Question...

Topic locked
Question... Oct 04, 2006
I have some questions regarding the residence laws in the UAE:

1- From my understanding, children under 18 years old dont need to undergo a blood test to get or renew thie residence visas. What happens when the child reaches 18 years old. Does s/he have to take the blood test directly or can s/he wait until the current visa expires and then take the blood test. I mean if a girl got her visa renewed at 17, will she take the blood test when she is 18 or she can wait till she is 20 and her 3 year visa needs renewal to get the blood test?

2- A similar case to the above but only for boys. Since boys cannot be under father's sponsorship when they turn 18, what happens if a boy got his visa while he was 17. Can he remain under his father's sponsorship until he turns 20 i.e. when his 3 year visa expires, or does it expire automatically when he turns 18.

Thanks

slap
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 04, 2006
I've been here since I was 1 year old and from what I remember, I've always had to do the blood tests. It's mainly a check for AIDS, Hepatitis, and other blood borne diseases. They occasionally and randomly do drug tests as well and there is a TB x-ray.

As for the over 18 visa, I'm almost 100% sure that the visa stays valid until the renewal date. After that he must obtain either a student visa, visit visa, or residence visa through employment at a company. I could be wrong about the type of visa he needs.
bear
Dubai chat master

Re: Question... Oct 04, 2006
slap wrote:I have some questions regarding the residence laws in the UAE:

1- From my understanding, children under 18 years old dont need to undergo a blood test to get or renew thie residence visas. What happens when the child reaches 18 years old. Does s/he have to take the blood test directly or can s/he wait until the current visa expires and then take the blood test. I mean if a girl got her visa renewed at 17, will she take the blood test when she is 18 or she can wait till she is 20 and her 3 year visa needs renewal to get the blood test? On the renewal of visa only

2- A similar case to the above but only for boys. Since boys cannot be under father's sponsorship when they turn 18, what happens if a boy got his visa while he was 17. Can he remain under his father's sponsorship until he turns 20 i.e. when his 3 year visa expires, or does it expire automatically when he turns 18. The age is only an issue upon expiry of the current visa

Thanks
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 04, 2006
bear wrote:I've been here since I was 1 year old and from what I remember, I've always had to do the blood tests. It's mainly a check for AIDS, Hepatitis, and other blood borne diseases. They occasionally and randomly do drug tests as well and there is a TB x-ray.

As for the over 18 visa, I'm almost 100% sure that the visa stays valid until the renewal date. After that he must obtain either a student visa, visit visa, or residence visa through employment at a company. I could be wrong about the type of visa he needs.

I have never heard of any need to carry out blood test for under 18 and I have been in UAE a long time.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 04, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
bear wrote:I've been here since I was 1 year old and from what I remember, I've always had to do the blood tests. It's mainly a check for AIDS, Hepatitis, and other blood borne diseases. They occasionally and randomly do drug tests as well and there is a TB x-ray.

I have never heard of any need to carry out blood test for under 18 and I have been in UAE a long time.

I am sure that I had visa blood tests when I was 11, 14, 17, and 22 years old. The family and I don't remember any farther back than that.
bear
Dubai chat master

Oct 04, 2006
hmmm, very strange.

ive never taken a blood test for anything in the uae -- ever.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
bushra21 wrote:

hmmm, very strange.

coz ur local and dont need a visa.

I was born here, and when i was on dad's sponsorship, i never did a blood test. Dependants (daughters/wives) even above 18 do not need blood tests as long as they are being sponsored by their husband/guardian.

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote: bushra21 wrote:

hmmm, very strange.

I was born here, and when i was on dad's sponsorship, i never did a blood test. Dependants (daughters/wives) even above 18 do not need blood tests as long as they are being sponsored by their husband/guardian.

well when i was younger i wasnt holding the uae passport. and when i first came to the uae in january i wasnt holding the passport then either. i have only officially been local, y3nee i hold the uae passport, for a month or two at the most. (not sure really)

i was always on a residency visa...it wasnt through my dad though, it was my mum.

anyhow, i just found it strange that yall needed to have blood tests, thats the first time i ever heard of it.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote: bushra21 wrote:

hmmm, very strange.

Well, I had a different experience. I did have to take the blood test to get my residence visa, and I've been sponsored by my husband. This was about 5 months ago, I was even pregnant at the time but still had to do it. I was only exempt of the x-ray for obvious reasons. And all my expat friends have done the same thing. So no idea why you didn't need one.
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2006
its weird how everybody has a different experience with this.....
slap
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 05, 2006
UAE Government rules at its typical best... :)

Btw, I was always in Abu Dhabi whilst younger, so maybe the rules for AD visas were different from Dubai.
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 05, 2006
I don't see any confussion here at all.

1. UAE Nationals do not need a blood test.

2. Non UAE National Children under the age of 18 do not need a blood test.

3. All Foreigners over the age of 18 are reuired to have a blood test.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum