lot of racism from South Asians to other South Asians!

I worked for Indians from Mumbai and New Dehli and they were quite racist aginst the "Darkies" from the south!
Rosbif71
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2007
racism itself is a poor attitude living in the world culture hybrid Dubai. I go for teaching them a lesson if the opposite looks week, and ignore if stronger than me, while turn to allah for help
tianye
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 28, 2007
what is flipping the bird?

i know middle fingers etc are very dicey here, as is violence, so if you really want to stand up, just copy whatever they do, then you cant get in trouble for escalating the situation. but they could!

or rise above it of course, but i would normally launch them (in uk), so i would have to do something!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 28, 2007
dave101 wrote:what is flipping the bird?

i know middle fingers etc are very dicey here, as is violence, so if you really want to stand up, just copy whatever they do, then you cant get in trouble for escalating the situation. but they could!

or rise above it of course, but i would normally launch them (in uk), so i would have to do something!

Flipping the bird - middle finger
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
Taxi drivers. Pfff.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum